U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:16 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,471,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
AND SORRY BUT NO ... Bham's skyline does NOT compare to those in Jacksonville, Memphis, Nashville, Lousiville, etc. It actually reminds me a LOT of the Macon skyline.
Macon

Birmingham

Macon looks more like Tuscaloosa to me.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,007,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Birmingham has height restrictions?! Are y'all serious or is that just an excuse? I've never heard that before and to be completely honest, it sounds like sime excuse to explain the city's shortcomings. You've got a low mountain ridge just south (and east) of your downtown, but last time I was there your airport wasn't smack downtown. The only other major U.S. cities I know of that have downtown airports that limit building heights are Las Vegas and San Diego, and t hey both have FAR FAR more impressive skylines than Bham.

AND SORRY BUT NO ... Bham's skyline does NOT compare to those in Jacksonville, Memphis, Nashville, Lousiville, etc. It actually reminds me a LOT of the Macon skyline.
Actually Charlotte has height restrictions. No skyscraper can be built outside of
uptown and the airport is 5 miles away...... It is always best to do your research before commenting on a city you don't live in.......

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM

2,302 posts, read 3,027,598 times
I agree ^^^.Jacksonville is a nice city but I think Jack`s skyline could be smaller than Mobile`s if not the same size maybe (shrugging shoulders)...

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM

334 posts, read 365,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy

The only skyline B-Ham may not compare to is Louisville. All the others, B-ham is either better or level with.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 AM

640 posts, read 678,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
The flagship university in most states attracts people from over 100 countries. This is not exclusive to the University of TN.
Does Birmingham have a flagship university?
UT is one of the flagship universities of the south-east.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,024,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Does Birmingham have a flagship university?
UT is one of the flagship universities of the south-east.
Ummm every state has a flagship university.

No Birmingham does not have a flagship university, nor does Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Memphis, Louisville, nor OKC, so what is your point?. It doesnt make Knoxville anywhere near the level of these cities.

Actually Birmingham does have one of the top medical research universities in the nation, UAB.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,323,426 times
Are you nuts, try Georgia Tech, Emory, Georgia State, plus the largest concentration of black schools in America.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM

4,496 posts, read 4,381,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Are you nuts, try Georgia Tech, Emory, Georgia State, plus the largest concentration of black schools in America.
I think the poster is taking about the flagship university of a state university system. In that respect, UGA is the flagship public university of the state because it receives the most funding.

As far as diversity is concerned, Emory and Georgia Tech by far hold the title in Georgia.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM

5,583 posts, read 3,945,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Lol, ppl rebuttled me with pictures of skylines to prove there own ignorance.

Bham residents theories about skylines being proof as to what cities are on what level must also prove that Detroit is superior to San Jose.
Umm, what? So that's your big comeback? How does that change what we are saying? You have one troll in this thread who picks very small cities that don't even compare at all to Birmingham and then claims he is joking and you are defending his point? There is a lot bigger difference between Birmingham and Macon then there is Detroit and San Jose. I suppose the recent decline of the auto industry has NOTHING to do with your contrived comparison, does it? Don't be so obvious that's a dumb comparison.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM

2,337 posts, read 3,072,652 times
I'm not sure I'd ever heard of Knoxville until I came to the eastern part of the US. I'd definitely heard of Birmingham in Alabama. But that says nothing about the quality of life living at either place, so is quite irrelevant. I've heard of Siberia, too, doesn't mean its an awesome place to live.

But to the point, I still think skylines are a pretty arbitrary measure of a city. I'd never realized people used that as any sort of competition since the 1920's until I came to this board. By that measure, the UAE, Russia, Malaysia, and China should all be models for Birmingham. Lets all run to follow every little thing that they're doing now!

Every city/place has its own path. These irrelevant comparisons have gotten quite ridiculous. Seriously, WHAT IS THE POINT?

Atlanta, and any other cities, were only mentioned to determine if they have models or factors that we should consider. To say one's better than the other is pointless, and ultimately an opinion based on your individual viewpoint.

Can everyone stopped pissing on each other now? How did this turn into people even arguing about Macon vs Knoxville?

Last edited by bluebeard; 03-18-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area