U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 PM

452 posts, read 582,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Your concerns are almost without exception without connection to the Galleria. Most of the stores you mentioned were shrinking their coverage as is the case with almost all retail in America now. (NO one has said any Macy's in Birmingham is closing, btw.

The Coach left the Summit long before leaving Galleria. It opened a larger store at Grand River which it always intended to do. The limited has and does have a huge footprint and has remodeled. There are three major commercial Jewelry stores. (I believe Helzberg is affiliate with Zales, and kay remodeled. Birmingham has strong local Jewelry stores and that is where the serious acquisition occurs.
Some of the businesses you mention were awful. We should not support businesses that are poorly run. I have no doubt that the strength of the Galleria has grown in the past five years along with the incredible redo.
That does not make it perfect. Unfortunately, major mainstream malls in America are catering to a group that does not have good public conduct, and yes, this will drive away some other types of customers. How this is going to work is yet to be seen.

It is up to mall management to enforce the posted rules and regulations or the mall will die out in the high end first and then overall. All of the foot stores are aimed at people wearing out those same shoes just killing time at the mall. It is a generational change as well. The Galleria is pretty much what it should be at this point; if none of what it brings in new is higher end then yes that will spell trouble. Most of their stores have been an upgrade in their replacements.

BTW; CPK can be replaced by many better restaurants or other businesses. Let's wait and see.

I am puzzled at your comment referring to Hoover. The demographics at the next exit after the Galleria is very high, much of it on par with Greystone, so I am not sure why you would think the support is not there. In fact the support that is there is so upscale that it may be going to the Summit by choice.

Did you ever go into that Earthfare and try to find a specific item. The worst grocery I have ever been in. Stopped in the first six months, obviously with a lot of other shoppers.
There wasn't any doubt of Hoover being able to afford higher end places, but the desire to, and that is the reason I question it. Maybe another high end center maybe better off in Liberty Park vs Hoover...this is all just speculation. Helzberg is still a seperate jewelry company. Many of the stores that left the Galleria, are still located in similar malls around the country, and that is the reason I questioned the entire thing. I'm sorry that you are/were puzzled, but I hope that I cleared it up for ya. I shop at the Galleria frequently and was just noticing these things. I seldomly shopped at Earthfare, so i can't answer that...just noticed that other cities still had one. I would love for a new destination restaurant to open in the former CPK location! I am not sure what, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM

951 posts, read 794,665 times
I suspect that SHULA'S and REDLANDS-JALEXANDERS are the best restaurants we are going to see at the Galleria. They are both wonderful, so that is good enough. I did however contact them a few years ago when first announcing this remake and asked them to consider Maggiano's instead of renewing Olive Garden. But, alas OG is packed all the time so it really is all about the money not the perception of how upscale. Look at the changes at Phipps Plaza in recent years. It is on the same level or less than Lenox is.

Retail in America is fluctuating wildly. We are pretty lucky here in town. I was furniture shopping at Macy's - Brookwood this afternoon around two and the store was quite busy. I think that many people don't realize that this particular store is mostly shopped in the daytime due to the immediate demographics. I feel we are really safe with these two stores.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:50 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,635,810 times
Dont forget Firebirds. Although technically not at the Galleria, I consider PC to be an extension of it and they have to have a symbiotic relationship to survive.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:15 AM

You are correct Firebirds does amazing business all these years and it is not the first thing people would see if from out of town. It looks as though Patton Creek is fulfilling its roll fairly well. It has a number of good fast casual as well.

It is going to be interesting to see how it will be impacted by the hundreds of new homes they are about to build just west of it along the expressway. I think it is going to include a direct roadway to keep people off Hawkins Pkwy.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
I suspect that SHULA'S and REDLANDS-JALEXANDERS are the best restaurants we are going to see at the Galleria. They are both wonderful, so that is good enough. I did however contact them a few years ago when first announcing this remake and asked them to consider Maggiano's instead of renewing Olive Garden. But, alas OG is packed all the time so it really is all about the money not the perception of how upscale. Look at the changes at Phipps Plaza in recent years. It is on the same level or less than Lenox is.

Retail in America is fluctuating wildly. We are pretty lucky here in town. I was furniture shopping at Macy's - Brookwood this afternoon around two and the store was quite busy. I think that many people don't realize that this particular store is mostly shopped in the daytime due to the immediate demographics. I feel we are really safe with these two stores.
Yeah, I don't see Olive Garden going anywhere. I do love the idea of Maggiano's though. Maybe the place Bayer is plannning across from The Summit will have one. Yeah, Lenox has certainly become more on the level of Phipps, with more offerings as well. I am glad to hear that Macy's at Brookwood is doing well. I really wish that they would get rid of Belk annd put in a big Dillards or Nordstrom.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM

I figured they'd quickly announce a second one opening in Hoover II...err Trussville, but Leeds is close enough.

H&M opening store in Leeds at Shops at Grand River | AL.com

Quote:
Global fashion retailer H&M is expanding in Alabama with a new store at Leeds' Outlet Shops at Grand River.
The new store will be about 21,000 square feet. It will be a regular H&M, not an outlet. It's scheduled to open in the Spring of 2017.

The Leeds location will be the retailer's second Birmingham-area store. In March, H&M announced plans for its first Birmingham store at the Riverchase Galleria mall in Hoover. An H&M spokeswoman said the Hoover store is tentatively planning an Oct. 13 opening, but that it could be pushed back.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:59 PM

Time to dust this thread back off...
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...up-at-the.html
Quote:
Warby Parker, a popular retailer of eyeglasses and sunglasses, will open its first Alabama retail location at The Pizitz.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Time to dust this thread back off...
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...up-at-the.html
Now, I didn't see this one coming at all. I tell ya, Bayer seems to know how to pull in high caliber retailers to their developments. This is fantastic. Warby Parker boutiques seem to be fairly selective with their locations. This bodes well for downtown retail!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
Now, I didn't see this one coming at all. I tell ya, Bayer seems to know how to pull in high caliber retailers to their developments. This is fantastic. Warby Parker boutiques seem to be fairly selective with their locations. This bodes well for downtown retail!
I didn't either. I've read so much about the Pizitz over the years and all my excitement has been with the Food Hall. I forgot there was some retail space, or maybe thought it was office space instead. I know the Sidewalk Film Festival is supposed to be moving in to the basement. I wonder if they have any other space for any other surprises.

As awesome as this development is, I'm ready for it to be done and launched so Bayer can move on to their next project. These guys have the hot hand around the city and I am looking forward to what they will do with the AT&T property across from the Summit. That whole intersection has gotten hot with lots of investors buying up existing property and two new hotels coming and ALDOT recombobulating the interchange.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:57 PM

The signage on the Pizitz is really classy as well. The three corners of the first floor are going to be full service restaurants; the one at the main corner where the Christmas windows once thrilled will create a very visual enticement.

Tonight I took in the incredible courtyard on the west entrance to the Hall. It should be seen at night. What a large and gorgeous outdoor space. This is so first class. Checkout the sculptural white enamel fence at the Courtyard.

Thanks Tourian, for reminding me of a great word of old. I shall put it to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area