U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2007, 04:55 PM

69 posts, read 180,571 times
Default Crime in Birmingham

I hesitate to start this off with a negative, but I thought some people wanting to move to Birmingham might find this info helpful. I was running some comparative crime stats for different cities in the U.S. and was rather shocked by the results.

Detroit, as most folks know, has had one of the worst crime rates in America for a bunch of years now. I compared Detroit's rates to New York, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. Detroit still has more crime than all those major cities. But when I entered Birmingham for a comparison to Detroit, I couldn't believe it. Birmingham knocked Detroit down from its Crime Throne!! Yes, on several levels, Birmingham is worse than Detroit in some categories - murder, rape, burglary.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 PM

629 posts, read 2,479,219 times
???????????????

Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Default ??????? Yes Bessemer,Whatchutalkinbout?

Take a look at the link. Birmingham has major crime. You can't be THAT uninformed. News to you?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM

5,000 posts, read 10,594,115 times
We do know; it's been discussed in many threads, along with the generally deplorable state of Birmingham city schools. The consensus is to stay away from Birmingham proper unless you like that adventure, and stick with suburbs such as Homewood, Vestavia, Hoover, Trussville, Pell City, Gardendale etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 AM

629 posts, read 2,479,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
Take a look at the link. Birmingham has major crime. You can't be THAT uninformed. News to you?
not news to anyone............common knowledge, were you making a point or just stating the obvious. You could go to any number of state threads and make a similar post.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 AM

5,566 posts, read 7,603,922 times
What are you trying to say? Crime exists. It does so everywhere. For me the positive in Birmingham outhweighs by far the negative. Do I have to be interested in Detroit?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM

763 posts, read 2,499,625 times
I haven't shared with the group here what I do for a living: I have a software company that serves law enforcement agencies.

Two of my clients are the Detroit Police Department and the Birmingham Police Department.

My last trip to Detroit to see their PD was last winter. I stayed at a nice hotel out in Dearborn and have stayed in other nice suburbs of that city on other trips as well. In the hotels I stay in, outside the city, I feel safe and secure and go to restaurants with no fear.

YES, downtown Detroit is indeed a very rough place from a crime standpoint. So are certain parts of Birmingham. This is the same with every major inner city in America. The Memphis PD is also a client and they are overrun with major felonies, murder.rape, aggravated assault, etc. We serve the City of Jacksonville FL and Tulsa OK too, and I have a very up close view of the crime in those areas as well. Tulsa for example is overrun with gangs...over 150 active gangs in that community alone. I know this because our software tracks them.

You really haven't revealed anything revelationary in your stat. It should also be known that Birmingham's suburban areas have almost no violent crime...and some of these suburbs are 5-8 minutes from downtown....so you don't have to drive a long way to find a safe place to live....

Homewood (right over the mountain) had one murder in five years...

Homewood, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Vestavia (also very close to downtown) had NO murders in five years...

Vestavia Hills, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Moutain Brook (right over the mountain) had one murder in five years....

Mountain Brook, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Hoover - Birmingham's largest suburb with 70,000 residents had only 7 murders in five years...

Hoover, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

And we shouldn't forget Trussvile....a longer drive but NO murders in the past five years.

Trussville, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Add up the population of these suburbs and it comes to around 180,000 people.

Nine murders in five years in an area with 180,000 people. I'd call that damn safe....and you have a TON of choices in these five cities....from expensive to extremely affordable and Each has good to excellent schools....

It should also be noted that Birmimgham's population is only 240,000. These suburbs are (in aggregrate) almost as big....

Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Birmingham Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What are you trying to say? Crime exists. It does so everywhere. For me the positive in Birmingham outhweighs by far the negative. Do I have to be interested in Detroit?
Yes, of course crime exists everywhere. I was, frankly, surprised to learn that there was a higher percentage of murders in Birmingham than the former murder capitol of the U.S. That's the only reason I referenced Detroit.

Let me start over: Birmingham is wonderful; there is nothing wrong with Birmingham; Birmingham is the perfect town; Birmingham can do no wrong; three cheers for Birmingham!!! -- Now take that!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 AM

430 posts, read 939,647 times
Simple assault is common everywhere. -most assault IS simple assault, yet unlike with simple larceny, it is not part of the F.B.I uniform crime statistics. Also, the national crime victimization survey shows that the difference in violent crime rates between rural and urban areas, while still large, is not as big as one might expect, -crime is a lot less likely to be reported to the police in rural areas. And many depressed small towns over 5,000 population in the south and west, -even parts of the Midwest- actualy have high crime rates, but they are not included in lists that only include larger cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
I haven't shared with the group here what I do for a living: I have a software company that serves law enforcement agencies.

Two of my clients are the Detroit Police Department and the Birmingham Police Department.

My last trip to Detroit to see their PD was last winter. I stayed at a nice hotel out in Dearborn and have stayed in other nice suburbs of that city on other trips as well. In the hotels I stay in, outside the city, I feel safe and secure and go to restaurants with no fear.

YES, downtown Detroit is indeed a very rough place from a crime standpoint. So are certain parts of Birmingham. This is the same with every major inner city in America. The Memphis PD is also a client and they are overrun with major felonies, murder.rape, aggravated assault, etc. We serve the City of Jacksonville FL and Tulsa OK too, and I have a very up close view of the crime in those areas as well. Tulsa for example is overrun with gangs...over 150 active gangs in that community alone. I know this because our software tracks them.

You really haven't revealed anything revelationary in your stat. It should also be known that Birmingham's suburban areas have almost no violent crime...and some of these suburbs are 5-8 minutes from downtown....so you don't have to drive a long way to find a safe place to live....

Homewood (right over the mountain) had one murder in five years...

Homewood, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Vestavia (also very close to downtown) had NO murders in five years...

Vestavia Hills, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Moutain Brook (right over the mountain) had one murder in five years....

Mountain Brook, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Hoover - Birmingham's largest suburb with 70,000 residents had only 7 murders in five years...

Hoover, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

And we shouldn't forget Trussvile....a longer drive but NO murders in the past five years.

Trussville, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Add up the population of these suburbs and it comes to around 180,000 people.

Nine murders in five years in an area with 180,000 people. I'd call that damn safe....and you have a TON of choices in these five cities....from expensive to extremely affordable and Each has good to excellent schools....

It should also be noted that Birmimgham's population is only 240,000. These suburbs are (in aggregrate) almost as big....

Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 PM

763 posts, read 2,499,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
Simple assault is common everywhere. -most assault IS simple assault, yet unlike with simple larceny, it is not part of the F.B.I uniform crime statistics. Also, the national crime victimization survey shows that the difference in violent crime rates between rural and urban areas, while still large, is not as big as one might expect, -crime is a lot less likely to be reported to the police in rural areas. And many depressed small towns over 5,000 population in the south and west, -even parts of the Midwest- actualy have high crime rates, but they are not included in lists that only include larger cities.
You've missed my point completely. These are not rural areas, they are urban. Perhaps you are not familiar with the Birmingham metro area??? And this post is not about the analysis of differences on crime in urban areas vs. rural. Its about the perception of crime in "Birmingham".

Remember, that 80% of the population of the metro area called "Birmingham" does not live in Birmingham, Alabama. 20% lives in Birmingham, Alabama and 80% live in 30 other incorporated cities and towns as well as unincorporated areas of the five counties in the SMSA.

Take Homewood and Moutain Brook specifically. They share a common border with the city of Birmingham. You can have one foot in Birmingham and the other in Homewood....

Then, look at the differences in violent crime - rapes, homicides. One community (Birmingham) has a high rate while communities that literally border it - have virtually none.

Hoover is sprawling....it covers 43 square miles in Jefferson and Shelby Counties. Is growing extremely fast....yet has an extremely low violent crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area