U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm moving to the Avondale area from Columbus, Georgia in February. I have some friends who own a place there and they told me I could come stay with them rent free for a couple of months until I get a job and can start paying for a room there.

My only problem is that I don't have a car. I'm gonna be living off of 5th Ave, right by Avondale Park. Are there places nearby where I can find work? Preferably something I can walk or bike to. I've worked a lot of retail jobs, a cafe job...customer service/retail or restaraunt jobs would be the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I'm a struggling artist (visual and musical) and I have a lot of tattoos, so I need something where that would be okay.

I've heard a lot about Birmingham's high crime rate, but I have several other friends in Birmingham, and everyone tells me this is a pretty decent area. Is this true? I've been there several times myself, and walked around the area at different times of the day and night, and everything seemed cool.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 AM

25,252 posts, read 27,370,393 times
Neighborhoods change very quickly in that part of town. Fifth Avenue South is iffy. Sixth Avenue South is fine. We lived in that neighborhood a long time and loved it. And with the park's renovation, it's going to be even better.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM

907 posts, read 1,195,534 times
Avondale is a good area for the young and artistic. South of the Park you'll find single family homes that increase in price and quality as you get closer to Forest Park and Crestwood. As CPG said, the "comfort" zone changes between 5th and 6th, primarily because north of 6th you'll start to find a lot of infill apartment complexes from the 1980s that don't cater to the best neighbors in the world. But the boosters of downtown Avondale are working HARD to make it work. There is a microbrewery and I think several folks in the design trades right in the area. But there is also a no-tell motel right there and a Spanish-speaking used car lot. It's a mix of things that makes me think of larger cities than Birmingham.

You might find work right there in the area, but my take on the area is that it is a lot of self-employed small entrepreneurs. So I'm thinking they're not in a position to do much hiring. On the bright side, you will be right on the bus line. The bus system wheezes along and is prone to lateness and breakdowns and is forever cutting routes, but it does still exist. As long as you can find something with regular hours (buses don't run overnight) you can make use of public transit. Also, you can always bike. Or you can bus/bike, as the buses have racks for bikes.

There are a lot of locally-owned restaurants in the Five Points and Forest Park area, and that would be a good place to start. But Avondale is pretty centrally-located, which will help for the job hunt. Welcome to Birmingham!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM

25,252 posts, read 27,370,393 times
To add to what Jakabedy said, it's an awfully easy bike ride to downtown, Southside, and UAB.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Miv

147 posts, read 136,464 times
The #17 Eastwood bus runs right on 5th Ave. Take that bus to the Eastwood area and there are tons of retail stores to work at (Walmart, office depot, etc....). I like the bike riding idea. You are not far from the UAB area. Plenty of jobs there.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 AM

234 posts, read 444,578 times
jakabedy is most accurate as far as Avondale goes. Good neighborhood. Downtown and areas near to it are actually some of the most safe places in the state.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 8,016 times
How do I start a new thread?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 AM

907 posts, read 1,195,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikesimlost View Post
How do I start a new thread?
Go up to the very top, where there is the folder tree for the site and click on the last one, ">Birmingham Area>" and that will take you back to the B'ham area main page. From there you'ss see a blue oval button a few inches down on the left that says "new post".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area