Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,985 times

Advertisements

Driving from Birmingham to Charlotte makes one realize how much all the spaces in between are filling for this Piedmont megalopolis. South Carolina needs to six lane I-85 to bring it up to par with the rest of the route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 AM

842 posts, read 826,417 times
I'm offended that it's called the Piedmont Megalopolis when we're not on the Piedmont. #RidgeAndValleyMatters #CumberlandPlateauMatters

Old 05-20-2016, 09:12 AM

This is a great opportunity for you to learn something today, which to my knowledge seldom seems to happen on this forum.

Birmingham is quite unique to the fact that the Cumberland plateau meets the Piedmont plateau at the crest of Double Oak Mountain, well within the metro area. And yes, the border does run southwest to northeast parallel to the ridge and valley angle.

Popular knowledge is often misleading, so it is understandable you might not know this, being offended seems a little strange. Anyway, now you don't have to be offended, but if you want you can easily google the study about the megalopolis projections.

(being north of Birmingham, you are right, you are not on the Piedmont)

Old 05-20-2016, 10:05 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I'm offended that it's called the Piedmont Megalopolis when we're not on the Piedmont. #RidgeAndValleyMatters #CumberlandPlateauMatters
I'm guessing you are just joking but it at least runs across the majority of the area. Maybe they can abridge it with Piedmont-Tennessee Valley Atlantic. Or better yet call it the Tennessee Valley Megaregion and then in fine print on the back (featuring the Piedmont Atlantic region) since Huntsville is included and we all know it is the most important city in the region.

I also notice since the CSA reshuffling, Birmingham with the strength of Honda was able to wrestle Alex City away after it was taken from Montgomery and placed into the Sylacauga-Talladega Micropolitan region.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM

That is interesting! I didn't know the Piedmont extended into Shelby County. I did find this image showing the borders of the Piedmont in Alabama; however, other sources don't show it extending into Shelby. Maybe there is some sort of Piedmont border controversy? LOL.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
That is interesting! I didn't know the Piedmont extended into Shelby County. I did find this image showing the borders of the Piedmont in Alabama; however, other sources don't show it extending into Shelby. Maybe there is some sort of Piedmont border controversy? LOL.

Actually no border controversy. It is geological as much as it is geographical.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Actually no border controversy. It is geological as much as it is geographical.
But it's interesting to me that there is so much variation between maps that show the borders of the Piedmont in Alabama. Even the map I posted doesn't show the Piedmont extending all the way to Double Oak Mountain.

On another note, why does Charlantingham stop at Charlotte? Charlotte to the Piedmont Triad to the Triangle is a pretty continuous area as well.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
If you follow the definition of the PAM then it does include the Piedmont Triad and the Research Triangle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied...ic_Megaregion#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area