U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,730,746 times
I don't see any good intentions in making a bald eagle a domesticated pet. If you want to do them any good, go out in the wild and study them that way.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:47 AM

2,574 posts, read 667,966 times
My intentions are great...

If,somehaw, BEs or other kind of eagles can be like trained hawks,they will live a marvellous life...

They will have a safe place to find food,a shelter to get...healthcare,protection from bad weather or tornadoes...
When they increase in numbers,they could be adopted by families who are capable of taking care of them...
I wonder if their instincts can be tamed or if eventually they will drift away...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,892,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
AMEN.

Crow Girl - I'm green with jealousy and there is much gnashing of teeth going on here... First it was vultures, now it's eagles. I bet tomorrow you're going to tell me you've rehabed owls. If you say owls, I'm going to get so jealous, I shall cry. *sniffles in preparation*
At the risk of making you hate me yes I do work with owls too. I've worked with all the owls native to Florida. I volunteer at two facilities, one of which handles only birds and the other of which handles birds and other native wildlife. One unfortunate effect of HArry Potter is that we get many questions about keeping owls as pets. Just as non-interactive and equally inappropriate as pets.

HEre is one of our permanent Great Horned Owls. She is missing a wing so will never be able to be released. As thrilling as it is to work with them there isn't single ne I wish could go back where it belongs, away from people.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/CrowGirl1970/Amber1.jpg (broken link)

To the OP - I don't believe anyone is doubting your intentions, it's just that you are underestimating the regulations, work, space and other elements that go into keeping raptors. You are correct that there are falconers who hunt with hawks, falcons and owls. In theory I don't see why an eagle couldn't do this too although I do not know of a single falconer that has an eagle. As I mentioned previously, unless the regulations have changed, the eagle would have to be permanently impaired and accessible to the public. They aren't "loyal" and the training that you are referring to is pretty limited....falconers train their hawks to sit on the fist, wear hoods, possibly come to a lure. But make no mistake all f this is simply working with their predatory instincts.

To become a falconer and get a license to keep a hawk or falcon you have to serve an apprenticeship with a master falconer, then advance to journeymen, and then finally to master falconer. You have to be comfortable with breaking the necks of rats and rabbits.

The other possibility would be getting a rehabbers license. Also a great deal of work.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,645,569 times
OP: you are not being honest with yourself. You really want to do this for yourself, not the birds. I don't really blame you--as humans, when we see animals that we revere or love, our first instinct is to try to be closer to them somehow or to protect them. And then we rationalize all sorts of scenarios that will alow us to do so, all the while telling ourselves that it is a mutually beneficial situation.

Unfortunately, it is not. Whenever you ask questions about how to change the natural habits of a wild animal in order to domesticate it, your intention is to change that animal to make it more compatible with your own needs, rather than those of the animal.

If you truly love these birds, find a way to observe them in their natural environment. Please do not try to domesticate or keep a bald eagle in captivity; it would be absolutely cruel and you will find that, rather than "loving" you for giving them shelter and food, the animals that you love will come to hate you b/c you have chosen to selfishly confine them for your own pleasure. Moreover, I would leave the raising of bald eagles in captivity to people who are trained to do so.

If you so wish to pursue this, then I would pursue a career that will provide you with the proper knowledge, training and facilities to properly raise bald eagles in captivity.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,670,371 times
Gawd, I hate Crow Girl. Excuse me while I go have a temper tantrum. ()

Even as a kid (and believe me, Harry Potter wasn't even a sparkle in JK Rowling's eye back then) I've had this "thing" about owls. T. Mangelsen (THOMAS D. MANGELSEN'S | Images of Nature) has some simply fantastic prints of some. Sure, dreams are free - which is just as well, because his photos are not! We have plenty out here - rarely will I see them, but I hear them often.

OP - if your intentions are truly good, than can you please explain why you think that a wild animal who has no need and even less desire for human interference is somehow "better off" for living in close proximity to mankind?

While your intentions may be good, your seeming unwillingness to, at the very least, understand raptor's ranges, habitat, diet, and - rather importantly - ecological role in the wild.... well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM

5,393 posts, read 4,262,097 times
Harry, you CANNOT keep an eagle as a pet. They are protected by law and to actually keep one, you'd need to be running a rehab center, a zoo, or be a member of a federally recognized tribe of Native Americans.

Keeping the bird in an enclosure 50ft long by 30ft wide or whatever would be nothing- an eagle that isn't injured would still be cooped up. 5 acres of land... right, you're going to let the bird fly around outside? It would fly off.

Bald eagles just aren't going to be "domesticated", period. You cannot make them live in a space that small, you cannot make them eat anything other than meat, and you cannot legally keep them as a private citizen.

Quote:
Permits are required to keep Bald Eagles in captivity in the United States. Permits are primarily issued to public educational institutions, and the eagles which they show are permanently injured individuals which cannot be released to the wild. The facilities where eagles are kept must be equipped with adequate caging and facilities, as well as workers experienced in the handling and care of eagles. Bald Eagles cannot legally be kept for falconry in the United States. As a rule, the Bald Eagle is a poor choice for public shows, being timid, prone to becoming highly stressed, and unpredictable in nature. Native American Tribes can obtain a "Native American Religious Use" permit to keep non-releasable eagles as well. They use their naturally molted feathers for religious and cultural ceremonies. The Bald Eagle can be long-lived in captivity if well cared for, but does not breed well even under the best conditions.[41] In Canada, a license is required to keep Bald Eagles for falconry
No matter how well-intentioned you are, it isn't in your future to keep a bald eagle as a pet. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 AM

16,139 posts, read 29,204,015 times
I'm no longer sure about the OP's intentions, this much of an emotional response elicited makes him seem kinda trollish. Thread closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds