Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,660,197 times

Advertisements

I've seen so many games at Legion Field, I just don't want to see it go. I know Graymont is scary for most people, but it is the only 50K+ venue we have and we do host a largish bowl game. Something like #10 on attendance list. They just need to get a big time sponsor (dare I say bigger then Papa Johns or Compass) to slap their name on it and do some renovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I've seen so many games at Legion Field, I just don't want to see it go. I know Graymont is scary for most people, but it is the only 50K+ venue we have and we do host a largish bowl game. Something like #10 on attendance list. They just need to get a big time sponsor (dare I say bigger then Papa Johns or Compass) to slap their name on it and do some renovations.
I am not a scary person. I don't give a darn about that. I just hate to herd out of towners into such an ugly, treeless part of town to see an old rusty stadium, already one third torn down. I mean no matter where else they go that is the image that gets seared into their minds eye.

If people here ever have enough pride to realize a city this size need a sports stadium with or without pro or college sports. There are a lot of things one can do with a stadium.

I hope your toes don't hurt from me stomping on them. I was just worried with my wording that you would think I meant tear down Regions Field. That is a beauty, and a great source of civic pride.

Maybe we should get that guy at Festival to build us a new stadium.

Dream bigger or you may have nightmares in the end,

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 07-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: correctiong stupid Punjabi spelling

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Oh heavens no - I know you know that Regions Field is a beauty and something for Birmingham to hang its collective hat on and the anchor for midtown development. I'm looking forward each day to new announcements about who and what is coming to Parkside. It is just only a matter of time.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,976,196 times
I say spend the money on a new 65,000+ domed stadium/multi-use facility. It isn't all about football. It's about hosting any number of big-money events in our city, not to mention concerts. Put a county-wide lodging tax on the thing. It would pay for itself.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I say spend the money on a new 65,000+ domed stadium/multi-use facility. It isn't all about football. It's about hosting any number of big-money events in our city, not to mention concerts. Put a county-wide lodging tax on the thing. It would pay for itself.

Good for you and yes , why can't people see what an economic engine all the buildings in the BJCC have been to this city. It is about a diverse synergy of facilities that are only limited by imagination . I've been watching a nearby city which has just finished a major facility and have lost count of all the private investment pouring in. But they believe in themselves. (what happened here, wait don't tell me)

The city's lodging tax that is dedicated to the BJCC expansion has already collected half the cost of the facility; however it has been spent piecemeal on many things it was not earmarked for such as the Crossplex. I have nothing against that facility except that its funding source was agreed to only for the BJCC expansion. It makes it even worse that we can actually afford to go forward if we follow a plan as put forth and yet here we are still doing nothing. I hope the board knows something they have not shared with me.

Anyway, I really have undying faith that I will see great progress by the day I die.

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 07-22-2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,579,812 times
Quote:
Y
I think Bluebeard mentioned a desire for more authentic Asian food. I'm down with that too as I eat Chinese two two four times a week. But beyond Pf changs, the super happy family mega buffets and the sketchy looking spots in the back corner of every strip mall - we really don't have anything. Oh yeah and tin drum, which I did like need to go back.
Those places barely resemble authentic Chinese food. Its almost ironic, that because Chinese people have been in the US so long, Chinese food in the US is so horrible. As I mentioned about Chinese and Mexican food, China is such a culinarily (is that a word?) diverse place that its hard to say what's "authentic" Chinese foo (many Chinese people think's their hometown food is the true and truly superior Chinese food). Most of the Chinese people here don't realize that there actually is a demand for decent Chinese food and try to hard to appeal to low-end American pallets (yes, my snobbery is on display).

Anyway, the best and most authentic places we have are the Red Pearl/Super Oriental on Valley. That place is going downhill for now, but sometimes these things wax and wane as chefs and clientele change. I also think their clientele is very price sensitive, so they're cutting corners rather than raise prices. but they have me as a captive. The only other reasonable place was Mr. Chen's in Hoover. Once they got super-popular and decided to move the chef to Jackson, MS to open a new restaurant, they fell down as well.

It seems to be a problem here that a decent ethnic restaurant opens up, gets a decent following for opening restaurant that actually has decent ethnic food, then "sell out" by lowering quality and perhaps raising prices. I thought Silver Coin was also pretty good when it opened. Then the prices raised and the quality went to crap. I guess its good there's obligation for me to travel to Hoover for any decent food anymore, but I'd rather have more restaurants in Hoover than none at all.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Shifting gears just a bit I was thinking more about the motorcycle dealer building scross from Barbers, the draw of the track itself with Indy and the growing popularity of sports car racing with Grand Am that perhaps a high end sports car dealer could work there too. The best place would probably be out in Irondale with the Williams dealers but with my knowledge and experience with Sonic I doubt they would be interested.

I don't think Birmingham is ready for a full blown Ferrari or lambo dealer but these places can start out small and build up. Remember BMW when it was just a tiny spot on Lorna road? F1 on 280? With better planning and a high profile venue with a lot of visibility but without the crazy rent of a 280 location someone could perhaps pull it off. Used cars first and then maybe slide into a Bentley or Ferrari franchise later. Heck, most Ferrari dealers make their money selling merchandise like key chains, t shirts and jackets anyway. Being near that track and that museum and other attractions will mean lots of motor heads coming through and insures the sales of trinkets like that to offset the costs of a high floorplan and low new car sales.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM

522 posts, read 840,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Those places barely resemble authentic Chinese food. Its almost ironic, that because Chinese people have been in the US so long, Chinese food in the US is so horrible. As I mentioned about Chinese and Mexican food, China is such a culinarily (is that a word?) diverse place that its hard to say what's "authentic" Chinese foo (many Chinese people think's their hometown food is the true and truly superior Chinese food). Most of the Chinese people here don't realize that there actually is a demand for decent Chinese food and try to hard to appeal to low-end American pallets (yes, my snobbery is on display).

Anyway, the best and most authentic places we have are the Red Pearl/Super Oriental on Valley. That place is going downhill for now, but sometimes these things wax and wane as chefs and clientele change. I also think their clientele is very price sensitive, so they're cutting corners rather than raise prices. but they have me as a captive. The only other reasonable place was Mr. Chen's in Hoover. Once they got super-popular and decided to move the chef to Jackson, MS to open a new restaurant, they fell down as well.

It seems to be a problem here that a decent ethnic restaurant opens up, gets a decent following for opening restaurant that actually has decent ethnic food, then "sell out" by lowering quality and perhaps raising prices. I thought Silver Coin was also pretty good when it opened. Then the prices raised and the quality went to crap. I guess its good there's obligation for me to travel to Hoover for any decent food anymore, but I'd rather have more restaurants in Hoover than none at all.
Andrew Zimmern:Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel Birmingham will be on tomorrow night at 7 or 8. I thinks you should check it out...he will be at Red Pearl as one of the places on the episode.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Shifting gears just a bit I was thinking more about the motorcycle dealer building scross from Barbers, the draw of the track itself with Indy and the growing popularity of sports car racing with Grand Am that perhaps a high end sports car dealer could work there too. The best place would probably be out in Irondale with the Williams dealers but with my knowledge and experience with Sonic I doubt they would be interested.

I don't think Birmingham is ready for a full blown Ferrari or lambo dealer but these places can start out small and build up. Remember BMW when it was just a tiny spot on Lorna road? F1 on 280? With better planning and a high profile venue with a lot of visibility but without the crazy rent of a 280 location someone could perhaps pull it off. Used cars first and then maybe slide into a Bentley or Ferrari franchise later. Heck, most Ferrari dealers make their money selling merchandise like key chains, t shirts and jackets anyway. Being near that track and that museum and other attractions will mean lots of motor heads coming through and insures the sales of trinkets like that to offset the costs of a high floorplan and low new car sales.
I agree with you. I have seen several Lotus', Maserati's, and Bentley's around town. I think a full line Lotus dealer would work here, with a few Maserati's, Bentley's, and Aston Martin's thrown in. I have also seen a few Tesla's around, but I think that there a more regional brand.

If you like exotic cars, you all should check out Chasingexotics.com. Huntsville is well represented (mostly from the same exotic cars pictures retaken in another location), but Birmingham is very under represented.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM

The Summit is at it again! Four new stores are opening their new to Alabama locations.

-Madewell
-Kate Spade-I guess they think Alabama deserves a 2nd chance(tried in Huntsville). I think they would be successful here, because there are a lot of fashion conscious people here who are willing to spend money on designer clothing, and the fashion conscious people from elsewhere frequent The Summit when having a shopping day.
-West Elm-Previously posted.
-Allen Edmonds-Already opened next to Lucky Brand Jeans.

Four new clothing shops heading to The Summit in Birmingham | al.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area