Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM

270 posts, read 529,651 times

Advertisements

The problem with the Berkely is that the spaces are downright tiny for the price compared to anything else in the city. Granted the location is great and the building has some very nice features but they definitely need to come down about 10-15% to be more in line with the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM

7 posts, read 36,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I don't know what rents are now at the Berkley, but it seemed to me that when they renovated it, they more than doubled the rents. And it's not like there was a lot of renovation to do, anyway. They put in some odd corner sinks in the baths (and some unfortunat faux finnishes) and updated the small kitchens. The floors, walls, etc. were already perfect.

Maybe they'll cut you a deal of some kind for a longer lease? One question: does the door have a buzzer now? Because back in the day it was a hassle letting people in. Thankfully the "M" units faced the front. I had a practice that came to be known as "throwing the animal". I had a key that was tied to a little stuffed animal and when my friend got to the front I would throw it out the window and he/she would catch it.
nope, no buzzer. it's a laser key thing. i do have a question about living in the berkley though. when you were there, were the halls air conditioned/heated? because if they are i think it would be easy to keep heating/cooling costs down by keeping the door window open and stealing heating/cooling from the hallway.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,274,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheflowers View Post
nope, no buzzer. it's a laser key thing. i do have a question about living in the berkley though. when you were there, were the halls air conditioned/heated? because if they are i think it would be easy to keep heating/cooling costs down by keeping the door window open and stealing heating/cooling from the hallway.
I truly don't remember if the halls were heated/cooled. I just remember the great tilework. I also don't remember the utility bills being killers there, or I couldn't have made it. The rent was $335 and I think I brought home about $950 a month, and I didn't have a roommate. You know, the "M" units had windows on three sides. So it was pretty easy to get a cross breeze going in there. And I added ceiling fans, so that helped a ton.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,238 times
Have you look at terrace court?

All hardwood, freshly renovated and apparently have a parking deck going in. $300 pet deposit, 2 bed 1 bath is $930, $45 a month for water.

Terrace Court | Amenities

Old 04-08-2011, 04:06 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,274,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarian View Post
Have you look at terrace court?

All hardwood, freshly renovated and apparently have a parking deck going in. $300 pet deposit, 2 bed 1 bath is $930, $45 a month for water.

Terrace Court | Amenities
I would get that in writing about the parking deck. "Approved" is not "built". Those apartments have always been huge, but with the attendant parking nightmare I would take a pass (Sort of like the Dulion and LaSalle buildings behind Highland UMC). For instance, negotiate two rental prices in the lease -- one without the deck and one with. You pay the "without deck" price until the deck is actually built and ready for use.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,549 times
Very safe

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 AM

55 posts, read 162,236 times
Safe enough, for sure. Might be better just driving around highland and southside collecting numbers off apt buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area