Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 11:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
How can you say the program is in good shape?
I quoted an article that said as much. Did you miss it?

Birmingham wants to build them an indoor practice facility.

Birmingham wants to build a multi purpose facility and perhaps allow UAB to use it for home games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:49 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I quoted an article that said as much. Did you miss it?

Birmingham wants to build them an indoor practice facility.

Birmingham wants to build a multi purpose facility and perhaps allow UAB to use it for home games.
Quoting an article is great and everything, but not if the article was written with green and gold glasses. I gave you facts that whether you look at the program in terms of wins and losses or money (more important), the program has thus far failed.

As for a practice facility and new field, Birmingham may want to do all these things, but they have had years to do it and haven't. At some point you do have to stop the bleeding or make a big investment.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quoting an article is great and everything, but not if the article was written with green and gold glasses. I gave you facts that whether you look at the program in terms of wins and losses or money (more important), the program has thus far failed.
Lol, "facts?"

Let me remind you of what you "gave" me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein
nobody goes to the games. nobody follows the team. the product on the field is consistently poor. the facilities are lacking, and it is a money pit.
To which I respond to with attendance figures for this year, their current record, and the movement to improve their facilities through OUTSIDE investment. These are real facts in direct contradiction to your baseless comment above.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:

As for a practice facility and new field, Birmingham may want to do all these things, but they have had years to do it and haven't. At some point you do have to stop the bleeding or make a big investment.
Sorry. At last count, only 22 Division I college football teams either made money or broke even last year. If we use that criterion, the NCAA would have fewer teams than the NFL.

I'm not a UAB fan per se, but the program seems to be getting some traction under the new coach. Despite inheriting a shambles of a program, the current coach will likely turn in a winning season this year, and build on it from there. My theory is that Paul Bryant Jr., et al, think this is their best opportunity to snuff it out.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the fate of the UAB football team should rest in the hands of the UAB leadership, not the University of Alabama system. In truth, while UAB has half the number of students at UofA, they generate much, much more cash, making them the tail that wags the dog. So if they want the program, so be it.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-07-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry. At last count, only 22 Division I college football teams either made money or broke even last year. If we use that criterion, the NCAA would have fewer teams than the NFL.

I'm not a UAB fan per se, but the program seems to be getting some traction under the new coach. Despite inheriting a shambles of a program, the current coach will likely turn in a winning season this year, and build on it from there. My theory is that Paul Bryant Jr., et al, think this is their best opportunity to snuff it out.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the fate of the UAB football team should rest in the hands of the UAB leadership, not the University of Alabama system. In truth, while UAB has half the number of students at UofA, they generate much, much more cash, making them the tail that wags the dog. So if they want the program, so be it.

Very well said.

I don't understand the negative rant over UAB football. Especially in light of the announcement that was just made last week about the formation of the UAB Football Foundation.

I am honored to know the man who started this foundation and I can say that he has never been associated with any sort of failure in his life.

To those so negative, I would say, because it has not reached a certain goal till this date does not mean that it is wrong to aspire to the goal. That level of negativity would stop most efforts in their tracks. The reason the city is entertaining discussion as to its role in UAB football's future is obviously because the city itself is just beginning, under new leadership, to realize it has a future of growth and accomplishment ahead of it. The city is awakening and can now have vision again. To say I am irritated by those that want to blind that vision is an understatement. Mayor Bell has been talking about UAB athletics for over a year now.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM

302 posts, read 335,789 times
It's good that this story is getting traction. The UA Board of Trustees has been hostile to UAB for quite some time. Especially in athletics but in a lesser sense, academics as well.

I't important to note that if football is shutdown, the basketball program (and many other sports) will take a severe hit as well. C-USA is a conference that requires football. Without it, UAB will be kicked out and forced to find a new home in a lowly conference.

If you'd like to see UAB and its athletics program thrive, be sure to contact local and university officials to express support. President Watts and AD Mackin need to hear from the community, not to mention those in government.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
http://m.bizjournals.com/birmingham/...all-in-the.htm

I am so happy that we have the mayora support, on UAB keeping their football team. Of course, the final say isn't up to him, but a new stadium could use his backing, perhaps. I think Bill Clark has done a great job with the team this year, and I am optimistic that things will only improve for the team. I am for UAB being away from the UA system. Smh

Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamguy View Post
http://m.bizjournals.com/birmingham/...all-in-the.htm

I am so happy that we have the mayora support, on UAB keeping their football team. Of course, the final say isn't up to him, but a new stadium could use his backing, perhaps. I think Bill Clark has done a great job with the team this year, and I am optimistic that things will only improve for the team. I am for UAB being away from the UA system. Smh
I'm pretty sure that the City of Birmingham has all kinds of leverage it can inflict -- I mean use -- on the UofA system. The City has been an enthusiastic partner with UAB over the years, and the results show.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Having a strong Blazer fanbase with a 30-40k fan attendance each game, along with a new place to play would go a long way to bringing back the title of "Football Capital of the South."

Hundreds of Millions of Fans Tune to Record-Setting College Football Coverage across ESPN Networks « ESPN MediaZone

Quote:
Birmingham Leads All Markets for 13th Straight Year with Highest-Rated Season Ever
The top four most-viewed metered markets for ESPN’s game telecasts in 2013 were the same as in 2012 with Birmingham securing its first place finish for a 13th consecutive season. The Alabama city averaged a 9.2 rating, the highest ever for the market. Greenville was second with a 4.9 rating followed by Knoxville (4.4) and New Orleans (4.3).
I mean, look at that. We watch more then anywhere. Imagine all the sports grille/bars and fandom stores that could profit off that if suddenly there was a clean/inviting/safe place downtown for an SEC kickoff game and the Blazers to play at home. That's money on the table just laying there ready to be scooped up.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Check your facts. Perhaps 22 athletic programs made money, but far more than 22 football programs made money. UAB was not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area