U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,806 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I am strongly considering relocating to Birmingham, Alabama. I have never lived in the south. I live in AZ.

I am a 33 year old single white female with one son thats half black.
I'm really not interested in going to clubs I do still like to get out and have a nice time. I neverd lived in a very large city my life and would love a change pace. I am also looking for good schools for me and my son. I trying to go to school to be a RN?



Also I'm interested in what the job market is like and also the unemployment rate.

I am a caregiver field would really appreciate a point in the right direction before starting my job search.

also like to know where is good/bad areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
Reputation: 34336
Well, the employment situation is not terribly great in Birmingham. However, if you are already in the healthcare field, then there are plenty of opportunities in the market. Birmingham is very much a regional healthcare center and nurses tend to command a premium. Plus UAB's school of nursing is top notch. So, depending on what your skills already are, you might be able to find a situation in the market.

I would choose one of the suburbs south of town. Homewood, Vestavia, or Hoover. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM
 
3,518 posts, read 2,906,009 times
Reputation: 5351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would choose one of the suburbs south of town. Homewood, Vestavia, or Hoover. Hope that helps.
Or Mountain Brook if you can afford the property taxes. The school system is not what I would call diverse, but education doesn't get any better for a public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2011, 04:10 PM
 
18 posts, read 30,486 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Or Mountain Brook if you can afford the property taxes. The school system is not what I would call diverse, but education doesn't get any better for a public school.
Its gotten a little more diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 PM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
Reputation: 34336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman0429 View Post
Its gotten a little more diverse
Hah. An excellent point. By the way, how are you and yours settling in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 PM
 
18 posts, read 30,486 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hah. An excellent point. By the way, how are you and yours settling in?
We are doing great! I cannot express how great and welcoming everyone in this community has been so far. It so much so to the point where I feel foolish for thinking otherwise.

The schools are really worth living here and what makes them so great is the level of parental participation.

Our neighbors have been great too!

Anyone thinking about moving here would be well served to give it a very hard look despite the costs.

The only negative has been that the storms that came through a few weeks ago left us without power for nearly a week! I understand why so many people here have generators.

All I can say is that my team has increased the minority population (a la city data) by 100% and we've been blown away and very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
Reputation: 34336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman0429 View Post
We are doing great! I cannot express how great and welcoming everyone in this community has been so far. It so much so to the point where I feel foolish for thinking otherwise.

The schools are really worth living here and what makes them so great is the level of parental participation.

Our neighbors have been great too!

Anyone thinking about moving here would be well served to give it a very hard look despite the costs.

The only negative has been that the storms that came through a few weeks ago left us without power for nearly a week! I understand why so many people here have generators.

All I can say is that my team has increased the minority population (a la city data) by 100% and we've been blown away and very happy.
Well, I'm glad to here you're settling in well and that your kids are making friends and getting involved. I think MB sometimes gets a unfair rep that way.

And I hear you on the generators. It's pretty funny when the power conks out and you start hearing them rev up all over the neighborhood. I'm just too cotton-picking cheap to buy one myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,058,349 times
Reputation: 34336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I'm glad to hear you're settling in well and that your kids are making friends and getting involved. I think MB sometimes gets a unfair rep that way.

And I hear you on the generators. It's pretty funny when the power conks out and you start hearing them rev up all over the neighborhood. I'm just too cotton-picking cheap to buy one myself.
Duh. I hate typos. I swear I'm not an illiterate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 AM
 
74 posts, read 70,666 times
Reputation: 29
I would try to go to Mountain Brook.I grew up in Mountain Brook and miss the possibility of raising my kids there. As for snobbery and stuck up behavior,doesnt even compare to where I live now:Miami Florida.If you are not Hispanic down here you are treated like a pariaheverywhere you go:the stores,school etc.And it doesnt matter from what socioeconomic background you are from,if you are White down here,you are scum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
 
2,337 posts, read 3,073,929 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
I would try to go to Mountain Brook.I grew up in Mountain Brook and miss the possibility of raising my kids there. As for snobbery and stuck up behavior,doesnt even compare to where I live now:Miami Florida.If you are not Hispanic down here you are treated like a pariaheverywhere you go:the stores,school etc.And it doesnt matter from what socioeconomic background you are from,if you are White down here,you are scum
Your post surely will scare away people from Mountain Brook!
Luckily I know not everyone from Mtn Brook is like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top