Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,982 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are looking into moving to Birmingham within the next 3-5 months. We are currently living in Corpus Christi, TX. my husband is an instructor pilot in the Navy and I am an RN. we are 30 and 24 respectively.

1) my husband will be commuting once a week from Meridian, MS and I would hopefully be at UAB medical center. I don't mind a 30 min plus commute, but the shorter the better for me. As far as my husband, he is willing to commute from wherever as long as we are living in an area we love.

2) Our price range would be in the $200k-$400k price range. Of course, the lower the better but we are willing to pay more for updated amenities in a home in a nice area. I have been doing a lot of looking online and really love the Highland Park area with all the parks, old homes, convenience to dining/shopping/younger people. My only concern is the schools. We don't have children yet, but would like to start having kids in the next 5 years or so and I would hate to have to move out of a neighborhood/house we have fallen in love with just for our chidlren's school. Are the Avondale/Woodlawn schools horrible? are there any lower priced private schools in Bham?

4) My husband and I love staying home and having people over, but we also very much enjoy being able to go out to new restaurants ad bars. We are young and without children so we are trying to enjoy that as much as possible right now. We love hiking in the mountains. We also have a lab and try to take him just about everywhere we go that is "dog friendly". He loves walks and parks and any body of water.

5) No special medical needs other than me being an RN and needing to be relatively close to work.

6) I would like to know my neighbors and live in an area where there are other young couples with or without young children, but I don't necessarily need everyone to know my business everywhere I go. It would be nice to not feel judged if I go to the grocery store in my running clothes after a run.

Well thanks so much for any help/advice!

Meagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMooney View Post
Hi!

My husband and I are looking into moving to Birmingham within the next 3-5 months. We are currently living in Corpus Christi, TX. my husband is an instructor pilot in the Navy and I am an RN. we are 30 and 24 respectively.

1) my husband will be commuting once a week from Meridian, MS and I would hopefully be at UAB medical center. I don't mind a 30 min plus commute, but the shorter the better for me. As far as my husband, he is willing to commute from wherever as long as we are living in an area we love.

2) Our price range would be in the $200k-$400k price range. Of course, the lower the better but we are willing to pay more for updated amenities in a home in a nice area. I have been doing a lot of looking online and really love the Highland Park area with all the parks, old homes, convenience to dining/shopping/younger people. My only concern is the schools. We don't have children yet, but would like to start having kids in the next 5 years or so and I would hate to have to move out of a neighborhood/house we have fallen in love with just for our chidlren's school. Are the Avondale/Woodlawn schools horrible? are there any lower priced private schools in Bham?

4) My husband and I love staying home and having people over, but we also very much enjoy being able to go out to new restaurants ad bars. We are young and without children so we are trying to enjoy that as much as possible right now. We love hiking in the mountains. We also have a lab and try to take him just about everywhere we go that is "dog friendly". He loves walks and parks and any body of water.

5) No special medical needs other than me being an RN and needing to be relatively close to work.

6) I would like to know my neighbors and live in an area where there are other young couples with or without young children, but I don't necessarily need everyone to know my business everywhere I go. It would be nice to not feel judged if I go to the grocery store in my running clothes after a run.

Well thanks so much for any help/advice!

Meagan
Hi, Meagan.

To me, I think the critical question is how long before you two have kids? Even if you popped them out this year, it will be 5-6 years before schools become an issue. Wait four more years, and you've likely kicked the can down the road ten years.

If you can live with that, then I would suggest Southside/Forest Park. The houses are affordable, the lifestyle is very cool, and it's incredibly close to work for you. The neighborhoods change from block to block, so commonsense should prevail, but overall it's a really safe place to live. We loved it. Plus in the price range you named, there are a lot of different options, from single-family homes to condos in high rises.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM

68 posts, read 134,122 times
My advice is do not move there. The only thing to do there is go to church and/ or grow crops.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will724 View Post
My advice is do not move there. The only thing to do there is go to church and/ or grow crops.
Actually, as someone who lived all over, this couldn't be further from the truth. There's a lot to do here in terms of music, the arts, you name it. I guess if you're lazy or just like to indulge in stereotypes you might not realize this. Of course, given the rather dull and glassy expression on your photo, I'm sure anything beyond a Shark Week marathon would be too much for you to handle.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 20,962 times
Default Soon to be college graduate

I reside in Mobile, AL & I am a 20 yr. old single female soon to be graduating college student (like a year and a half) from University of South Alabama and I love to be prepared so I have started looking at places to live and move now. I am going to be working in the social work field and from some research I’ve found many job opening there for that field. I’ll be there for my career, but want to be able to call it home while I’m there & who knows, I might not leave.
1) I’m not sure yet. & no more than 20-30 minutes.
2)Not too expensive since I’ll be on my own as a first-time graduate
3) No children
4) I love The Lord so a nice place to worship would be great –actually a necessity (I am nondenominational). I like reading/writing. And I am a musician also. I like fine dining (for an affordable rate). Not really into sports. No hiking. And love relaxing!
5) No special medical needs
6) I would prefer a community neighborhood since that’s what I grew up with. Even now I know the people around my apartments. But MOST IMPORTANTLY I am looking for somewhere SAFE!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw1002 View Post
I reside in Mobile, AL & I am a 20 yr. old single female soon to be graduating college student (like a year and a half) from University of South Alabama and I love to be prepared so I have started looking at places to live and move now. I am going to be working in the social work field and from some research I’ve found many job opening there for that field. I’ll be there for my career, but want to be able to call it home while I’m there & who knows, I might not leave.
1) I’m not sure yet. & no more than 20-30 minutes.
2)Not too expensive since I’ll be on my own as a first-time graduate
3) No children
4) I love The Lord so a nice place to worship would be great –actually a necessity (I am nondenominational). I like reading/writing. And I am a musician also. I like fine dining (for an affordable rate). Not really into sports. No hiking. And love relaxing!
6) I would prefer a community neighborhood since that’s what I grew up with. Even now I know the people around my apartments. But MOST IMPORTANTLY I am looking for somewhere SAFE!!!
Hi. A lot depends on where you'll be working of course. However, almost all of Birmingham is safe. There are isolated pockets of crime, but the same would be true of Mobile. So I think learning more about where you'll start work is important. That'll help us narrow down things for you.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 47,740 times
1) I am a 22yr old male from Indiana and I just accepted an internship with the Alabama Golf Association. It is located near Vestavia and I am looking for a commute no longer than about 20-30 minutes if possible. I have no idea where to begin and am really worried about safety since I will be living alone for 8 months in a complete different area. Any help that you can give me would be excellent. If you could give me any specific apartments to look into that would also be great.

2) I am looking for an apartment 1bed 1 bth for between 500-600 a month

3) I do not have any children

4) In my free time I enjoy anything related to sports. I also want a place where I can walk around town and be safe

6) I do not care if everyone knows each other or not.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster2 View Post
1) I am a 22yr old male from Indiana and I just accepted an internship with the Alabama Golf Association. It is located near Vestavia and I am looking for a commute no longer than about 20-30 minutes if possible. I have no idea where to begin and am really worried about safety since I will be living alone for 8 months in a complete different area. Any help that you can give me would be excellent. If you could give me any specific apartments to look into that would also be great.

2) I am looking for an apartment 1bed 1 bth for between 500-600 a month

3) I do not have any children

4) In my free time I enjoy anything related to sports. I also want a place where I can walk around town and be safe

6) I do not care if everyone knows each other or not.
Single? Southside, preferably east of 20th Street. Only place I'd be if I were 22 and single.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 47,740 times
What apartments do you recommend?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster2 View Post
What apartments do you recommend?
None in particular. Just go online and start scoping it out. Anything generally in the vicinity of Highland Avenue is pretty sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area