Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,156 times

Advertisements

I wasn't really disappointed by this cancellation of plans either. I felt as if something had to give somewhere. I'm really hoping that all of these new construction projects will leave room for the historic renovations. I would not want to lose the renovation on TJ Tower or Pizitz.

I'm thinking that someone might want to start considering some construction that's a little less expensive. From the report that I read, David Oakley is suggesting that these rents are going to be around $2.00 per square foot. If the average new one bedroom apartment is 700 sq ft, that's going to put rents starting around $1400.00. YIKES! Although I think there's plenty of room in the market for this, I also think they some lower end options should be considered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Another note: Why do we keep using all of this red brick on things in Birmingham???

I'm hoping we'll start to get away from that and start seeing more glass/modern looking structures.

I drove past the VA development today and saw the rendering on the sign. It looked like all brick. Still excited about the project though.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
UAB and Southside are all about the red brick. I was under the impression Parkside would look very different.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
Another note: Why do we keep using all of this red brick on things in Birmingham???

I'm hoping we'll start to get away from that and start seeing more glass/modern looking structures.

I drove past the VA development today and saw the rendering on the sign. It looked like all brick. Still excited about the project though.
I'm not a fan of glass towers. What we think looks modern tends to look dated in a hurry. And glass towers tend to be just boxes.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Building apartments and restaurants and parks is all well and good, but Birmingham really needs to land a big job creator to truly get the city moving forward. New jobs bring in new money. Apartments in the city core really just reshuffle the wealth from somewhere else in the area.

It would be cool if Birmingham could become the green city of the south. A vertical farm. A Tesla plant (This could actually make sense? To my knowledge their only facility is in California; That's a long way for buyers in the south and east coast to have their cars made.) A solar power company headquartered here, etc, etc...

Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Building apartments and restaurants and parks is all well and good, but Birmingham really needs to land a big job creator to truly get the city moving forward. New jobs bring in new money. Apartments in the city core really just reshuffle the wealth from somewhere else in the area.

It would be cool if Birmingham could become the green city of the south. A vertical farm. A Tesla plant (This could actually make sense? To my knowledge their only facility is in California; That's a long way for buyers in the south and east coast to have their cars made.) A solar power company headquartered here, etc, etc...
As for Tesla, I suppose given the difference in labor costs, perhaps its possible. But I doubt it, the plant they are working in is from a previous multi-car company collaboration an is still largely filled with unused capacity. And if you see the number of Tesla drivers in Cali vs here... that's where the market is. Shipping across the US isn't really that uncommon for most car companies.

But the main points are taken: increasing work opportunities would be great, and a lot of opportunities in this "green energy" industry could be possible.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Aerospace and Biotech research I think should be our focus. I think we have auto assembly covered. Although I would welcome a any automaker that would want to build a plant here, I do not think too highly of Tesla and would rather see a more conventional automaker. Perhaps one that doesn't have a US presence yet, like say Jag/Land Rover. Or just more suppliers for the makers we have now.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm not a fan of glass towers. What we think looks modern tends to look dated in a hurry. And glass towers tend to be just boxes.
I am a fan of glass towers... Mostly because they don't look dated as easily. I understand what you're saying... That what we think looks modern tends to change quite frequently. However, I tend to find this with "modern brick" structures more than anything. In comparison, if you look at most of UAB, their stuff looks dated. The new buildings that they are working on or have been built in the last few years??? I imagine they will look dated in 10 years as well. Then if you look at Regions-Harbert, also built in the same time frame as UAB, it still looks pretty modern. You can tell it isn't brand new, but it doesn't look near as dated as UAB's buildings.

I just think that starting to build either a more classic look or uber modern would be the way to go.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a 2nd phase of University Flats is moving forward

University Flats' second phase will add 57 apartments - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
I am a fan of glass towers... Mostly because they don't look dated as easily. I understand what you're saying... That what we think looks modern tends to change quite frequently. However, I tend to find this with "modern brick" structures more than anything. In comparison, if you look at most of UAB, their stuff looks dated. The new buildings that they are working on or have been built in the last few years??? I imagine they will look dated in 10 years as well. Then if you look at Regions-Harbert, also built in the same time frame as UAB, it still looks pretty modern. You can tell it isn't brand new, but it doesn't look near as dated as UAB's buildings.

I just think that starting to build either a more classic look or uber modern would be the way to go.
I get what you are saying, I think if a new tower were built it would not hurt if it had a very modern look, or even some smaller project.

But then I think of how that pedestrian bridge was supposed to look (if it is still going forward) it was so modernistic it stuck out. I think designs like that tend to wear out faster. Plus the rest of downtown really needs to be lit up and look more lively so that if we did get a "Duke Power" style tower or building (I think that's the one that is lit in blue at night), it wouldn't look like something out of Tron or Star Trek just suddenly materialized in the middle of a dark downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area