U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM

864 posts, read 328,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I have. Buford Highway pretty much is sprawl. It sucks to get around without a car in that place. MARTA does not go close to the places I go in that area. Maybe the buses go closer, I don't know.
The grocery stores and restaurants I like tend to be in that area. They are in fact, the only reason I'd even ever want to move there.
I have been to Atlanta multiple times very frequently and likely will go back soon for work.

I am sorry dude, but I am not sure how your opinion on Atlanta not being walkable at all is credible if the only place you want to go is Buford Highway and this is your only reference to the city and its walkability an density. I guess those people living in areas where it cost $5 minimum to park drive everywhere and don't walk to anyting.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,753,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL ... Birmingham is providing wifi to its housing projects, while Atlanta got rid of its housing projects. That, in a nutshell folks, is the big difference between these two cities. One can't see the forest for the trees and only ends up applying small fixes to big problems. The other reinvents the wheel and elements the problem. One refuses to change with the times, turns dogs and water hoses on little black children and 50 years later still wallows in economic dispair and a poor national image. The other embraces the civil rights movement of the 1960s (blacks, gays, hippies) with a "can do" atttitude, is chosen to host the 100th anniversary of the Modern Olympic Games and explodes into the world's Newest Great Global City.

Seems pretty simple to understand, doesn't it?

B-ham suffers from a poor national image because outsiders such as your self havn`t realized that those incidents happened over 50 years ago.

Why is it so hard for people to realize that those are past events.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 PM

1,205 posts, read 867,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
B-ham suffers from a poor national image because outsiders such as your self havn`t realized that those incidents happened over 50 years ago.

Why is it so hard for people to realize that those are past events.
Because it easier to believe a stereotype, rather than visit a place.

Then again it makes people feel better about where they live when they bash another place that seems inferior to them.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM

7,331 posts, read 5,195,115 times
Birmingham folks, I completely understand your frustration that the rest of the nation -- and the world -- still judges you by some ugly events in your past, but your insistence that it's "50 years ago" and "unfair stereotypes" does not make that go away. How do you change your past? By redefining your present and your future, by going above and beyond, by doing things so positive and revolutionary and "against the grain" that people eventually forgive and forget your past and move on. This is what so many other sulnbelt boom towns have done. So far, Birmingham has failed miserably at reinventing itself. Even though it is not the place it was 50 years ago, it's done a very poor job of becoming the place it could be. How it gets there, I have no idea. But it starts from within. Simply denying that you have an image problem and failing to address -- no matter how outdated or inaccurate that image might be -- will get you nowhere.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM

1,205 posts, read 867,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Birmingham folks, I completely understand your frustration that the rest of the nation -- and the world -- still judges you by some ugly events in your past, but your insistence that it's "50 years ago" and "unfair stereotypes" does not make that go away. How do you change your past? By redefining your present and your future, by going above and beyond, by doing things so positive and revolutionary and "against the grain" that people eventually forgive and forget your past and move on. This is what so many other sulnbelt boom towns have done. So far, Birmingham has failed miserably at reinventing itself. Even though it is not the place it was 50 years ago, it's done a very poor job of becoming the place it could be. How it gets there, I have no idea. But it starts from within. Simply denying that you have an image problem and failing to address -- no matter how outdated or inaccurate that image might be -- will get you nowhere.
I actually agree with you on this.

We often complain about others having a negative image of Birmingham, but what have we done to change this image?....nothing. People say it doesnt matter what "outsiders" think of our area, but it does. If we cant change the way others view are metro and state, then who is to blame when others shine a negative spotlight?.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,121,257 times
I have said a few pages back that I have spent a lot of time in B my mothers side is from Cullman. So, yes, I know Alabama very well/ I have to say I truly feel sorry for B because it did have so much potential, but I think it is way too late and will not change in our lifetime maybe in 50 years, but when you drive in from Atlanta and see 3 marginally tall buildings, is does look very sad and depressing. No vibrancy at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:56 PM

265 posts, read 87,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Birmingham 152 sq. miles
Montgomery 156 sq. miles

IF Bham can get it school issues turned around, create a more pro business atmosphere by getting rid of government red tape and the occupation tax, create better public/private partnerships, having a functioning mass transit system, and last but not least better, forward thinking leadership. If all these things can happen, that should stop the population bleeding, and gains could be made.

Montgomery is not a better city/metro in any way, but they are able to annex with very little to no opposition.
Probably because residents who were just outside the city didn't see the city as corrupt, wasteful, ineffective, etc. and so didn't really have reasons to put up a fuss.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM

4,422 posts, read 3,042,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
...but when you drive in from Atlanta and see 3 marginally tall buildings, is does look very sad and depressing. No vibrancy at all.
There are four. And those buildings are height restricted because of the airport. But please, don't let facts get in the way of any of your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
There is an article in the Birmingham News a couple of days ago talking about how the city is going to provide wi-fi services for the housing projects in the city. That in my opinion is a major waste of taxpayer dollars that could be going to a more pressing issues, like mass transit. Providing wi-fi in the housing projects doesnt help people living there better their economic condition.
I'm not sure where I stand on the idea of free wi-fi in the projects, but I don't see how throwing something like a $25 per month DSL connection and a $100 wi-fi router from Best Buy is going to put a crimp on building a solution to 280s issues. They have free Wi-Fi at Starbucks, Krystal's, etc- having it where the kids that live in the projects might be able to use it to help with their studies isn't going to break the budget. Now, do we hand out free laptops/desktops too? Where does it end, I don't know - but this is not a cause and effect for their not being better mass transit in the city.

Last edited by Tourian; 03-16-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,753,447 times
If you compare B-ham`s skyline to metros that are similar in size there isn`t really no lack of to me.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,121,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
If you compare B-ham`s skyline to metros that are similar in size there isn`t really no lack of to me.

Are you kidding, and I had to figure out what you said? I know about the height restriction, but the skyline of B is pitiful and depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area