Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Classic. The study quoted is actually an article, and the reference to the study is only an abstract. It's very typical of people to believe the abstract, not realizing that the study conclusions are sometimes quite different than the summary. Also, note the study was in Wash state. The findings there, may not be entirely transferable to other states.

California has two allowed exemptions: medical & personal beliefs/philosophical
Washing has 3: medical, religious, & personal beliefs/philosophical
Alabama has 2: medical & religious
Source: State Vaccine Requirements

The further I look, Washington is quite different. See here for the details on Washington's exemption laws: 2011 School and Child Care Immunization Exemption Law FAQ :: Washington State Dept. of Health
The quotes were in response to your assertion that numerous pediatricians do not vaccinate their own children. I suspect that the pediatricians in the article are typical of the pediatricians in this country. California? Who knows?!

Had you desired to, you could have followed the link in the Medscape Today article to the full article in Pediatrics. To make it easier for you, here it is:

Washington State Pediatricians' Attitudes Toward Alternative Childhood Immunization Schedules

"Despite reported comfort in using an ACIS [alternative childhood immunization schedule] if requested by a parent, respondents were overwhelmingly supportive of immunizations and their current schedule. Only 4% of pediatricians indicated that they would offer an ACIS for a child in the absence of a parental request, and nearly all pediatricians (96%) would follow the recommended immunization schedule for their child if they were to become a new parent in 2010. Only 8% of responding pediatricians agreed with the statement that too many immunizations are given at 1 visit, and only 6% agreed with the statement that there are too many immunizations overall."

So these doctors are not enthusiastically endorsing alternative schedules, they do not use them for their own children, and they do them under pressure from parents.

The hazard of not using the recommended schedule is that many kids never get all the vaccines.

The study discussed here is available only as an abstract without a subscription. Perhaps you have access to it:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/765856

This is over four years old but still pertinent:

The Problem With Dr Bob's Alternative Vaccine Schedule

Alternative vaccine schedules are not supported by any scientific evidence, there is no reason for them, and they increase the risk of vaccine preventable illness.

I particularly liked this bit of advice from Dr. Sears, addressed in Dr. Offit's review:

"Hide in the Herd

Perhaps the most disingenuous comment in the book is directed at parents who are afraid of the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine. 'I also warn [parents] not to share their fears with their neighbors,' writes Sears, 'because if too many people avoid the MMR, we'll likely see the diseases increase significantly.' In other words, hide in the herd, but do not tell the herd you're hiding; otherwise, outbreaks will ensue. Sears' advice was prescient. Recent outbreaks of measles in 15 states, caused by an erosion of herd immunity in communities where parents had chosen not to vaccinate their children, were the largest in the United States since 1996."

Maybe you know thousands of pediatricians who do not vaccinate their own children and who enthusiastically endorse alternative schedules. Perhaps some like the additional office visits the spread out schedule would engender. Perhaps you can explain your apparent endorsement of such schedules and the evidence to support your belief in them.

I know that the pediatricians that cared for my children are dismayed that parents decline vaccines, they work hard to get kids vaccinated, and they dismiss families from the practice who totally refuse vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedriskell
Either way, you ultimately get to decide... so, you can always say no. I wish I could suggest specific doctors, but either way, you don't have to accept the vaccinations.
No you dont and you shouldnt!!!!

You could be compromising your babies natural immune system which may leave them open to other things later in life THEY MIGHT NOT GET OTHERWISE!!! (Auto immune diseases,etc)

Please be careful!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You could be compromising your babies natural immune system which may leave them open to other things later in life THEY MIGHT NOT GET OTHERWISE!!! (Auto immune diseases,etc)
Do you have any evidence to support your statement? Hint: there is none.

An unvaccinated child is many times more likely to get sick, have permanent disability, or die from a disease that is prevented by vaccines than from a complication of a vaccine.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Unvaccinated babies are much healthier than those who are!

www.whale.to/a/children1.html

Vaccinated Children Have Up to 500% More Disease Than Unvaccinated Children

http://www.naturalnews.com/036220_va...allergies.html

Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Unvaccinated babies are much healthier than those who are!

Unvaccinated children healthier

Vaccinated Children Have Up to 500% More Disease Than Unvaccinated Children

Vaccinated children have up to 500% more disease than unvaccinated children
What did the German KiGGS study actually show?

Vaccination Status and Health in Children and Adolescents

"The lifetime prevalence of diseases preventable by vaccination was markedly higher in unvaccinated than in vaccinated subjects."

"Conclusion

The prevalence of allergic diseases and non-specific infections in children and adolescents was not found to depend on vaccination status."

10 Vaccine Myths — Busted - Parenting.com

Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The quotes were in response to your assertion that numerous pediatricians do not vaccinate their own children. I suspect that the pediatricians in the article are typical of the pediatricians in this country. California? Who knows?!

Had you desired to, you could have followed the link in the Medscape Today article to the full article in Pediatrics. To make it easier for you, here it is:

Washington State Pediatricians' Attitudes Toward Alternative Childhood Immunization Schedules

Maybe you know thousands of pediatricians who do not vaccinate their own children and who enthusiastically endorse alternative schedules. Perhaps some like the additional office visits the spread out schedule would engender. Perhaps you can explain your apparent endorsement of such schedules and the evidence to support your belief in them.

I know that the pediatricians that cared for my children are dismayed that parents decline vaccines, they work hard to get kids vaccinated, and they dismiss families from the practice who totally refuse vaccines.
Thank you for the link as I did have time to search for it.

I never claimed to know thousands of physicians, including pediatricians or mid-level practitioners "who do not vaccinate their own children and who enthusiastically endorse alternative schedules." I never shared my personal belief, only my professional experience that conflicts what you are saying. I'm actually still working and don't have a need (or the time) to prove my expertise online.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Thank you for the link as I did have time to search for it.

I never claimed to know thousands of physicians, including pediatricians or mid-level practitioners "who do not vaccinate their own children and who enthusiastically endorse alternative schedules." I never shared my personal belief, only my professional experience that conflicts what you are saying. I'm actually still working and don't have a need (or the time) to prove my expertise online.

Do you really think California pediatricians are that different from Washington State pediatricians?

Your claim is pretty much that you are an RN who does something administrative with vaccines, your brother is a doctor, and you know some pediatricians who do not vaccinate their children. Well, how many pediatricians is that? Five, fifteen, fifty? What percentage of the total number of pediatricians in California do you personally know?

Are you vaccinated? If you have children, are they vaccinated? Do you personally feel there is scientific evidence to support alternative vaccine schedules?

Your posts imply that a significant number of California pediatricians do not endorse the recommended vaccine schedule. If you are going to say that, be prepared to be asked for some documentation.

By and large, pediatricians that acquiesce to alternative vaccine schedules do so because badly informed patients pressure them to do it, not because they think the alternative schedules are better.

The irony of it is that we know the recommended schedule is safe. No one has shown that delaying vaccines will be safe. Now we will probably waste millions of dollars studying alternative schedules, only to find that undervaccinated kids get diseases that could have been prevented if they had been vaccinated by the proven schedule.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
It is so sickening to see people attack you just because you would rather not risk your child's life by injecting them with dangerous compounds. Just Google search for doctors and ignore the people on this site that criticize your beliefs.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfinnegan1 View Post
It is so sickening to see people attack you just because you would rather not risk your child's life by injecting them with dangerous compounds. Just Google search for doctors and ignore the people on this site that criticize your beliefs.
A disagreement is not an attack. (one of the ever growing problems and misconceptions in our society)

To ignore others' ideas to maintain a conviction to your own beliefs is a great way to simply be ignorant. Since the beginning of time considering others' ideas has helped us reach better conclusions. Perhaps your suggestion is the reason we seem to be at an impasse in accomplishing anything anymore.

btw: this is a relatively old thread and most likely your message is lost to its purpose. Always note the date when posting for the first time. People will appreciate that.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfinnegan1 View Post
it is also sickening to see how many people believe that vaccines are a net negative to their child.

if you really think vaccines are dangerous, let me introdoce you to my friends tuberculosis, measles, and pertussis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area