Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 PM

80 posts, read 277,575 times

Advertisements

What is the current unemployment rate? What is your overall assessment of the situation? Any and all comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Default hey....

86 people looked at my thread and no one answered....hey!!! what's going on down there....(!)

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
I think you need more specific questions. Are you looking in a certain industry or location?
My overall long-term assessment is that its improving, but very slowly (as things tend to do here). This can be good and bad (less boom and bust). The metro unemployment rate is around 9%
Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
When things are good in Birmingham over the past 30 years, they tend to be very good. In 08, Birmingham had the country's second lowest unemployment rate, .1% higher than Orlando's. There are has also been, over the past 25 years, a huge increase in household income. That's the result of a city working hard to diversify its economic base away from heavy manufacturing.

The bad is that unemployment right now sits at roughly 9%. This is pretty much due to several factors, including the consolidation and acquisition of two superregional banks in the area. Before 2005, Birmingham was the country's third-largest banking center with four superregionals. Now that number is down to two. Add the ravages in the construction and publishing industry, and Birmingham was hit pretty hard. Lots of bankers, contractors, and graphic designers sitting around on their hands right now.

That being said, I think there are some positives. The city's various economic development authorities have united and seem to be doing some effective things. The automotive industry, non-existent 15 years ago, seems to be expanding despite economic headwinds. The intermodal rail transfer facility and the imminent completion of I-22 mean Birmingham is becoming a more attractive distribution point. And while two large banks evaporated into thin air, there are some smaller ones that are beginning to expand.

Overall, a good long-term outlook for stable and diversified growth. We're not Dallas or Raleigh or Austin by any stretch of the imagination but, then again, we're not Detroit or Youngstown, Ohio, either.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
When things are good in Birmingham over the past 30 years, they tend to be very good. In 08, Birmingham had the country's second lowest unemployment rate, .1% higher than Orlando's. There are has also been, over the past 25 years, a huge increase in household income. That's the result of a city working hard to diversify its economic base away from heavy manufacturing.

The bad is that unemployment right now sits at roughly 9%. This is pretty much due to several factors, including the consolidation and acquisition of two superregional banks in the area. Before 2005, Birmingham was the country's third-largest banking center with four superregionals. Now that number is down to two. Add the ravages in the construction and publishing industry, and Birmingham was hit pretty hard. Lots of bankers, contractors, and graphic designers sitting around on their hands right now.

That being said, I think there are some positives. The city's various economic development authorities have united and seem to be doing some effective things. The automotive industry, non-existent 15 years ago, seems to be expanding despite economic headwinds. The intermodal rail transfer facility and the imminent completion of I-22 mean Birmingham is becoming a more attractive distribution point. And while two large banks evaporated into thin air, there are some smaller ones that are beginning to expand.

Overall, a good long-term outlook for stable and diversified growth. We're not Dallas or Raleigh or Austin by any stretch of the imagination but, then again, we're not Detroit or Youngstown, Ohio, either.
Thanks you very much...great post..
[url]http://www.y3cool.com[/url]

Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Thanks you very much...great post..

[url=http://www.y3cool.com/]y3[/url]-[url=http://www.disneygames.me/]disney channel games[/url]

Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Default thanks

thank you for the info and taking the time to answer....what one also has to keep in mind is the latest unemp figures available are for the winter, which is always slower....but now we are into spring and things are probably beginning to improve....

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,664 times
The city's various economic development authorities have united and seem to be doing some effective. things Overall, a good long-term outlook for stable and diversified growth.
______________.
[url= [URL="http://www.topsyssolutions.com/"]http://www.topsyssolutions.com[/URL]]HR Services[/url]

Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,664 times
This city is various economic development authorities have united and seem to be doing for effective things.
Thanks
___________.
Tom.
[URL="[URL="http://www.topsyssolutions.com/"]http://www.topsyssolutions.com[/URL]"] HR services[/URL]

Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,589 times
Thank you for sharing! This was exactly what I was looking for.Very good article. Rated no.vang thank a remark, an honest comment. I like to list on this list. hello nick chat: thienthien_bk http://www.frivfollow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area