Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Bham View Post
Speaking of hispanic foods, you know what I had a hell of a time finding, well didn't end up finding at all actually, cayenne peppers. I had a Cajun boiled shrimp recipe that called for fresh cayenne peppers. I tried Publix, Brunos, Fresh Market, Tria Market, Target and the Piggly Wiggly in Forrest Park which seems to have a larger hispanic food dept. I couldn't even find dried cayenne peppers! Tria told me they have such a short shelf life that most places don't bother to stock them.
I drove all over the place looking for lemon thyme as well. Only to find out later a friend of mine grows it in her herb garden!

I should probaby find a food forum and start a "foods I can't find" thread.
I'm curious...did you try Whole Foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 AM

41 posts, read 146,599 times
Default Tj

I know Trader Joes "talk" is getting very annoying for some of you...

The reason being is ... yes, Fresh Market may have this and Whole Foods may have that. BUT, the "Trader Joes" BRAND of food is mainly what we're (I'm) after. Their brand of soup, yogurt, snacks, salsas, frozen foods, etc...is all delicious and can only be bought at TJ.

Just thought I'd clarify before we drive you all completely nuts.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 AM

182 posts, read 901,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Give me a break! Even Wallmart on 280 carries them. Had you asked - you could have picked them:>)
Figures, I don’t do Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
I'm curious...did you try Whole Foods?
This was before Whole Foods opened. If I ever have need of them again, I will probably try there first.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 View Post

The reason being is ... yes, Fresh Market may have this and Whole Foods may have that. BUT, the "Trader Joes" BRAND of food is mainly what we're (I'm) after. Their brand of soup, yogurt, snacks, salsas, frozen foods, etc...is all delicious and can only be bought at TJ.

I would like to get a Trader Joe's here. I posted in another thread that they have a place on their website where you can request that they consider putting a location in your community. I put in a request and told them about Birmingham. PLEASE go to the TJ website and request a store here. If they will actually get on a plane and travel here (and analyze the demographics of average household income etc), I'll bet we'll get one....

The developer who put in Whole Foods said they had a bad perception of Birmingham but when shown the statistics, they became very interested and their store here is one of the top in the country in sales per square foot.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 AM

12 posts, read 50,779 times
Default they dont understand how freakin good el pollo loco is

same issue here in new orleans (im moving to bham next month by the way). there are NO good fast food places in the south. I would KILL for an In N Out burger!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 AM

125 posts, read 209,059 times
Quote:
there are NO good fast food places in the south.
Perhaps if you ventured inside an establishment, sat down, cracked open a menu, took a deep breath, and dined like a civilized person!...

You just might find that dining with dignity is sooo soul-satisfying (not to mention hunger-satisfying, thirst-quenching), as well as a social opportunity. And a chance to unwind properly. The act of dining in -- in a relaxed posture and at a medium (or even slow) pace -- generally promotes well-being and health.

You see, Ms. California, many of us here in the South still cling to refinement and aren't in the rat race -- at least whatever race we're running, er jogging, can wait a few extra minutes for some proper sit down time!

Granted, the fried food factor is considerably higher than your native state; but you'll find that in B'ham and in N.O. (I'm familiar with both) there are many healthy choices. Certainly healthier than any fast food fare.

DINE IN!: For burgers in N.O., go to Port of Call on Esplanade. Or Camellia Grill on Carrollton. Try Mother's on Poydras for po-boys, jambalaya, and other assorted fare non-burger style. For Greek sandwiches: Byblos on Magazine or Lebanon Cafe on Carrollton. Try any number of po-boy stands, cafes, and quickie restaurants all over N.O.! If you like California-style burritos, I recommend Juan's Flying Burrito in a couple of locales.

NOLA just doesn't do typical fast food well (save Popeyes and the myriad daiquiri stands). Again, it's because the DEMAND for high-quality, tasty fast food (oxymoron?) is basically nil in a city that understands good food, good company, and a normal pace. Keep in mind that you can carry-out any of the above and eat in your car/ on the run if California-itis has you by the throat and you just unhitch yourself from the GO-GO-GO EXPRESS.

Last edited by san phlegmatico; 02-24-2008 at 04:04 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 03:55 AM

125 posts, read 209,059 times
Quote:

Try V. Richards in Forest Park or Tria in SoHo-Homewood. These two organic/ specialty/ upscale/ health nut/ foodie groceries are flat out superb. Pricey, but top drawer and user-friendly. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

B'ham has no Trader Joes. I have never seen any TJ brand items in this metro area.

P.S. You have lamented the fast food issue... B'ham does have a Chipotle on Hwy 31 for the Cali-style taco and burrito fix. Another tip: learn to like BBQ -- the state cuisine of Alabama. There are many excellent BBQ drive-thrus all over.

Last edited by san phlegmatico; 02-24-2008 at 04:11 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Caligirl - NOLA is the home of Popeyes - love dat chicken...

I don't recall eating many burgers in NOLA, although there was a bar on lower Decatur that grilled out free burgers (and chicken) every weekend - the Abbey... I haven't been to NOLA in years though...

ChickFilA is another Southern fast food place that's very good.

I live in HSV - 'Five Guys' burgers just opened a few stores here - they're pretty good.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
Default Future move but won't feel "New" to me

I read what Threestep wrote and couldn't agree more with the questioning of what "newbies" bring to Birmingham.
My husband is being transferred to Birmingham to the US Steel facility (Fairfield) in a few months, and, while we'll miss all of our friends and family up here in the Chicago area, we are both excited at the prospect of moving to the South. My husband is a Southerner (born and raised in Pensacola, FL) so I fell in love with the South when I fell in love with him 34 years ago.
We can't wait for this move!
We bring with us to Birmingham great enthusiasm, a willingness to work with others in whatever community we buy a home in, volunteer skills with children and libraries, college educations, and the eagerness we have always felt when embarking upon a new move to another place in this great country.
I can understand how people long for what was "back home" but I have found that if I open my eyes and ears and my heart to what is directly in front of me, I can begin to enjoy the "here and now" of this new adventure.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Well, WELCOME then! We could use more of ya'll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area