Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 PM

49 posts, read 63,980 times

Advertisements

Both hubby and I grew up in Homewood and lived in Vestavia for 6 years prior to moving to Atlanta for a job. We are contemplating a move back to B'ham this spring but a lot has changed in the Bham area since 2006. We have a 4 yo son who will be starting kindergarten this fall and is my major concern. I am also very concerned about the implications of the Jefferson County bankruptcy.

As much as I would love for my son to go to Vestavia I don't know if I can stomach a $100 plus water bill ever month plus whatever the tax increases will end up being. The other area I am seriously considering is Indian Springs and the unincorporated area of Shelby County nearby. How does the Oak Mountain Elementary, Middle and High School compare to Vestavia? I would not rule out private school if necessary.

Homewood and Hoover schools are not an option and I don't think I can stomach Mtn. Brook..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,985 times
I'm nosey, lol! Why not Homewood, Hoover, or Mtn. Brook?

I'm also a household of 3 and our water bill never hits over $60. Oak Mountains schools are excellent.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM

49 posts, read 63,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miv View Post
I'm nosey, lol! Why not Homewood, Hoover, or Mtn. Brook?

I'm also a household of 3 and our water bill never hits over $60. Oak Mountains schools are excellent.
We have relatives that work for Homewood and it has definately changed for the worse crime wise since we grew up (both from Homewood) and it is difficult to find a home with a basement with 4 bedrooms for under 400K zoned for Edgewood or Shades Cahaba Elementary. Hoover, I've never really cared for it to live there, too many apartments for my taste. As for Mtn. Brook, well we're just not into the keeping up with Jones's type people nor do care to be hassled by some attorney next door for a dog barking at 6:59 am (know someone this has happened to and have heard other crazy stories). We were very happy in Vestavia but don't want to jump into the unknown with the consequences of the Jeff Co. bankruptcy looming overhead.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1972 View Post
We have relatives that work for Homewood and it has definately changed for the worse crime wise since we grew up (both from Homewood) and it is difficult to find a home with a basement with 4 bedrooms for under 400K zoned for Edgewood or Shades Cahaba Elementary. Hoover, I've never really cared for it to live there, too many apartments for my taste. As for Mtn. Brook, well we're just not into the keeping up with Jones's type people nor do care to be hassled by some attorney next door for a dog barking at 6:59 am (know someone this has happened to and have heard other crazy stories). We were very happy in Vestavia but don't want to jump into the unknown with the consequences of the Jeff Co. bankruptcy looming overhead.
Haha, that's only part of Mountain Brook. Outside of the snobby country clubbers, most Mountain Brook residents are perfectly wonderful upper middle class families. And remember, all those rich residents means a lot of money goes into the schools.

But you have to find a balance that works for you. Personally, I am grateful every day that I grew up in a community that is safe, beautiful, and that has a public school system as good as most private schools. But I have met many nice and intelligent people from Oak Mountain that had nothing but positive things to say.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,985 times
Yep, sound like you need to head for Shelby County.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 AM

18 posts, read 69,466 times
Hey There,

Let me add one more vote for Mtn Brook. We moved to Birmingham from Atlanta last year and had many of the same criteria that you mentioned, but had zero desire to move south of 459 due to traffic and commuting concerns.

I had some of the same false ideas (and then some) about Mtn Brook, but let me tell you they have all been proven wrong. The schools are absolutely top notch. Its not (just) the money that goes into the schools, but also parental education levels and involvement. I've never experienced people more engaged in their children's education. We've found just about everyone to be very open and welcoming and couldn't be more pleased with the decision.

Additionally there are some great deals to be had on housing where your child could actually walk to school.

Last edited by bman0429; 02-10-2012 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: grammar spelling

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman0429 View Post
Hey There,

Let me add one more vote for Mtn Brook. We moved to Birmingham from Atlanta last year and had many of the same criteria that you mentioned, but had zero desire to move south of 459 due to traffic and commuting concerns.

I had some of the same false ideas (and then some) about Mtn Brook, but let me tell you they have all been proven wrong. The schools are absolutely top notch. Its not (just) the money that goes into the schools, but also parental education levels and involvement. I've never experienced people more engaged in their children's education. We've found just about everyone to be very open and welcoming and couldn't be more pleased with the decision.

Additionally there are some great deals to be had on housing where your child could actually walk to school.
Hi, bman. I remember the reservations you had. I'm so glad that you and are your children are enjoying your experience here. Did you wind up at Cherokee Bend? At one point, I remember you considering Altamont for your daughter. Did it work out that way?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM

18 posts, read 69,466 times
We did indeed windup at Cherokee Bend. My daughter is @ shades valley and is auditioning for ASFA. Like I said we are so happy here. I hope people will allow themselves to open their minds a bit.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman0429 View Post
We did indeed windup at Cherokee Bend. My daughter is @ shades valley and is auditioning for ASFA. Like I said we are so happy here. I hope people will allow themselves to open their minds a bit.
Good to hear it.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 18,180 times
If you still want Vestavia, you could look into some of the newer incorporated areas around Cahaba Heights. Our neighborhood is not on Jeff County Sewer (we are on septic), so we do not have to worry about the sewer issue (unless they start taxing non-users!) and our housing prices are a little more palatable than some other areas in Vestavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area