Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM

11 posts, read 34,922 times

Advertisements

We moved away from "over the mountain" a few years back and recently returned.

Trying to decide between Trussville and Vestavia areas. Wife and I are both in healthcare and will be working in the Trussville area. Have read where HT high school is good and rated well, and the new facility looks great . . . but would like to hear/learn more about it.

What do you know about Hewitt-Trussville high school and how it would compare to Vestavia . . .regarding education/athletics/size/safety/etc.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:51 AM

897 posts, read 2,447,576 times
I would think HT is a good system but Vestavia is definitely MUCH better....

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

23 posts, read 78,249 times
Here are a few good web-sites...
www.schoolmatters.com
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
www.greatschools.org/alabama/
American FactFinder

Good Luck!

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,329,208 times
I don't mean this in a bad way, but unless your kid is a moron, it's not really going to matter much. Personally, I'd pick Trussville over Vestavia, but I happen to like a little thing called diversity.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,301 times
Default Trussville vs. Vestavia

I live in Trussville and find that it is a very nice and safe place to live, but we looked at the big picture overall when we chose to move here last year.

Trussville High School is state-of-the-art and very well run by Suzanne Freeman, our new Superintendent. She gets paid very well to do just that.

Trussville has a very nice and professional team of police officers and fireman. They take there jobs seriously and treat citizens of the city with respect.

It is very low crime, a quiet place to live, and the people are extremely laid back and traffic flow is very tolerable.

Trussville also does NOT allow apartment complexes in their community so the school's systems and the city are geared towards being "like" Mountain Brook. That is the city in which Board officials model the decisions made within the city after.

Vestavia is by far a better "school system", but you will pay 3 times the property taxes in order to live there to attend the golden facility. The traffic is horrible, the people are very sophisticated, and your children will have alot to compete with.

My brother-in-law was raised there by his mother who is a millionaire and they are very nice and sweet people, educated and classy.

Finding a home would be like this.

Trussville you can find a newer large home of about 2500 square feet for around $280,000. Property taxes are about 8% of that.

Vestavia you will find fixer-upper homes about 25 years old for the same exact price, half falling apart. New homes would cost you at least $400,000. Property taxes are much much higher.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
HI guys,
I am new in this site and find the topic here very interesting,
Hope I can join in your discussions here,
Godspeed!how to deal with depression

Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM

153 posts, read 301,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrussMom View Post

Trussville you can find a newer large home of about 2500 square feet for around $280,000. Property taxes are about 8% of that.

Vestavia you will find fixer-upper homes about 25 years old for the same exact price, half falling apart. New homes would cost you at least $400,000. Property taxes are much much higher.
That 8% figure is off. Property taxes in T'ville on a 280K home will be in the $1200-$1600 range--depending on assessed value. (I used to live in T'ville.) Property taxes on a similarly priced house in Vestavia will be more in the $2600-2800 range. (Never lived there--just going by what I've seen on mls listings.) Most real estate websites publish the tax amounts on each listing, so you can do your own research on that.

"regarding education/athletics/size/safety/etc"-- I think both high schools compare pretty similarly in each of these categories.

I would not describe either Vestavia OR Trussville as being particularly diverse. I think both communities get a bad rap from time to time for different reasons. Vestavia for the snob/money factor, and Trussville for the "twang" factor. I truly think that it's just that--a bad rap--and very much an OVER generalization for both communities.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,621 times
I grew up in Vestavia and live in Trussville. I love both cities. Both cities have good leadership. Both are very safe. All in all, you get much more bang for the buck in Trussville.

Vestavia and Trussville schools are both among the best in the state. In standardized testing scores Vestavia is 2nd in the state and Trussville is 6th. Vestavia has had a city school system since the 70's while Trussville is in only their 5th year and have climbed steadily every year. I think they'll be neck and neck within a few years.

If you look at the household income listed on the site, you'll notice that both cities have about the same income. Note that the data is from 2007. The current info on Spurlin's Best Places shows that Trussville has edged ahead of Vestavia in household income. No doubt the schools and great home values have played a major part in that.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 14,978 times
I believe Vestavia is definitely the better place to live and go to school. You can't say the schools are equal; scores speak for themselves. Vestavia has a much better sports program as well. I also believe graduating from Vestavia is much for prestigious than Hewitt. Although, I do believe Mountain Brook is the best place to live overall. Much more classy, beautiful homes than both areas. No typical "cookie cutter, pre-build, or demo" houses without any character in Mountain Brook. You will find both of these in Vestavia and Hewitt, though. Although, Mountain Brook and Vestavia both get the reputation of being a little snobby. Overall the best school is Mountain Brook and then Vestavia. Definitely Move to Vestavia. (This is someone who has lived in Homewood and Mountain Brook)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area