Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I have lived in Birmingham for all of my life- it is a wonderful town and has a great small town feel... lots of music venues. arts and concerts , and groups for young people-There are dogs all over southside/highland avenue and even a Do Dah Day in may- a huge day filled with dogs, kids,families -and music- big fundraiser for the Humane society- here is link about the new dog park in alabaster which is 30 minutes south of Bham
Birmingham, Alabama, Dog Parent Wins Dream Dog Park Contest from Beneful! - Houston Dog Blog | Houston Pet Resource | Houston Dog Information | Houston Dogs | Come. Sit. Stay.
Interesting that a festival filled with dogs would be called "Do Dah Day."

Old 05-04-2012, 01:40 PM

497 posts, read 695,978 times
Hi Abuckeyeleaf. You are close enough to Birmingham that you should drive over there one weekend and hang out - if you have not already done so. Here's my take on both areas.

Cost of living - I spent 5 years in Birmingham and did not see a difference in the cost of living - if fact, I was shocked when I got my first pay check and saw that the city and county had an occupational tax (not sure if they still do). Therefore, if you are looking for a less expensive place to live, Birmingham may not be it.

Dating/Social activities - I was single and 28 when I moved to Birmingham - I am also a female. I had a difficult time and a less-than-stellar social life while I was there. Birmingham is not a large metropolitan city which means there are not as many outsiders/transplants as you will find in Atlanta or Dallas. Therefore, it's more difficult to break into social circles. Others may disagree, but that is how I felt while I was there. Churches are plentiful in the area, and many have very strong singles groups (if that's your thing).

Birmingham is a really nice city and has many positives (I miss eating lunch at Franklin's Homewood Gourmet and walking around English Village in Mountain Brook). Since your job has an office in both Birmingham and Atlanta, then you really don't have anything to lose. Give it a year, and if it's not for you, then see if you can relocate back to Atlanta or find another place that fits your life. You won't know for sure until you move there. Best wishes!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 PM

49 posts, read 63,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick92170 View Post
You make Birmingham sound better overall, but then seem to be clouding the issue with this comment above.

Vestavia and Hoover would be even worse (not even gonna mention Mountain Brook), wouldn't they? Where do you suggest that Buckeye should live in Metro B'ham? Trussville or further out in Shelby County?

I think from what she's said, that advice about finding a church like DMBC and Homewood sounds pretty good...

People are trying to keep up with the Joneses everywhere...

I interpreted your comment about Atlanta as speaking more to the transient nature and stress of the place. And lack of community, yes. Along with a different big city/international vibe. Buckeye seemed to concur. And I do too.

I don't think she's wanting to leave Atlanta because she can't keep up with other singles in North Fulton financially... . So, accepting this fact of life that the "Joneses" live everywhere and that this really isn't (or doesn't need to be?) part of the Atlanta/Birmingham debate, what's wrong with the advice?

Sorry, I agreed with you overall on the analysis of the two places, but the above comment just struck me as odd...not trying to be too ornery here...
I grew up in Homewood and our family still lives there. Edgewood is full of residents and interns and Hollywood is along the lines of living in Mtn Brook. I've had plenty of friends over the years that attend Dawson- and the post was directed at Dawson- Dawson is all about the amount of money you have and the money you give especially if you want to be a deacon. When we were in Vestavia, we found it be a breath of fresh air compared to Homewood, of course we weren't in the Country Club section. Of course the snobbery in certain section of B'ham can't compete with the antics of the 30K millionaire wanna be in Atlanta.. Atlanta is all about the bling.. on steroids. I just didn't think that person would be happy at Dawson-- its stuffy, and I like a high church, traditional service.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:25 PM

46 posts, read 50,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuckeyeleaf View Post
Hello all. I'm currently living in one of the northern Atlanta suburbs. Originally from Ohio, I moved to atl 3.5 years ago. I've come to love the south, but realize I hate Atlanta. It's too big, too busy too expensive and I'm not happy. I want to stay south and my company has an office in Bham (vestavia/cahaba area) so that would be great. I hear Bham has most amenities of a city but is substantially smaller than atl, so it has that small town/southern hospitality feel.

My ex and I had also planned on moving to Bham together...just because we broke up doesn't mean I can't live out the dream!

I figured there had to be some folks who have lived in both areas and I'd love your take on things!

About me: 25 single white female, baptist and attend church, no kids, two dogs. Are there any good dog parks in the area? Very important!
I would ping the Nashville board too. Much more to offer and closer to ohio.

Regards

Old 09-23-2016, 09:33 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,844 times
4 years too late[QUOTE=GotLuv4Ham;45588587]I would ping the Nashville board too. Much more to offer and closer to ohio.

Regards[/quote]

Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I actually have a former colleague that took a job in Birmingham and relocated from Denver (she was a Dallas native, 28 and single). She has been delighted with Birmingham, describing it as an easy, friendly city with enough amenities to keep her happy. As for me, I've always thought that B'ham has been hiding its' light under a bushel.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:31 AM

459 posts, read 474,744 times
I currently sold my house north of Atlanta and heading back to where I'm originally from up in the midwest. I did live in Alabama and can honestly say I'd never return. I understand your job position being offered is not in Nashville, Tennessee, but I really would try and pick that over B'ham anyday. The southeast is becoming a difficult and congested place to live and travel through. I really want no part of it anymore to be 100% honest with you. I enjoy four seasons such as winter, spring, fall, and summer. The only thing I didn't miss is driving in snow, but I'm willing to take my chances back home in the midwest. In the end everybody has to do what's right for them. I'll piggy back on what someone else said where Alabama you'll have mainly people born and raised in Alabama whereas Atlanta you'll have people from all over the world. Nashville you'll have people from all over as well but a lot closer to Ohio without the brutal winters that you don't like in Ohio. I really think southern Ohio wouldn't be bad at all for winter. I lived in St. Louis, Missouri, for a couple years and the winters there were not bad at all. I'd stay in Atlanta till you found a position elsewhere besides b'ham. No way would I ever move back to Alabama in a trillion years.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I currently sold my house north of Atlanta and heading back to where I'm originally from up in the midwest. I did live in Alabama and can honestly say I'd never return. No way would I ever move back to Alabama in a trillion years.
So...you didnt specifically say you lived in Birmingham yet you feel qualified to tell people what it is or isnt based on your experience "in Alabama." Sounds like we're all better off without you.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So...you didnt specifically say you lived in Birmingham yet you feel qualified to tell people what it is or isnt based on your experience "in Alabama." Sounds like we're all better off without you.
It was stated that they lived in AL(no doubt briefly).
At any rate, there's always someone out there with an ax to grind.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 AM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
"The southeast is becoming a difficult and congested place to live and drive through".

Really? I live 3 miles from work, within 5 miles of major shopping, and pretty much anything I ever do. If I drive further it's just to get out. And it never takes me hardly any time to go from Point A to Point B. If someone lives 30 miles from work or town it's their choice.

I've driven all over the southeast and i can't say that I've ever felt like killing my self because of the traffic. The only time I have felt like killing myself was when a car tailgated me down I65 and after I got out of the way he passed me and it was someone from Ohio. :? They love Ohio but drive like a bat out of hell to get to the coast.

But anyway, that was a funny comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area