Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 AM

42 posts, read 90,501 times

Advertisements

High all I was just curious about the Birmingham domed stadium project, whats the status of it. How will it affect Birmingham's future. Are you for or against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I'm actually for it, as long as it can serve multiple uses and is tied in with the convention biz. Birmingham's convention center is coming up on 40 years old now. That means it's getting long in the tooth and needs an upgrade badly.

Birmingham has actually shown an ability to attract quality athletic events, from the Davis Cup to World Cup qualifying rounds to NCAA basketball tournaments. However, for it to do even better, it needs to have a facility that's of quality, and Legion Field just isn't cutting it. The place is falling down.

Now, this is where you hear the usual, "It will cost too much" arguments. To me, it costs us far more by not building the facility in terms of lost revenue and lost business. If you build a $400 million dome, and amortize the cost over 30 years, you're looking at total expenditures of $24-$26 million annually. My guess is that our lodging taxes from additional events would more than cover that. Events such as:

Alabama high school football/basketball playoffs
UAB games
Exhibition Pro football/basketball games
Bowl games (Right now the Birmingham Bowl alone produces $10 million in economic impact)
Tournaments (SEC and NCAA basketball)
Bass Masters (Laugh all you want, but it's a huge pull)
Events
Conventions

And the list goes on and on. To me, it's simply a matter of investment.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
As a matter of fact, check out this new article in the BBJ. Birmingham is currently 84th among world wide venues. Why not invest to give us even more prominence?

BJCC ranks 84th among worldwide venues | Birmingham Business Journal

Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM

42 posts, read 90,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
As a matter of fact, check out this new article in the BBJ. Birmingham is currently 84th among world wide venues. Why not invest to give us even more prominence?

BJCC ranks 84th among worldwide venues | Birmingham Business Journal

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
I mainly hear a lot of negative thoughts about because people can only think about football, but what people don't realize is that so many other conventions and events can use the facilities like cpg has said. I had also heard that the BJCC lost a few big shows to other cities like a gun, boat or RV or outdoor show because the facilities just aren't up to snuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area