Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,723 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice about the Birmingham area. I am getting married this summer and my husband and I will be moving to the Birmingham area at that time. He is going to medical school at UAB and I will be in school there as well. However, he will be in school for four years and I will be done in two and then working in Tuscaloosa after that. We were hoping to find a place near UAB but closer to the southwest part of town. We are young and don't have children but would like to be in a good area of town with established homes and good resell values. We know very little about Bham and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM

56 posts, read 138,513 times
Not knowing what type of price range you are looking at, here are some places to look (in no particular order):

Homewood - Good resale value, closest suburb to UAB, lots of younger couples live there, has a nice little downtown area of its own. If walkability is important to you, it can be done in the right area. Most of the homes were built in the 30s and 40s, and are almost all on the small side.

Highland Park/Forest Park - Lots of UAB students/residents/postdocs/faculty live here. Very close to UAB, and close to highway access for you to get to Tuscaloosa. Highland Park has more apartments, Forest Park has more single family houses. Both neighborhoods are historic and walkable. Forest Park has a wide range of house styles, from small bungalows to mansions. Resale may be less reliable than Homewood since the schools are Birmingham city schools, but it is still pretty good. I live here and really like it.

Southside/Five Points - Closest to UAB, has some of the oldest homes in the city as well as scattered apartment complexes. Five Points is a local entertainment destination and has the best restaurants in the city. Resale is less reliable than other areas unless you buy a townhouse (these are popular with grad students).

Downtown - If you are interested in living in a loft, now is the time to do it (no kids, no obligations). The Loft District (roughly, 2nd Ave S to 2nd Ave N) is really booming right now and it seems like new restaurants and bars are opening up every week. You can find lofts in really historic buildings that have typical loft features (high ceilings, exposed brick, etc), or more conventional apartments that have better amenities (pools, gyms, etc).

Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM

270 posts, read 531,382 times
Forest Park, Highland Park

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM

69 posts, read 199,930 times
rmcarter1033 has the the whole line up down pat. I would say use those as a guide. I havent lived there in ages but I was born there and lived there for a good portion of my life. South west Bham is nicest part. I would start with Homewood. Also the Downtown area 5 Points is getting really trendy. That whole area I believe is in some sort of renaissance. There is a lot entertainment, clubs and restaurants in both of those areas. Don't much need a car either down there. Just park it and forget it. The downtown areas were once a dying shell of it self but its making a comeback. As people flee Atlanta I think Birmingham especially the downtown area will become the new hot spot of the South.

Roll Tide!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,246 times
Houses in the southern parts of Birmingham city (as mentioned above) vs Homewood will be much cheaper. I also think they will hold their value quite well. This part is rising, and the prices should hold up as such. They are also currently much cheaper than Homewood, and one could walk/bike to UAB, so one might not need to buy a parking permit and save a bit on gas.
I like central parts of Homewood as well though. And as said, if you don't want so much house, Homewood might be better (although you'd probably be paying more to purchase that smaller house).
Almost all of the housing in Birmingham city (besides the aforementioned townhouses) in the area consists of beautiful old homes. Homewood has some pretty homes too, but they tend to be pricey. Most of the housing was built a bit later than in Bham (but is not new).

Old 04-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Homes in Birmingham in general are not new... I think where I lived by the airport and air national guard base those homes were built in the 70's and a very very few of them were constructed in the early 80's.

The rest are 50's and earlier. I think my neighborhood consisted of homes that dated back to the late 1880's. Most of which are currently being renovated and restored by the University of Auburn.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM

52 posts, read 98,218 times
My best friend is selling a house in Homewood right now for a great price. He is a surgery resident at UAB, but he is moving to New York to a specialty residency.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,723 times
Thank you so much for all of the advice! I think this has really helped us narrow down some areas to check out. I really appreciate your quick and informative responses!

And newbamadock... could you tell me your friend's listing? I would love to look into it.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
Homes in Birmingham in general are not new... I think where I lived by the airport and air national guard base those homes were built in the 70's and a very very few of them were constructed in the early 80's.

The rest are 50's and earlier. I think my neighborhood consisted of homes that dated back to the late 1880's. Most of which are currently being renovated and restored by the University of Auburn.
As you posted earlier - you have not lived there for a while. The area around the airport is not exactly what a young professional couple wants to target.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
As you posted earlier - you have not lived there for a while. The area around the airport is not exactly what a young professional couple wants to target.

Thats funny... Cos I don't remember saying that. I was just conversing. Stating that there is a large stock of Old Homes. I wouldn't recommend anyone living near there. Its loud!!! F-16s flying overhead no thanks! My father was stationed there so thats why I lived there.

CD really has some annoying posters who seem to always seek out controversy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area