Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times

Advertisements

^ I see. 59 and 20 corridors will continue to heat up as St. Clair County booms.^

Nordstrom Rack is nice...but what about the real deal? Their response is a bit more measured and cooler then IKEA's I think.

Birmingham's five most-wanted retailers: A full-line Nordstrom for the Magic City? - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
"At this time, we don't have plans to locate in Birmingham," said Salimah Karmali, a spokesperson for the Seattle-based company.

Karmali said Birmingham is not out of the realm of possibility.
"We are always looking for great locations, so it is not out of the question," Karmali said.
I'm hoping the response will warm up as we get further down this list. Just once, I'd like for one of these quoted reps to say something like, "YES! YES, OH MY GOSH YES! WE'RE COMING...hang on you guys!" But they'll have already bought land and the news leaked by someone else before that ever happens.

Last edited by Tourian; 10-28-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
^ I see. 59 and 20 corridors will continue to heat up as St. Clair County booms.^

Nordstrom Rack is nice...but what about the real deal? Their response is a bit more measured and cooler then IKEA's I think.

Birmingham's five most-wanted retailers: A full-line Nordstrom for the Magic City? - Birmingham Business Journal

I'm hoping the response will warm up as we get further down this list. Just once, I'd like for one of these quoted reps to say something like, "YES! YES, OH MY GOSH YES! WE'RE COMING...hang one you guys!" But they'll have already bought land and the news leaked by someone else before that ever happens.

This is just their MO. Why?, who knows. Three weeks before TJ's was announced 'they' said we were not on their radar. ha.

When they say, "they have no plans", they mean, "the architectural plans are not complete yet".
When they say, "it is possible', they mean, "we better soften up for tomorrows announcement". lol

I remember the same stuff going on forever with Saks Fifth Avenue.

At this stage of my life, I figure if they want my money they are going to have to come and get it.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,765,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
At this stage of my life, I figure if they want my money they are going to have to come and get it.
Amen to that. I will not drive out of town to buy cheap furniture or department store goods that are no better then the other department store goods we already have. This city has nothing to be ashamed of as far as the current level of shopping. I would like to see it get bigger and better over time as we grow, so articles like these are just an amusement. The only name on that list that intrigues me a little is Crate & Barrel, so I look forward to reading their noncommittal and nebulous non-answer tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Amen to that. I will not drive out of town to buy cheap furniture or department store goods that are no better then the other department store goods we already have. This city has nothing to be ashamed of as far as the shopping we already have. I would like to see it get bigger and better over time as we grow, so articles like these are just an amusement. The only name on that list that intrigues me a little is Crate & Barrel, so I look forward to reading their noncommittal and nebulous non-answer tomorrow.
I'm 52 and my last child flies the coop to college in 2.5 years. After that, we're doing some major downsizing. So I'm all about getting rid of stuff, not acquiring more.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Quote:
Here is the article, Tourian.

About two hundred thousand sq. feet of retail and multi-family as now planned. This is important in that it is the first commercial development beyond Trussville in the I-59 corridor. Perhaps it will ease some of the congestion along US 11. NAH.

Harbert Realty, Four Star Holdings to build massive Odenville development - Birmingham Business Journal
I too read this. This area is kinda far out, and it is hard to think of what kind of retailers this would bring. I don't see anything major, unless it is some sort of destination center. Now, something at Deerfoot Pkwy would be more impressive and make a lot of sense. Gadsden has been getting some new shopping as of late, so I can't see them driving to Odenville to do some shopping.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Amen to that. I will not drive out of town to buy cheap furniture or department store goods that are no better then the other department store goods we already have. This city has nothing to be ashamed of as far as the current level of shopping. I would like to see it get bigger and better over time as we grow, so articles like these are just an amusement. The only name on that list that intrigues me a little is Crate & Barrel, so I look forward to reading their noncommittal and nebulous non-answer tomorrow.
Crate & Barrel would be my pick of the top 5 as well. I like the thought of Brookwood doing away with Belk and putting in Nordstrom, Dillard's opening in the 280/119 development and a center in Trussville, and the far-fetched IKEA opening at I-22/65 interchange. Our market is still underserved in some parts, so I know that there are opportunities for these places to open in the future.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Any updates/inside info on Shops of Grand River and area?

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,636 times
Quote:
I meant to add, in my last message that Cullman and Talladega are already counted. I would be leery to add Anniston too, but if they get lassoed in to the CSA then they'd help make Birmingham's case for a store make more sense. They currently are not in Atlanta's CSA so I doubt IKEA used them as the deciding factor of building a store in Atlanta. It isn't like Anniston was the deciding factor that if not for them, Atlanta wouldn't have gotten their IKEA.

It is little ole Anniston after all. They'd help us far more then they could hurt Atlanta's store's retail numbers.
I can tell you from personal experience, Anniston is more economically tied to Birmingham than Atlanta by a long shot. Anniston/Oxford is considered a part of the Birmingham retail market area.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I can tell you from personal experience, Anniston is more economically tied to Birmingham than Atlanta by a long shot. Anniston/Oxford is considered a part of the Birmingham retail market area.
What is most significant is that it is part of the Birmingham TV market. Advertising influences the destination of dollars quite a bit.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,636 times
Quote:
What is most significant is that it is part of the Birmingham TV market. Advertising influences the destination of dollars quite a bit.
Anniston has been considered apart of the Birmingham DMA since 1996 courtesy of ABC 33/40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area