Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 AM

57 posts, read 122,205 times

Advertisements

Can any of the Birmingham locals speak to the quality of St Vincent's Hospital? My wife is pregnant with twins, and we're moving to the area. Are there better maternity hospitals in the area?

Also, there was a job opening at St Vincent's I'm interested in (I work in Healthcare), and I didn't know employees opinions of it. From all of the Catholic based hospitals I've ever been to, they're usually really well kept, and very friendly. Is that how St Vincent's is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 349,934 times
There is no better hospital than St. Vincent's. That's where I had my son.

The only thing that sucked was the food so I had family running across the street to McDonalds, lol.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,366,253 times
Had my twins at UAB, but that was 30 years ago. However. they're not world-renowned for nothin'!
I have a friend who had her twins at St. Vincent's around 6 or 7 years ago. She was very pleased. My orthopaedic surgeon has moved to St. Vincent's, but I have not been hospitalized there. But overall I hear good things.
I have a friend who worked there until about a dozen years ago, but she worked for a company that contracted with SV to do their lab tests. Plus St. V has grown exponentially since then. The only complaint I've heard about working conditions is that one department doesn't know what another is doing. That sounds applicable to all hospitals. FWIW, I am about 85 miles north of B'ham, so I don't hear the day-to-day stuff.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM

157 posts, read 326,817 times
Medicare Hospital Compare Quality of Care Compare Page

recommendations from friends, family and CD are clearly important when evaluating and comparing hospitals, especially when you are having twins! And congrats BTW on your blessings!. As a nurse myself and Mom of four children, I can understand why you would want to compare the quality and performance of hospitals. The link above provides statistical performance data for three Birmingham hospitals including st. Vincents, do not be put off because this is a federally sponsored Medicare government website, as there are also a lot of quality performance data which pertains to populations beyond the medicare population. Hope this info also helps in your decision making.

best wishes!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,019,688 times
Brookwood has just opened a renovated Women and Children's Center that's awfully sweet. Worth a visit for sure. My wife had all three at Brookwood and swears by them.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,688,033 times
My wife has had and will have both our kids at Brookwood. She's looking forward to the new women's center they just opened. Although, St Vincents has a great reputation too. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 PM

138 posts, read 253,539 times
I was born at St. Vincent's if that tells you anything (I'm awesome therefore St. Vincent's is awesome).

Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 AM

897 posts, read 2,450,165 times
St. Vincent's is Tops-I had both my children at Brookwood and was very happy-

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,585,282 times
We used UAB and were happy with it. The amenities at the private hospitals are likely better, I guess, but the Woman and Infants center is also brand spanking new. I've heard that in private hospitals the OB just comes at the end for the delivery. We were happy that ours frequently came in and took part in the delivery process with us. The delivery nurses, especially the experienced one during the 2nd shift change was great. I'm actually guessing that the private hospitals will have more experienced nurses though, and that's a big deal.
I've heard great things from people who used St Vincents, in general. Brookwood also gives a good impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area