Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times

Advertisements

cpg and pennquaker - my little sister was in ballet at ASFA (and she's way more conservative than me); ASFA is very selective and provides a great HS education and those kids work their tails off. I have to smile at cpg saying that "girls are far less hung up on the social scene there" or pq saying "image doesn't matter". I got to 'tour' with the ballet company a couple of years so I saw those prima donnas first hand. cpg's warning about making sure that ASFA kids are grounded is well-founded - access to drugs and permissive attitudes about almost anything (except practice)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
cpg and pennquaker - my little sister was in ballet at ASFA (and she's way more conservative than me); ASFA is very selective and provides a great HS education and those kids work their tails off. I have to smile at cpg saying that "girls are far less hung up on the social scene there" or pq saying "image doesn't matter". I got to 'tour' with the ballet company a couple of years so I saw those prima donnas first hand. cpg's warning about making sure that ASFA kids are grounded is well-founded - access to drugs and permissive attitudes about almost anything (except practice)...
This was the point I was trying to make without actually having to say it.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
I see. So the students there can become addicted to drugs and such? I still don't get what the permissive attitudes about other things are. Like, they are rude? Or you mean sexuality? Of the things mentioned, I just wouldn't want a kid to be a meth addict or something.
I was also surprised that the social scene would be easier at Altamont and ASFA than, say, Homewood. I would have the preconception that those 2 places to be more populated with spoiled brats and more artificial kids. I guess this is totally wrong? A "school of fine arts" to be less about image surprises me. Kids being prima donnas kind of scares me.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I see. So the students there can become addicted to drugs and such? I still don't get what the permissive attitudes about other things are. Like, they are rude? Or you mean sexuality? Of the things mentioned, I just wouldn't want a kid to be a meth addict or something.
I was also surprised that the social scene would be easier at Altamont and ASFA than, say, Homewood. I would have the preconception that those 2 places to be more populated with spoiled brats and more artificial kids. I guess this is totally wrong? A "school of fine arts" to be less about image surprises me. Kids being prima donnas kind of scares me.
Well, the drug scene is pretty pervasive at ASFA, based on the experiences of those I know--even more so than moneyed suburban schools. And I know plenty of kids who go to both. Interestingly, both are so diverse that there doesn't seem to be much of a cutthroat social environment. Now, take that with a grain of salt because, in the case of both schools, my main source of information comes from the parents.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
What cpg said, but as student from the not so distant past. I think the difference is that the private school kids tend to hide it a bit better.

More on image. Being head cheerleader means social ladder gold at Mountain Brook. As well as being football captain or whatever you consider a place of royalty for high schoolers. Public schools, whether they're in a wealthy area like Mountain Brook, or a poorer area are all the same in that those kind activities boost ones image and popularity.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 69,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey, good luck to you. I think ASFA and Altamont will be outstanding choices for your daughter. Girls are far less hung up on the social scene there. I only have one cautionary note on ASFA based on family experience--make sure your daughter enjoys a normal family life and outlets outside of ASFA. Sometimes, I think they have an alternative reality. And I'm not exactly a conservative kind of guy. Personally, I think Altamont would be your best choice.

What activities will your 13-year-old son be in? To me, getting him involved in activities is key for developing a quick set of friends. But since you've moved around a good bit, you know that already. So what the hell am I doing giving you advice in this area?

And I think you're right about Mountain Brook vs. Homewood for total value. When we looked at homes, we found the same thing. Homewood is a great town, but the prices per square foot were just outrageous. Meanwhile, both the Cherokee Bend and Brookwood Forest districts tend to have excellent value.

Feel free to let us know if you need any further advice.
I think no matter where you are there is a "drug culture". These are teenagers after. I mean when I attended Ramsey and then john carroll in the 80s there was certainly some huffin and nose powdering goin on. I can't imagine that the years have reversed that trend, but I think it is less pervasive than say bing drinking. After all I control the pursue strings in my home and white powder is spendy and last i checked dealers don't take plastic.

I'm feeling better about the idea of this move. The house is great and my boss thought it was a great idea.

My middle son is an athlete and has played football and intends to try his hand at basketball. So with the way athleticism is lauded I think he will be fine.

IMHO Girls have way more pressure fitting in socially add in an extra cultural aspect and it just adds an unnecessary layer of complication. And let's not start on dating.

As I have said you've all been so gracious. I will def post an update when we get all moved in.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Yeah, I agree, there's likely a drug scene just about everywhere, unfortunately.
I do think there are some schools that have more cliquish or harsher environments than others though. I say this, because where I grew up had virtually no bullying, or clear hierarchy of who was "cool" (I don't know who the sports players or cheerleaders were, unless I knew them personally). This is a big concern for me.
Also, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
More on image. Being head cheerleader means social ladder gold at Mountain Brook. As well as being football captain or whatever you consider a place of royalty for high schoolers. Public schools, whether they're in a wealthy area like Mountain Brook, or a poorer area are all the same in that those kind activities boost ones image and popularity.
This is very true. Except it's also very important that you drive an expensive, late-model pickup truck with exhaust pipes and a steel bumper and a winch and mud tires, you know, because a 16-year-old needs those things all the time you know. Well, that's if you're a guy. If you're a girl, it's imperative that you drive a new Audi that goes 120 and feels like you're going 50, and you must make sure you text and fool with your iPod while driving. Yay, Dorians! Sorry, I'll stop.

Bman is right, there is a "drug culture" everywhere you go. That is pretty much just left up to chance, honestly, as far as whether or not your particular kid will end up using drugs. Chance and good parenting. Still though, I personally had problems with drugs during high school, and I have the best parents a person could have. It's a wash, but MB is better than, say, Gary, IN. And I know my location is Asheville, but I grew up in MB, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
HOWEVER, there are a lot of people, like my family, who don't have all those things, and don't feel the need to have all those things in order to compete with the neighbors. Now that I'm older, I realize that those kids weren't all that fortunate to be driving around in fancy cars, because that doesn't say anything for their character, and that's what's important. Also, if you grow up driving an $80,000 car, what do you have to look forward to in life, to strive for? If everything is handed to you for 20-some-odd years of your life (and some of them for their entire lives), it's gonna be mighty difficult to develop an appreciation for the value of a dollar and hard work.
[url]http://hack-stars.ru[/url]

Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 PM

18 posts, read 69,479 times
Well we are here and so far so good! Aside from being in a house that is a mess and trying to unpack. The nice older couple next door brought over a pound cake and it was awesome! Thanks to all who offered their opinions I really appreciated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area