Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 27,320 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Birmingham area in the next couple of months. My husband is a former Marine who is now employed in Bham. I am a nurse who is from Lower Alabama, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about Bham. We have a 4 month old daughter and I am now a stay at home mom. We own our home in NC and are looking to rent for awhile before buying a home in AL.
We have heard good things about Leeds and Moody, also Trussville. Any info is much appreciated.

1) My husband will be working in the Crestwood South area, and would like to keep the commute to under 45 mins

2) We need at least 2 bedrooms, prefer a single family home with fenced in yard as we have dogs, and our price range would be under $1200 monthly

3) 1 daughter, 4 months, but will be homeschooled

4) My husband is an avid fisherman, hunter, and gun collector. We both enjoy the outdoors. Being away from the center of a big city is paramount to us. Also, I am looking for a non denominational, contemporary church with a great kids program.

5) My husband needs to be near a VA center, since he was injured in Afghanistan and has some current medical needs. Nothing super fancy, just some knee and blood pressure issues.

6) Our neighbors where we currently live are our best friends. We like having nice neighbors where we could trust them to look after our home when we are gone. We like having our own space as well.

TIA for any and all info.
Roll Tide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedownkeyboardwarrior View Post
My family and I are moving to Birmingham area in the next couple of months. My husband is a former Marine who is now employed in Bham. I am a nurse who is from Lower Alabama, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about Bham. We have a 4 month old daughter and I am now a stay at home mom. We own our home in NC and are looking to rent for awhile before buying a home in AL.
We have heard good things about Leeds and Moody, also Trussville. Any info is much appreciated.

1) My husband will be working in the Crestwood South area, and would like to keep the commute to under 45 mins

Hi, there. Trussville, Leeds, and Moody will all be easy commutes, well under the 45 minute mark. More like 20.

2) We need at least 2 bedrooms, prefer a single family home with fenced in yard as we have dogs, and our price range would be under $1200 monthly

Can't answer the rest of your questions. However, I think there are any number of new home communities in all those cities where you could probably buy a home with a mortgage payment of less than $1200. For example, a $150,000 house on a 30-year mortgage at 4% would mean you're only paying about $716-$740 a month.
Hope that helps

Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 27,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hope that helps
Do you know if those areas are good for young families? As in safe, not too crowded, etc.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedownkeyboardwarrior View Post
Do you know if those areas are good for young families? As in safe, not too crowded, etc.
Trussville is nice. Moody and Leeds are certainly not unsafe with lots of breathing room, but I couldn't tell you much more than that.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 27,208 times
Default Relocating from San Francisco

First off, thanks for your thoughtful post and questions. It is exactly what I've been looking for. It's hard to find info on the soul of a city on the obvious websites and your comments provide insights into the culture, like being called Ma'am. I would have been one who said please don't call me that. I'm not old enough. I won't make that mistake.

We are 39 & 43 yrs old and currently live in the Mission district of San Francisco. We love it. It's very diverse - on every level, lots of independent businesses, range of ethnic foods, progressive, strong artist community, laid back. Most people are between 25-50 in age. It's also very expensive, has a high crime rate, poor schools, scary street people, and just downright dirty. It's always an adventure - good and bad.

1) My husband is interviewing for a job in Birmingham in the Homewood area. I've read that Touscaloosa is "up and coming" so maybe something in the middle? A 30-minute commute is about the max that we could live with. We'd like a community/neighborhood that comes close the positive aspects listed above if possible and is available within a short drive. For example, I'd love a breakfast cafe and neighborhood "downtown" area within a 15 minute drive or walk.

2) That's hard to say at the moment. We were thinking that we'd rent an apartment before we bought anything to make sure we like the area. All in all, I'd say no more than $400k, but that's based on our current experience of not being able to afford anything in SF. Most prices for a decent size home are around $650k+. Some place with land for a small veggie patch would be great. Something historic with unique features.

3) Not yet, but it's on the agenda. A great school system is a must.

4) We love being outdoors and involved in the community. We love movies, plays and live music; food trucks to find dining; and gardening, hiking, biking, and camping. I love to volunteer!

5) Nope.

6) I like the idea of knowing a lot of the community but also being able to go out and not having to put on make up to go to the grocery store because I'm afraid I'll bump 7 people I know.

I'm worried about the crime rate for Birmingham. I'm fearful of trading one big crime area for another. I want to be safe in my neighborhood. I realize that the above list is my ideal based on what I have now and that the Birmingham area has its own unique qualities. So basically, we're open. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfonthemove View Post
First off, thanks for your thoughtful post and questions. It is exactly what I've been looking for. It's hard to find info on the soul of a city on the obvious websites and your comments provide insights into the culture, like being called Ma'am. I would have been one who said please don't call me that. I'm not old enough. I won't make that mistake.

We are 39 & 43 yrs old and currently live in the Mission district of San Francisco. We love it. It's very diverse - on every level, lots of independent businesses, range of ethnic foods, progressive, strong artist community, laid back. Most people are between 25-50 in age. It's also very expensive, has a high crime rate, poor schools, scary street people, and just downright dirty. It's always an adventure - good and bad.

1) My husband is interviewing for a job in Birmingham in the Homewood area. I've read that Touscaloosa is "up and coming" so maybe something in the middle? A 30-minute commute is about the max that we could live with. We'd like a community/neighborhood that comes close the positive aspects listed above if possible and is available within a short drive. For example, I'd love a breakfast cafe and neighborhood "downtown" area within a 15 minute drive or walk.

I would suggest Southside, particularly in the Forest Park area if you are thinking apartment or condo at this point. Lots of walking-friendly parts near grocery stores, restaurants, hangouts whatever. It's right over the mountain from Homewood, which makes for an incredibly easy and scenic commute against the flow of rush-hour traffic. In addition, I would consider some of the newer apartments/condos going up in the downtown Homewood area such as Hallman Hill.

2) That's hard to say at the moment. We were thinking that we'd rent an apartment before we bought anything to make sure we like the area. All in all, I'd say no more than $400k, but that's based on our current experience of not being able to afford anything in SF. Most prices for a decent size home are around $650k+. Some place with land for a small veggie patch would be great. Something historic with unique features.

$650K will buy you an enormous home in Birmingham with a great deal of panache. I'm not kidding you. Actually the same is true for $400K. I'm sure some of the realtors who frequent this forum will be pelting you with business cards shortly.

Just for giggles, I did a quick search on houses in the 400-650K price range. Not bad. http://realtysouth.com/PropertyResul...x&AgoraItems=5

3) Not yet, but it's on the agenda. A great school system is a must.

Here's the conundrum. If you live within the Birmingham school district the schools will be poor. However, there are any number of really good private options. And Altamont is a 7-12 private school that's among the country's best. If you decide to live outside the Birmingham city limits, then I would suggest Mountain Brook, one of the top 50 public school systems in the country. Homewood would be good as well. Vestavia is excellent, but I'm not sure that you will find the lifestyle amenities that you seem to prefer.

4) We love being outdoors and involved in the community. We love movies, plays and live music; food trucks to find dining; and gardening, hiking, biking, and camping. I love to volunteer!

Lots of those opportunities in Birmingham. No, it's not San Francisco (Hell, what is?), but there are any number of cultural opportunities. One of the benefits is that you can actually get tickets to see name acts where in larger markets it might be well-night impossible. When you hit town, pick up a copy of the Black & White or Weld and see what's happening in town. You'll be surprised and gratified by the variety and quality of the attractions you see.

5) Nope.

6) I like the idea of knowing a lot of the community but also being able to go out and not having to put on make up to go to the grocery store because I'm afraid I'll bump 7 people I know.

Southside is probably more your vibe. Mountain Brook tends to be snootier in that regard and less relaxed.

I'm worried about the crime rate for Birmingham. I'm fearful of trading one big crime area for another. I want to be safe in my neighborhood. I realize that the above list is my ideal based on what I have now and that the Birmingham area has its own unique qualities. So basically, we're open. Thanks for your input.
Southside of Birmingham, particularly east of the Red Mountain Expressway is safe. We lived there for 14 years (Moved because we didn't have the scratch to put three kids through private schools) and we'll move right back after the youngest graduates high school. No qualms whatsoever about moving there.

Hope you like it here. We certainly have.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-17-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Quote:
Southside of Birmingham, particularly east of the Red Mountain Expressway is safe. We lived there for 14 years (Moved because we didn't have the scratch to put three kids through private schools) and we'll move right back after the youngest graduates high school. No qualms whatsoever about moving there.

Hope you like it here. We certainly have.
I agree with the comments in the quotations from cpg. There is Epic and Ramsey magnet schools in Bham, but many don't accept that (and even there has a middle school gap). There are good private schools in the area if you accept and can afford that.
The districts that are traditionally thought of as good are Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Homewood, and Hoover (with some others farther away than your requirements). Homewood is pretty much the most walkable, and probably as diverse as it gets in the areas you are looking at (there really is nothing close to the SF Bay Area here). I would say Homewood also likely has the most active "downtownish" feel of the suburbs. Plus you might even get to walk/bike to work! Mountain Brook is the richest part and definitely gets props for the "best" schools district (and has a few nodes of activity as well), with Vestavia usually the next best. Hoover is a bit farther out, if you want to be close to where the activity is in Birmingham, and really has no central downtown.

Forget Tuscaloosa and definitely forget about living in the middle of Homewood and Tuscaloosa if what you want is access to city-amenities. THe only reason to live there is if you want acres of land. There will be no issue with finding a house you want in anyplace in Birmingham with your land requirements. The lots are much bigger here.

Homewood is a small area so you will definitely bump into people you know all the time. I live in Birmingham and that already happens. Actually, that didn't happen infrequently when I lived in SF either.

Don't worry about crime in general. THe crime rate is high, but not in the neighborhoods you are being pointed to on the southern side of the metro area.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
She said good school system is a must. There is Epic and Ramsey magnet schools in Bham, but many don't accept that (and even there has a middle school gap). There are good private schools in the area if you accept and can afford that.
The districts that are traditionally thought of as good are Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, Homewood, and Hoover (with some others farther away than your requirements). Homewood is pretty much the most walkable, and probably as diverse as it gets in the areas you are looking at (there really is nothing close to the SF Bay Area here). I would say Homewood also likely has the most active "downtownish" feel of the suburbs. Plus you might even get to walk/bike to work! Mountain Brook is the richest part and definitely gets props for the "best" schools district (and has a few nodes of activity as well), with Vestavia usually the next best. Hoover is a bit farther out, if you want to be close to where the activity is in Birmingham, and really has no central downtown.

Forget Tuscaloosa and definitely forget about living in the middle of Homewood and Tuscaloosa if what you want is access to city-amenities. THe only reason to live there is if you want acres of land. There will be no issue with finding a house you want in anyplace in Birmingham with your land requirements. The lots are much bigger here.
Yes, I agree with you re: Birmingham schools. However, considering that there is no perfect place in town that seemed to fulfill all her requirements simultaneously, I felt that the Southside/Forest Park fit better. However, your suggestions regarding Homewood are apt.

To the OP. Bluebeard also makes good points. I think the best thing for you to do is come to town, drive around for a few hours and see what areas have the best feel for your needs.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you re: Birmingham schools. However, considering that there is no perfect place in town that seemed to fulfill all her requirements simultaneously, I felt that the Southside/Forest Park fit better. However, your suggestions regarding Homewood are apt.

To the OP. Bluebeard also makes good points. I think the best thing for you to do is come to town, drive around for a few hours and see what areas have the best feel for your needs.
Heh, yeah, I missed your comments in the quotation first. I often just gloss over big quotation blocks.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 27,208 times
Thanks everyone. Great feedback. I have no idea what our salaries will be once we move so $400k may be a pipe dream. You've given me peace of mind. If this online community is any indication, we'll love it in Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area