Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,981 times

Advertisements

I moving to bham for work, going to work estes express trucking lines. Im moving from nashville, tn. Im 24 and very active, like going to the bars and playing golf. i need either a townhouse or apartment thats sorta close to the city but I dont wanna live in the city, heard bad things about lol.

I heard great things about vestavia hills and hoover, which both are pretty close to estes. Anyone have any other suggestions about where to live. looking to spend about 800 a month, maybe more, commute of no more than 30 mins to the city.

Thanks for all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
nice

Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM

415 posts, read 801,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRonnieO View Post
i need either a townhouse or apartment thats sorta close to the city but I dont wanna live in the city, heard bad things about lol.
What bad things? Where did you live in Nashville?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
q

Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Southside and downtown Birmingham are actually the best places for a young single person to live and hang out (e.g. where the bars and other stuff like that is). Vestavia and Hoover are where you live if you want to send your kids to a good school. People who talk smack about Bham probably haven't been there in a couple decades.
Also, if you are commuting to Birmingham during rush hours, there will be a lot of traffic from Vestavia and Hoover.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,981 times
thanks for the info. do you happen to know any decent apartments in the southside parts of bham.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,781 times
Im making a similar move Ronnie.... Except i'm coming from ny... i know a lot of people in Alabama and as you said they recommend NOT living in downtown birmingham! I'm looking in hoover and south birmingham like vestavia and homewood... if i find anything out i will keep you posted...

Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
There is really no reason to live in Vestavia, Hoover, or even Homewood unless you have school aged children. I will repeat that most of those people from Alabama, probably have not even visited most or any parts of Birmingham in decades. It's similar to how people that still think of NYC as it was in the 70's.
If you are 24, single, active, and enjoy the bar scene, I am of the opinion you will very much regret living in the suburbs.
I would just go to craigslist to look for apartments. S and G properties has some decent nice units.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
There is really no reason to live in Vestavia, Hoover, or even Homewood unless you have school aged children. I will repeat that most of those people from Alabama, probably have not even visited most or any parts of Birmingham in decades. It's similar to how people that still think of NYC as it was in the 70's.
If you are 24, single, active, and enjoy the bar scene, I am of the opinion you will very much regret living in the suburbs.
I would just go to craigslist to look for apartments. S and G properties has some decent nice units.
Bluebeard's right. If you're single, the best quality of life is on Southside/Forest Park.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM

415 posts, read 801,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGir45l View Post
Im making a similar move Ronnie.... Except i'm coming from ny... i know a lot of people in Alabama and as you said they recommend NOT living in downtown birmingham! I'm looking in hoover and south birmingham like vestavia and homewood... if i find anything out i will keep you posted...
Don't understand their thought process. If you are young and single closer to downtown is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area