Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,907 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what area E Lake Blvd is? I know where Tarrant schools are and those are pretty quiet areas. Just want to be sure we are talking about Tarrant and NOT Inglenook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM

22 posts, read 34,368 times
tarrant is not bad, go further out to Pinson area

Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM

178 posts, read 370,407 times
thanks for replying. Indeed the area is not Inglenook but Tarrant. But I see on google maps that Inglenook is about 10 blocks away and E Lake Blvd does run through it.
The houses I am interested in are around the Tarrant Intermediate/Middle school

Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM

178 posts, read 370,407 times
I just spoke to the asset manager and seems that the house is not in a livable condition (needs plumbing and electrical work) and is suited only for the investors.
Would be grateful if y'all could allow me to bother y'all with more questions as soon as I am eligible to get a mortgage

Cheers,

Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybuddha View Post
thanks for replying. Indeed the area is not Inglenook but Tarrant. But I see on google maps that Inglenook is about 10 blocks away and E Lake Blvd does run through it.
The houses I am interested in are around the Tarrant Intermediate/Middle school
I used to live around there and I don't miss it. On the surface it looks like a decent neighborhood with middle class people and some okay houses, but like you say - Inglenook is only a few blocks away. Plus there's also Zion Hill which is practically a ghost town (or ghost neighborhood) because the airport has been buying up all the homes because of the noise. Now, there's a lot of gang/drug activity in and around the abandoned homes and empty school.

We never had any real issues except one of my cars vandalized (stolen side markers) but every so often we'd hear gunfire. The airport noise wasn't as bad as I thought, but every so often a couple of jet jockeys would play around in their fighters for what seemed like hours on end. Plus the KC-130s and Chinnooks were especially loud on approach. Passenger jets were quiet in comparison.

If you are far enough away from Inglenook you'll probably be okay. 10 blocks is 10 blocks. Hell, Gate City isn't really that far from Crest line/Mountain Brook.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
There are numbers of homes where the owner will finance, removing some of the credit issues. As for Centerpoint, a mid-term play in that area could make sense. If and when the northern connector gets built land values will go up, along with some properties being condemned and purchased at fair market value by eminent domain for the roadway. Right now, property values there are in a major slump, so the upside potential is significant. Yes, it is a gamble.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,433,497 times
Tourian - Chinook! Lucky you to got to hear The Big WockaWocka! Here in HSV we're lucky to see / hear military helicopters almost daily. Plus we get to hear explosives testing / disposal frequently - lately it's been almost non-stop - I've heard / felt at least half a dozen house-shaking booms just this morning. Ah, the sound of freedom...

happybuddha - before you make an offer on a house, recommend that you get a home inspector to look over the house so that you know about any issues - it may cost several hundred dollars but save you from making a mistake or at least inform you so you can budget accordingly.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Tourian - Chinook! Lucky you to got to hear The Big WockaWocka! Here in HSV we're lucky to see / hear military helicopters almost daily. Plus we get to hear explosives testing / disposal frequently - lately it's been almost non-stop - I've heard / felt at least half a dozen house-shaking booms just this morning. Ah, the sound of freedom...
Ha ha, you guys can have it. I don't know what I'd do if I lived near the Arsenal. The big refuelers come in so low and so slow, they just seem to hang there for an eternity and it is almost kind of scary if you are on Hwy 79/Centerpoint Pkwy when one of them is on approach. The big helicopter guys just like to dilly dalley around and you can barely tell where they are because the sound seems to come from everywhere. And as far as the jets go, I guess they were F-16s, but they were literally having a mock dogfight over my house a couple of times in the middle of the day when we lived there - on my day off -while I was trying to sleep. The random Southwest 737 going ballistic right after takeoff was like a butterfly fart in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area