Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Yeah. We're not getting an IKEA. I can't imagine us ever getting an IKEA when ATL's IKEA is two hours away.

I also don't understand why we don't have a Trader Joe's. Heck, Santa Fe has a Trader Joe's, with a population of 68K. Baton Rouge is getting one, so maybe the Deep South is on the rise at last with the Trader Joe's brass. (The Baton Rouge store will be the first store in AR, LA, MS or AL).

Let's hope they have started doing it alphabetically. lol

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
All things come in their time. I'm sure Trader Joe's will be here soon. Their parent company is putting alot of Aldis here. The ones I have been to are in fringe areas of retail. When I think of the places that fit that image there are no spaces available. Besides when a company is that big they have to do these thing like a tight social calendar.

On Ikea, we fit well into their pop range. We are just under two million in a sixty mile radius. I don't think we are a customer base for them though. I know I am not interested. I think that they do well in cities with much larger under thirty age group that has not started buying real furniture yet. I think this is true of H&M too, their merchandise is just so disposable. I do however believe they are taking the space at the Galleria near Macy's where Brooks Brothers was. GGP has done this with a coulple of its other retail centers.

raj
IDK about IKEA, with the Atlanta location 2 hrs away. I don't think Birmingham is high on their priority list.

Trader Joe's will eventually get here.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
What is so great about Trader joes that isn't already covered by what we have now?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
I'm trying to figure out how Birmingham doesn't have a IKEA or a Nordstrom?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Because neither of those companies have built a store here. Next tro...question.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'm trying to figure out how Birmingham doesn't have a IKEA or a Nordstrom?
Because Birmingham isnt a big enough market population wise for an IKEA (2 million people within a 60 mile radius).

Nordstrom was planning to open a store at Riverchase Galleria, this is before the economic downturn, and those plans were shelved at that point.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
What is so great about Trader joes that isn't already covered by what we have now?
Ive heard alot of good things about their stores, but to be honest ive never been to one. I guess it a case of if the Jones next door has one, then we gonna get one.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM

522 posts, read 846,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
All things come in their time. I'm sure Trader Joe's will be here soon. Their parent company is putting alot of Aldis here. The ones I have been to are in fringe areas of retail. When I think of the places that fit that image there are no spaces available. Besides when a company is that big they have to do these thing like a tight social calendar.

On Ikea, we fit well into their pop range. We are just under two million in a sixty mile radius. I don't think we are a customer base for them though. I know I am not interested. I think that they do well in cities with much larger under thirty age group that has not started buying real furniture yet. I think this is true of H&M too, their merchandise is just so disposable. I do however believe they are taking the space at the Galleria near Macy's where Brooks Brothers was. GGP has done this with a coulple of its other retail centers.

raj
Do you really think that an H&M would fit in the old Brooks Brothers? I would hope Birmingham's 1st H&M store would be at Brookwood Village Mall in the old Gus Mayer location...that would definitely bring more traffic to the mall, and it would do well (IMO) because of it's proximity to trendy Southside and Homewood.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:15 PM

522 posts, read 846,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Because Birmingham isnt a big enough market population wise for an IKEA (2 million people within a 60 mile radius).

Nordstrom was planning to open a store at Riverchase Galleria, this is before the economic downturn, and those plans were shelved at that point.
I wish our full-line Nordstrom would've opened, but it is exciting to get more variety out of the deal...Von Maur and Nordstrom(Rack)!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 PM

The summit is reaching critical mass now. It is a dice game trying to get in there on a Sunday after noon. I'm lookin foward to something else coming online to take some of the pressure off. But there looks to be no stopping that juggernaut.

I'm still wishing for Dave and Busters. Uptown needs to get rolling.

I would think IKEA would see that Birmingham has enough hipsters, college kids and minimalist urban types to want to be part of the rebirth of a downtown district. Maybe they'll come up with a smaller market concept store. 1.2 million is close enough.

Last edited by Tourian; 05-17-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area