Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 AM

178 posts, read 370,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
it is very doable from both a power and maintenance perspective.
Google maps shows this tunnel is a part of Jefferson county. Anyone know who's paying for the bulbs and the power bill for this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybuddha View Post
Google maps shows this tunnel is a part of Jefferson county. Anyone know who's paying for the bulbs and the power bill for this ?
Not that kind of bulbs. This is an civic art groups project of much larger scope. Like most things now, it is a public/private endeavor. You can google it and get the details. It seems the initial news announcement would answer your query.

It is in the city of Birmingham.......so the implication of your question about Jefferson County is moot.

Jurisdiction is not totally defining any longer fortunately. There are projects that are being funded by separate cities and even from different counties now. Some wisdom seeping in.

No one was or will be hurt to enhance our urban/suburban environment.

Unfortunately however, a lot of people will be hurt every time they 'FLUSH IT'.

raj

Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 AM

273 posts, read 672,755 times
Yes, just be careful what you wish for. This seems needed for Birmingham to give its downtown a boost. However, I live in NYC in a gentrifying neighborhood. The new bars the expanded museums and hotels in my area are nice but then rents and home prices rise, and with more bars and restaurants comes more litter and more chances that you may hear a drunken argument at night if you live nearby.

Our local politicians have encouraged the renewal of nightlife but are strict on - 1) noise from people outside of bars at night and 2) raffiti and any rises in drug dealing. Unfortunately if development is not planned well you will get litter, noise, and possibly drug dealing as it comes with the honky-tonk Las Vegas thing.

So be vigilant the development is informed by the community and attends to quality of life issues throughout. A little noise and periodic crowds on Thursday and Friday eve or Saturday afternoon is fine - but I doubt you want Times Square size crowds roaming all over the place until 2 am from Thursday thru Sun.

Congrats again though and looks like I will pay a visit to Birmingham soon to check out the neat art and a few cafes.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
You're right. We should be careful. Adding a couple of lights to a previously unfrequented area and the next thing you know we'll be like New York City.

Last edited by Tourian; 07-02-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM

302 posts, read 335,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
I read that. I believe they plan some other installations. With the new technology in lighting, it is very doable from both a power and maintenance perspective.

We just have to be careful and not do so much that we look like HONKYTONKVEGAS.

raj

ps if you haven't been, don't plan to just drive through. There is a program and it last at least fifteen minutes so you could miss the impact thinking you can stop for a moment. We were down Sat. night and there were lots of people and it was the first time in my life I felt safe in one of those tunnels, especially at night.

This place is changing. Join us or get out of the way.
Correct. 18th Street is the proof of concept. The idea is to encourage nearby businesses to "sponsor" other light installations in the remaining underpasses (14th, 19th, 20th). Eventually, the plan is to create a comprehensive lighting scheme that includes tunnels, landmarks, and buildings. It will be modeled on Philadelphia's successful Center City lighting project. Which, I must say, is quite stunning.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardamnbham View Post
Correct. 18th Street is the proof of concept. The idea is to encourage nearby businesses to "sponsor" other light installations in the remaining underpasses (14th, 19th, 20th). Eventually, the plan is to create a comprehensive lighting scheme that includes tunnels, landmarks, and buildings. It will be modeled on Philadelphia's successful Center City lighting project. Which, I must say, is quite stunning.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

raj

Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM

302 posts, read 335,743 times
Indeed. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
View detailed profiles of: