Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM

19 posts, read 31,304 times

Advertisements

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

UAB grad student, school of health professions. Wanting under 15 minute commute even in typical rush hour.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?

Under 800 seems to be achievable for a 1 bedroom or large studio.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?

Just cats.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

I may get involved in the Shambala Meditation center east of downtown. Might hike or bike if there was a nearby park. I'm almost 40 so have more in common with older adults than undergrads. I wouldn't mind eating out occasionally but prefer cheap and semi-healthy.

5) Do you have special medical needs?
No, or none that can't be handled by UAB.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?
I say hi to neighbors, that's about it.

Searching for apartments long distance doesn't seem to work when nobody posts square footage or floorplans of their apartments.

Big priority would be quiet at night on all weeknights, and preferably weekend mornings. Reasonably safe for a single female. Not near bars with live music Thurs-Sun.

I think it would be impossible to find someplace 1) within walking distance of UAB, 2) mostly quiet 3) affordable 4) has decent storage 5) allows 2 cats 6) has off-street parking.

So I will give up the idea of walking distance but an easy drive would be much better. If anyone knows of exceptions let me know.

As more amenities for the cats, having a window with a view of birds in trees would be good. Hardwood floors help with cat vomit cleanup. One cat is currently indoor-outdoor. If he's going to be an indoor cat I would need someplace with an additional door besides the door to the apartment because he will try to escape and I need to be able to catch him. Once he reaches a parking lot he hides under cars and won't come out.

I am hoping to move in somewhere between late July and mid-August. I won't have time to come down and look at places until late June/early July. 12 hour drive. Is that too late? Can I find someplace reasonable by searching long distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Southside east of 20th Street.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:05 PM

137 posts, read 454,268 times
Hi! Thanks in advance for any help.

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting? UAB - would like a 20 minute commute time with no sitting on the interstate in traffic.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment? Would like to RENT a 2-3 BR, 1-1/2 to 2 BA home with fenced yard for 2 friendly German Shepherds. Price up to $1,000 a month.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs? Kids are grown and adults.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all? Fishing, RVing, going to visit kids/grandkids.

5) Do you have special medical needs? No.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care? Just a friendly "hello".

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Hi! Thanks in advance for any help.

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting? UAB - would like a 20 minute commute time with no sitting on the interstate in traffic.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment? Would like to RENT a 2-3 BR, 1-1/2 to 2 BA home with fenced yard for 2 friendly German Shepherds. Price up to $1,000 a month.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs? Kids are grown and adults.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all? Fishing, RVing, going to visit kids/grandkids.

5) Do you have special medical needs? No.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care? Just a friendly "hello".

Thanks!

I think Crestwood, would work for you. Homewood is nicer, but would stress that budget.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
Thanks in advance for any help.

My son will be transferring to UAB and I'm looking for apartment recommendations for him. I would like for him not to have more than a 10-15 commute and be able to avoid the high-traffic areas if possible. I would like to keep the rent under $600 and a SAFE neighborhood is a MUST.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:38 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons2112 View Post
Thanks in advance for any help.

My son will be transferring to UAB and I'm looking for apartment recommendations for him. I would like for him not to have more than a 10-15 commute and be able to avoid the high-traffic areas if possible. I would like to keep the rent under $600 and a SAFE neighborhood is a MUST.
A 1 bedroom in a safe area that is close by might be tough to come by under $600. You'd have limitless options for a 2 bedroom @ 1200 or less if that's an option.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,746 times
How do Ya'll feel about Fairfield? My husband may be getting a job in Bham (goes for his interview Thursday) and we seen a few houses online that look nice.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleRoden View Post
How do Ya'll feel about Fairfield? My husband may be getting a job in Bham (goes for his interview Thursday) and we seen a few houses online that look nice.
Avoid. I'd recommend McCalla or Gardendale. Longer drive, but far better schools and amenities.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,746 times
Is that the only down fall is bad schools and better amenities? or is there Alot of crime, or bad neighborhood? I'm from a rather small town (Marshall/Etowah CO) But I was Born in Birmingham. Not really Familiar with it tho. But we are needing something rather cheap to rent. nothing over $700?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleRoden View Post
Is that the only down fall is bad schools and better amenities? or is there Alot of crime, or bad neighborhood? I'm from a rather small town (Marshall/Etowah CO) But I was Born in Birmingham. Not really Familiar with it tho. But we are needing something rather cheap to rent. nothing over $700?
Crime, bad schools and no amenities. I'm betting that you can find something better for that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area