Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times

Advertisements

Good to know Mountain Brook Elementary hasn't changed. I went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM

178 posts, read 370,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsj2013 View Post
We moved to Alabaster 2 years ago from out of state for my husband's job. He is Hispanic and I am white. Our bi-racial children favor him in the complexion department, but are as All-American as they come. Unfortunately, they have had a miserable time here in Alabaster being accepted by their classmates and our oldest son (age 10) is tormented on a daily basis- told he isn't American, that his birth certificate is fake, is ugly, has a flat face, etc.... My husband also receives negative comments almost every time he is out and about in the area, in addition to being pulled over by the cops regularly for no other reason other than to present his birth certificate proving he is a legal (born in the US) citizen. The school system here in Alabaster is not nearly as good as the one we came from, and although we have met some nice people we are in need of a change. We know the schools in Mountain Brook are supposed to be the best in the area, and feel that our kids (3 of which are in the gifted program) would benefit. Would a bi-racial couple such as us fit in? Would our brown children be tormented as much there as they are here in Alabaster? Would my husband be harassed incessantly by the police just because of his skin color? Finances aren't an issue, we wouldn't be the richest but we can afford it. Brutal honesty and help please. Thanks!
I wonder what you are running from. Is it your acceptance in the community or your children being bullied ?
Acceptance in a community is a very dicey thing, IMHO. You can keep changing from one to the other and still not find acceptance. But why do you care ? What if Mountain Brook does not turn out to be your dream land. Where next ? Same thing with your children situation. Instead of just running away from a situation, wouldn't it be great to teach them to develop a thick skin towards instances that are going to happen ALL through their life?
For example, say if they were obese, would you just find a school which had obese kids ? May be a school which is more 'tolerant' ? But the fact is someone is gonna bully at some point of time or the other. This is a fact, they are brown and the end of the day, ALL through their life, they are always going to be treated as outsiders are. I am an Asian myself and I can see it. It is unfortunate that the Americans who think they indeed are Americans, are just Europeans who migrated. Even the native Americans were brown ! How about teaching a little bit of history to your kid and show him how to deal with things and to dust it off his shoulders the next time someone bullies him.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 16,342 times
@happybuddha-
Thanks for your input. I don't know you and you don't know me, but by reading your response I can only assume that you are not a parent. We are not looking for a dream land, just for a better education system. Despite intervention at home, I have seen that our children are rapidly falling behind academically since leaving our previous school system and state (not by choice, but for work). We took up what we knew would likely be a temporary residence in Alabaster as we are renting and wanted to become acclimated to the area, as well as it was fairly close to his office which is in a nearby community. He has since been promoted, his office location is changing, and we are able to move (at the company's expense) to anywhere in central Alabama. As I have long since removed my rose colored glasses, I know that fitting in could/will be potentially difficult anywhere, we are simply hoping for better education for the kiddos. You sound happybuddha that you are not very happy here either (while you might have that tough skin you speak of), what keeps you here? We are here for work, but would go back to our home state if we had the opportunity...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM

178 posts, read 370,587 times
Quote:
You sound happybuddha that you are not very happy here either (while you might have that tough skin you speak of), what keeps you here? We are here for work, but would go back to our home state if we had the opportunity...
Ain't your crystal ball tuned the wrong way round, aye If you can come to such a conclusion just by reading a few lines I wrote, I can only see how far one can go with prejudice and an attitude of jumping to conclusions.
I am very happy, thank you, and wish the same for everyone. Many people I personally know, actually beat themselves that they cant be as happy as me.
Since you are so interested in what keeps me here, my reason is as good as yours.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,019 times
Quote:
We moved to Alabaster 2 years ago from out of state for my husband's job. He is Hispanic and I am white. Our bi-racial children favor him in the complexion department, but are as All-American as they come. Unfortunately, they have had a miserable time here in Alabaster being accepted by their classmates and our oldest son (age 10) is tormented on a daily basis- told he isn't American, that his birth certificate is fake, is ugly, has a flat face, etc.... My husband also receives negative comments almost every time he is out and about in the area, in addition to being pulled over by the cops regularly for no other reason other than to present his birth certificate proving he is a legal (born in the US) citizen. The school system here in Alabaster is not nearly as good as the one we came from, and although we have met some nice people we are in need of a change. We know the schools in Mountain Brook are supposed to be the best in the area, and feel that our kids (3 of which are in the gifted program) would benefit. Would a bi-racial couple such as us fit in? Would our brown children be tormented as much there as they are here in Alabaster? Would my husband be harassed incessantly by the police just because of his skin color? Finances aren't an issue, we wouldn't be the richest but we can afford it. Brutal honesty and help please. Thanks!
Rule of thumb: If you can afford to live in Mountain Brook you will fit in, lol.

Alabaster in my mind is still kinda......you know......what's that r-word I'm looking for.....rural.
Rural areas can be pretty mentally behind.

Your husband just needs to get used to getting pulled over and document all instances for a lawsuit.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 PM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
Her husband might need tinted windows. I'd also ignore the guy telling you to tell your kids to "suck it up and get thick skin". He doesn't have to put up with that level of racism/prejudice on a daily basis because there are more diverse and accepting places. Only a real Alabama homer would tell someone to stick around to endure racism.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Miv

156 posts, read 351,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Her husband might need tinted windows. I'd also ignore the guy telling you to tell your kids to "suck it up and get thick skin". He doesn't have to put up with that level of racism/prejudice on a daily basis because there are more diverse and accepting places. Only a real Alabama homer would tell someone to stick around to endure racism.
1. I got a ticket for driving through Moutain Brook with illegal tint.

2. Yes, her kids do need to suck it up. Nobody is gonna dry their tears in 2013 because they are getting picked on by redneck spawn for being brown skinned.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM

178 posts, read 334,575 times
I'll suspect (and hope) that the OP took the constructive advice offered in the thread and has long since departed to act on it.

The middle-aged adolescents who chose to attack her concern for her children are not representatives of most Alabamians and they are to be shunned at every opportunity.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,250 times
The city of Birmingham is rapidly becoming Detroit South but the suburbs you mentioned are above it
Figuratively and literally
Jefferson County is diverse enough where a dark tinted skin shouldnt be a problem anywhere
As a native of Alabama I wish I xould argue that places like Alabaster (think of the name) dont exist
they do and not just in the South

Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdisplaced View Post
The city of Birmingham is rapidly becoming Detroit South but the suburbs you mentioned are above it
Figuratively and literally
Jefferson County is diverse enough where a dark tinted skin shouldnt be a problem anywhere
As a native of Alabama I wish I xould argue that places like Alabaster (think of the name) dont exist
they do and not just in the South
Excuse me, but have you been in the downtown area lately? New construction, a baseball field, restaurants, new offices, office buildings that are over 90% occupied and lofts that are 98% occupied. Jeez, I wish guys like you would actually investigate matters before saying nonsense like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area