U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,888,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpFindEscapedRoy View Post
I've not heard of a Juans Mexican Grill. Google searched and wondering if this one is still open. The phone rings but no answer. Los Juane's Mexican Restaurant, 401 19th St S Birmingham AL 35203 (205) 214-0964
That makes a lot of us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM

518 posts, read 439,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
That's a long interstate. So in relation to what?
I should have said at exit 97.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM

518 posts, read 439,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpFindEscapedRoy View Post
I've not heard of a Juans Mexican Grill. Google searched and wondering if this one is still open. The phone rings but no answer. Los Juane's Mexican Restaurant, 401 19th St S Birmingham AL 35203 (205) 214-0964
My bad! The resturant they have in Brent is called Juans Mexican Grill, the one in McCalla is called La Tortilla Mexican Grill.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,578 times
Raj, my favorite is Taqueria Mexico
3724 Lorna Rd
Birmingham, AL 35216 (205) 989-5559
It is close to Galleria, and top rated on Yelp. The food there is a lot like what I got in New Mexico and California. They have lot of different dishes and their Margaritas are great. If you like spicy ask for the four spices when you order (be careful, one of them is fresh Habenero). They will even let you try some of the Margarita flavors out - the mango one was my favorite.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbeck View Post
Raj, my favorite is Taqueria Mexico
3724 Lorna Rd
Birmingham, AL 35216 (205) 989-5559
It is close to Galleria, and top rated on Yelp. The food there is a lot like what I got in New Mexico and California. They have lot of different dishes and their Margaritas are great. If you like spicy ask for the four spices when you order (be careful, one of them is fresh Habenero). They will even let you try some of the Margarita flavors out - the mango one was my favorite.
Thank you for posting. I added Taqueria to my list of regular places earlier this year. They have very friendly and helpful service. They are a little more rigid than other places I go as far as substitutions. I really dislike that. I always let them know that I expect to pay more but they 'will not substitute'. For those that are not familiar with eating Mexican style food, it means that to get one thing you want, you might have to take two chicken enchiladas along with it. Just not my way and I feel that people who are paying should be getting what they want. (only a few places still do this)

I have left many similar places completely. But in this case, I will continue to go occasionally but not as much as I would if they were 'flexible', another word for 'hospitable'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often take an opportunity with making a post to recommend something. In this case, Poblanos, on River Street (on the north shore), is on the north end of the Frazier Ave. area across the river from the aquarium area.
A very special place a little off the beaten path for that area. The wife of the owner made some of the best sangria for me that I have ever had. They have brazed beef street tacos that are great. I could praise many things but will just suggest that if in Chattanooga, try it.

BTW; I found this by asking Siri on my mini pad and we just took a chance. What fun.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:10 PM

I went to La Catrina Cantina at Wildwood tonight. The place is very nice looking and had a lively atmosphere. The food was actually quite nice with a few almost exceptional items.
Although not blown away, I did like the place enough to go back. (it just seemed to have so little personality however, other than all the beautiful light fictures)

I found out about this place due to the fact they have made the news this week because they are opening in English Village. That certainly got my attention. I seriously doubt they are good enough to make it in the long haul in that location.
Other locations are Trussville, Vestavia Hills, downtown, New Orleans and coming soon to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area