Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Brands unveiled for Parkside Hilton project - Birmingham Business Journal

Hmmm, not quite the signature product I had hoped for with 5 stories but still a great boost to the area. Those two brands will complement the people wanting to stay near the hospital quite well.
A parking lot?????? Ugh. The design looks very suburban to me. I'm hoping the Design Review Committee will require some changes to the design including pushing the building to the front of the street. Buildings to the back of the lot are the reason why suburbs aren't very engaging for pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
A parking lot?????? Ugh. The design looks very suburban to me.
Yes, I immediately thought of one on 150 that looks almost exactly like that. Too bad they couldn't design one over a partially underground deck and push the design higher. Must be a combination of cheap land that is still not quite at a ridiculous premium to force that type of design, or the line someone mentioned about fire/property insurance jumping up considerably once you go over five stories or so.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Although it was mentioned that Alabama Power was seeking it out, it appears the city has agreed to allow Alabama Power to take over part of Powell Avenue to use for green space. This is big as it will really help connect the Rotary Trail with Railroad Park. It's really nice to see this link Park Side with the BBVA building, Station 121, Bristol Southside, and the new Midtown 20 Publix Project.

City to vacate portion of Powell Avenue for redevelopment project - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 05-13-2015, 11:00 AM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
Disappointed on the dual brand. I'm thrilled they want to develop and of course would rather it be built that not, but that design is pedestrian. Really missed an opportunity to make a statement. I think deep down we all knew it would end up looking exactly like the rendering and of course there's an economic reason behind that design. Still think they could've established themselves better in Parkside if they'd up the ante on the design.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
The parking lot does look very suburban which is disappointing, but the scale of the project is about what I expected. I think the extended stay will be a good option for people visiting relatives in long hospital stays. I don't know of any similar concepts around the medical district that are currently operating.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, I immediately thought of one on 150 that looks almost exactly like that. Too bad they couldn't design one over a partially underground deck and push the design higher. Must be a combination of cheap land that is still not quite at a ridiculous premium to force that type of design, or the line someone mentioned about fire/property insurance jumping up considerably once you go over five stories or so.
I would like to see the design go a little higher also... But not really much higher. I actually kind of like the mid-rise appeal of Parkside. I think it can stay more attractive that way. I would like to see the high-rise development move over more towards the other side of 20th Street South. I think the skyline would look more appealing that way. I think Parkside will end up looking very engaging from I-65 south. I'm hoping that cement plant will go away at some point. I think that's what it is???? You can see it with all the trucks around it while traveling on the freeway.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:03 PM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
The articles that I read states, that these are conceptual plans, and they will need to go back to the Design Review for final plans. I am sure that parking lot won't last. With that said, a parking deck under the hotel may be in the works.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:20 PM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
http://dtraleigh.com/images/hotels/h...1tn.jpg?22a446

I like this design, in Raleigh, NC,100 times better!

Old 05-13-2015, 12:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I would like to see the design go a little higher also... But not really much higher. I actually kind of like the mid-rise appeal of Parkside. I think it can stay more attractive that way. I would like to see the high-rise development move over more towards the other side of 20th Street South. I think the skyline would look more appealing that way. I think Parkside will end up looking very engaging from I-65 south. I'm hoping that cement plant will go away at some point. I think that's what it is???? You can see it with all the trucks around it while traveling on the freeway.
Yeah, now that I think about it, you are right, it really wouldn't do to box in the baseball field and obscure it. Children's should probably remain the tallest structure in the immediate area. But hopefully they will be forced to come up with a more urban design. As hard a time as they gave Chik-fil-A over a drive through, this should be something they would jump all over.

The cement plant is a funny, odd relic. It is an eyesore, yes - but I'd feel bad running off a business that has been downtown for so long.

Last edited by Tourian; 05-13-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 12:26 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
At least the front (2nd Avenue) of the hotel has been designed to the sidewalk for a proper urban impact, possibly including cafes and such. Also, the Seventeenth Street end of the building will actually have an elevation of almost seven stories for those who were hoping for more height.

These were rough schematics. I recall how really bad the first were from LIV at Parkside. I did not expect this much frankly, after looking at other hotel properties around the Medical District, which this is to serve.
Since no one has mentioned it, I am wondering if anyone remembers that the city has given UAB permission to plan a promenade along Seventeenth to connect Parkside to the Russell Children's Campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area