Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 02:34 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times

Advertisements

280 traffic is really only stifling during rush hour, IMO. Since the Summit isn't open during morning rush and people are going to work - it doesn't affect it. During evening rush, the types who can shop during the week have already done their shopping and moved on to their spas, country clubs and whatever - so it doesn't really matter then either. The rest of the day and night it is just constantly full, but not overly congested.

The only real X-factor now is the hospital, and if you are to believe what they are saying, they are going to schedule their shifts around morning and evening rush. Will it work? I don't know, but it sounds reasonable to me. When I lived that way I knew what times I could do whatever and what times would be challenging so I figure its possible they can too.

I don't see it getting considerably worse to stop people from going there who really want to go in the forseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:24 PM

522 posts, read 846,500 times
Nine Alabama Walmart stores to close amid major cutbacks - Birmingham Business Journal

With the Wal Mart Suoercenter closing in Fairfield, I wonder if the owners of Western Hills Mall, will purchase the building for an extension of the mall, or if they will try to develop it into am outdoor shopping area. I believe that it would be in Fairfield's best interest, to make the master plan for the area, a reality.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:14 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Nine Alabama Walmart stores to close amid major cutbacks - Birmingham Business Journal

With the Wal Mart Suoercenter closing in Fairfield, I wonder if the owners of Western Hills Mall, will purchase the building for an extension of the mall, or if they will try to develop it into am outdoor shopping area. I believe that it would be in Fairfield's best interest, to make the master plan for the area, a reality.

This is a terrible time for Fairfield, economically, to do much of anything. If Walmart failed in Fairfield, Dollar General SuperStore is about all they can hope for. Obviously there is just not enough expendable income to even support such a market segment as the discounters.

Perhaps, Ole Time Pottery?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:58 AM

150 posts, read 97,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post

I think the Walmart closing is just a result of the economy not recovering despite what the Government want you to believe. Also, online shopping is cutting into the retail side and Walmart is exploiting that new revenue stream. Perhaps in the long run this is a good thing for local business's going forward. The fewer big box stores that are within driving distance the more opportunities for local business to return and that is much better for the local economy than a Walmart or chain store IMHO.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM

It is almost a bad joke to suggest that even a Wal Mart can not survive in Fairfield at Western Hills Mall. The workers at Fairfield Works must've represented a huge chunk of patronage.

my guess is they will hit up Midfield or Birmingham for tax incentives and free land to build a new one within 1-3 miles of that same location.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:07 AM

Taco Mama will be opening soon at The Summit. Also, Soft Surroundings and LUSH Cosmetics (for those who have been dying for this store).

Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 PM

Some other new stores for the Summit. Four of them and all of them new to Alabama.

Lush, Bevello, American Threads and Soft Surroundings.

Lush, Bevello among new retailers coming to the Summit | AL.com

Old 03-10-2016, 02:17 PM

I had lunch with my wife at Hickory Tavern at Brookwood yesterday and was reminded of just how much I like that shopping center. Looks like they are wanting to get in on the headlines that the Summit and Galleria have been making and are about to announce some new tennants here pretty soon.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I had lunch with my wife at Hickory Tavern at Brookwood yesterday and was reminded of just how much I like that shopping center. Looks like they are wanting to get in on the headlines that the Summit and Galleria have been making and are about to announce some new tennants here pretty soon.

Yes, it is exciting to see the three big ones all going at it at the same time. They all come up on big anniversaries soon.

Brookwood 40 years

Galleria 30 years

The Summit 20 years

It has been customary in the retail business to do varying levels of redo/expansion at the decade mark.
As I wrote earlier this week, I am reading that The Summit is most likely going to be a real eye opener considering it has not had the faltering growth of places like Bridgestreet which promised so much but didn't bring it on. The Summit has been a blistering success all across the country, not just here.

Brookwood is my closest and I think of it as part of my neighborhood; great Macy's location and Brios. And Gille29 seems to be getting better. (I talked with a guy in Tampa at their offices when it opened and he said they were having to notch it up to compete with the big five along US280)

Old 03-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I had lunch with my wife at Hickory Tavern at Brookwood yesterday and was reminds me how much I like that shopping center. Looks like they are wanting to get in on the headlines that the Summit and Galleria have been making and are about to announce some new tennants here pretty soon.
Yeah, apparently subscribers of the Birmingham Business Journal, may have more information on up 12 new tenants (big names) in the coming months! With the location of the mall, if done right it could be a viable competitor to The Summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area