Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM

522 posts, read 846,500 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to get everyones opinion in possible uses of any empty birmingham building. There is preservation, restoration, etc., going on all over downtown, but what about other areas?

For example...
-Ralph & Kacoos on 280--- Dave & Busters
-Century Plaza--- something like an Aquarium, Planetarium,museum,
-a vacant building in Five Points South--- Hard Rock Cafe

Just whatever you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM

178 posts, read 334,559 times
That's an awesome idea for century plaza, some kind of large interactive museum would be nice, though competing with Atlanta and Chattanooga might be tough. Maybe a world class natural history museum, don't think we have one in the south.

I'm a bit biased as I'm highland park but I always that Lakeview was the place for a Dave & Busters, close enough to walk to bars and restaurants.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 9,722 times
There is still a lot of racism here. I moved from a major NE city as well and its a little behind the times...Is your job in Trussville and what type of housing are you looking at? http://www.filii.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner339 View Post
Maybe a world class natural history museum, don't think we have one in the south.
That would be supercool. However, the biggest problem is that all the really cool stuff is taken already. The Smithsonian, the British Museum, and so on aren't going to sell you anything that really brings in visitors.

An aquarium could be pretty cool though they are very expensive. You have all the problems of a zoo plus all the problems of a sewage treatment plant. One good take I've seen on the aquarium is the one in the Dubai Mall in Dubai. Two story glass tank for free viewing with I think a $25 ticket you got to see the smaller and closer exhibits as well as a closer view of the tank and a walk through a tunnel under it. Plus its in a mall so you have plenty of free advertising to people shopping, and you get impulse ticket purchases which isn't something many aquariums can claim.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
I think Dave & Busters should go in at the Summit, but I guess the next best choice would be in the new entertainment district and then perhaps the Southside.

I think an aquarium is a bit of a pipe dream. For Century Plaza, I think a huge family fun center would be nice - but it would have to have a police substation right there to make sure it doesn't get flash mobbed out of existence. But there would be enough room for putt putt, go karts, batting cages, video games, laser tag, etc...But, those places never seem to last before some idiot shoots somebody or exposes himself to a kid.

They might as well just turn Century Plaza into nice apartments or an assisted living complex.

Speaking of abandoned buildings, what is the deal with the Omelet Shoppe on 31 across from Crown Mercedes? Is that guy still holding out for some pie in the sky offer? That spot has been vacant for like, 20 years or more, right?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 PM

178 posts, read 334,559 times
I dunno. Parking and traffic at the Summit is already a royal pain on peak days. Easier to throw up a deck at Lakeview (I think that new apartment complex is already planning one) and get people out of their cars. The new district might work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area