Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 01:28 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Winn Dixie
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market
Aldi
Piggly Wiggly
Publix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,487 times
Hello All!

I have a job opportunity, and I'd like to hear opinions on a few things.. first off, a little about me. I'm a 30 year old single Puerto Rican little lady, engineer, with two cats and no children to her name. I'd like to live somewhere were I could go out, meet people and do things, since I know nothing and no one in Alabama. I also need to be somewhere safe, because I'll be totally on my own.

1) The opportunity is for Evonik Industries in Birmingham - what I presume from Google Maps to be the northern area of Hoover. I'd like a commute under 20 minutes if at all possible.

2) I'd like to keep my home under 200k-ish. I'm looking forward to maybe getting a cute little bungalow?

3) No kids.. 'scept the cats.

4) I'd like to have some place to walk and exercise, shopping near-by, restaurants and craft beer are my hobbies. I like trying new things!

5) No major medical needs other than a good chiropractor and an endocrinologist.

6) I'd really like it if I could be in a friendly neighborhood, I think that would ease the brazen transition I'd be making.

I grew up in Miami, but I've been living almost 15 years in PR now.. so, thoughts? Is there a Latin community anywhere in particular? Areas I should avoid? Things to think about?

Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Evonik is on Lakeshore, no? It has a Birmingham address but you will "feel" like it is in Homewood.

Homewood specifically Edgewood checks all the boxes and will give you places to walk, jog and plenty of places to eat nearby. Houses there aren't cheap so that amount of money will most likely be something smaller and older than say...

Helena which is going to stretch your 20min commute depending on when you leave but the houses are cheaper and you'll get something newer and larger than you will in Homewood or Vestavia. But it is more for young families than it is for singles and suffers from traffic as it is served by two lane roads.

However Homewood will put you closer to the craft beer scene and the Latin communtiy that tends to live along Valley ave. in Homewood and Lorna rd in Hoover.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
You can also look in Deer Valley and Lake Cyrus in Hoover which are further out from the city and might be a bit boring based on your interests, but are certainly within 20 minutes to Evonik via either Ross Bridge Parkway or the Lakeshore Superspeedway... and have lots of 3 bedroom homes in the sub-200 range.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,846 times
America! i never been there though

Old 02-14-2016, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,835 times
Can anyone offer advice about elementary schools? We're moving to Bham and my son will be starting kinder in the fall. I would prefer a short commute to UAB but want to find the most appropriate school. Kiddo has some special needs (high IQ + anxiety issues) so we're debating public vs private. I haven't seen much about online about "gifted" programs in the Bham schools. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:43 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Epic School in the Birmingham system; otherwise Homewood, great schools and about a five to ten minute commute to UAB. (down the road, Alabama School of Fine Arts , downtown)

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,197 times
Default Neighborhoods

Hi! Have lived all up and down the east coast, and in this area, the right public schools are very good, I'd go public, no need for private. Best schools in birmingham are Mountain Brook, followed by Vestavia and Homewood. I got my Master's in EDU and student taught at Liberty Park Elementary and Mountain Brook Elementary. Both were AMAZING and worth looking at. Liberty Park in Vestavia is going to be a commute (20 min) but great schools, safe, lots of young kids and much bigger house for your $$. Homewood and Mountain Brook are much closer to the city, but price per square foot is insane!!!!! Still, those homes have the historic charm and you can walk to restaurants, coffee shops and the like. Liberty Park is more green/outdoorsy if that makes sense? Lots of lakes, trails, parks, etc. More diversity in Homewood than the others if that's important, and not quite as $$ as Mnt. Brook. Liberty Park is more transient (ppl. from others states - lots of ppl from TX, NC, etc), where Homewood and Mountain Brook are more ppl. that grew up in Bham. Then there's Vestavia East and West, but can't speak to those as I don't know many ppl. there. Feel free to message me if I can be of any help! My family and I (2 kids under 5) love Birmingham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuizYa View Post
Can anyone offer advice about elementary schools? We're moving to Bham and my son will be starting kinder in the fall. I would prefer a short commute to UAB but want to find the most appropriate school. Kiddo has some special needs (high IQ + anxiety issues) so we're debating public vs private. I haven't seen much about online about "gifted" programs in the Bham schools. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammom View Post
Hi! Have lived all up and down the east coast, and in this area, the right public schools are very good, I'd go public, no need for private. Best schools in birmingham are Mountain Brook, followed by Vestavia and Homewood. I got my Master's in EDU and student taught at Liberty Park Elementary and Mountain Brook Elementary. Both were AMAZING and worth looking at. Liberty Park in Vestavia is going to be a commute (20 min) but great schools, safe, lots of young kids and much bigger house for your $$. Homewood and Mountain Brook are much closer to the city, but price per square foot is insane!!!!! Still, those homes have the historic charm and you can walk to restaurants, coffee shops and the like. Liberty Park is more green/outdoorsy if that makes sense? Lots of lakes, trails, parks, etc. More diversity in Homewood than the others if that's important, and not quite as $$ as Mnt. Brook. Liberty Park is more transient (ppl. from others states - lots of ppl from TX, NC, etc), where Homewood and Mountain Brook are more ppl. that grew up in Bham. Then there's Vestavia East and West, but can't speak to those as I don't know many ppl. there. Feel free to message me if I can be of any help! My family and I (2 kids under 5) love Birmingham!
Thank you! I will send you a message!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:32 PM

85 posts, read 122,278 times
Moving to another place is quite difficult job, but with above information, one can get to know a lot about Alabama. The society matters a lot when moving to other place. So its better to research on apartments where you feel secure, moreover it is surrounded by all the basic facilities at just next step of your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area