Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I like the new ballpark, but I wonder what would it take to get the Barons to move to AAA status?. I rather be playing teams from Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, etc, rather than Pensacola, Knoxville, Jackson, MS, etc.
This is true. About twenty years ago, there was an opportunity for the Barons to do so. I was amazed at how stupid the local sports writers were. The beat writer for the Barons actually said, "I don't see the point." Thank goodness these fossils are leaving the scene in this city so that we can actually move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is true. About twenty years ago, there was an opportunity for the Barons to do so. I was amazed at how stupid the local sports writers were. The beat writer for the Barons actually said, "I don't see the point." Thank goodness these fossils are leaving the scene in this city so that we can actually move on.
Thats not surprising. Wanna name names?, or should I already know who they are?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM

405 posts, read 822,854 times
If you have to ask, then no.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
If you have to ask, then no.
Twenty years ago I was 12-13 yrs old. Knowing who the beat writer for Barons wasnt a high priority for me. Thats why I asked.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Birmingham is a major city.......................in Alabama.
Period.
This nailed it. LOL, close thread.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Twenty years ago I was 12-13 yrs old. Knowing who the beat writer for Barons wasnt a high priority for me. Thats why I asked.
I wasn't responding to you, just the title of the thread. Basically, if everyone has to ask if Bham is a major city, then the answer is no.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Gosh all mighty,,,,,,,,,,where do these people come from. I don't have time to go on everyone elses forums to try and inflict such stupid complexes.
Btw.......of course people in cities and states think more of a place than if they are somewhere else. Surprise.............you can't know a place by what you are told, read, FEEL, or make up. Each has to be experienced. Size is not the most important factor in the end. I assure you that people in Boston feel no less significant because they are so much smaller than New York. After a while one more service station or anything else is just superfluous. The city that impresses me has just enough of everything and not one drop more. That leaves a lot to be desired on both side of the fence.
Immature thought process drives this posting from those that have no horse in this race.

raj

Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM

309 posts, read 718,146 times
They likely see it on the main page since the Alabama forum is listed at the very top. Either way, input from all parts are welcomed.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM

309 posts, read 718,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
I wasn't responding to you, just the title of the thread. Basically, if everyone has to ask if Bham is a major city, then the answer is no.
That's an interesting way of looking at it.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Gosh all mighty,,,,,,,,,,where do these people come from. I don't have time to go on everyone elses forums to try and inflict such stupid complexes.
Btw.......of course people in cities and states think more of a place than if they are somewhere else. Surprise.............you can't know a place by what you are told, read, FEEL, or make up. Each has to be experienced. Size is not the most important factor in the end. I assure you that people in Boston feel no less significant because they are so much smaller than New York. After a while one more service station or anything else is just superfluous. The city that impresses me has just enough of everything and not one drop more. That leaves a lot to be desired on both side of the fence.
Immature thought process drives this posting from those that have no horse in this race.

raj
Although I agree with the some of the latter part of your post, it seems kind of strange to question why people outside of your city might be interested in it. I've spent a lot of time in Birmingham and happen to think highly of the city - that's why I look into this forum from time to time. It's an interesting place so I wouldn't begrudge outsiders taking an interest if I were you - especially ones that make nothing but positive comments.

The bolded statement is also very true...hopefully you will heed your own advice and not try to tell 25 year veterans of other cities what their city holds. It's a foolish endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area