Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee66 View Post
After living in Boise, Idaho for a little while I really missed decent Mexican food. It was really hard to find out there even with a fairly large Mexican population.

Since we've been back the best I've found has been a Cozumel in Pelham. It may or may not be authentic but it tastes pretty good on my palette.

Cozumel is a good restaurant and the Torres family are really nice people.

I would only fault them for not being a little creative with one or two things.
However, they are very flexible, one can make unlimited special requests.

Raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
How so?
I liked it. The only one outside of L.A.

But have they reopened? (said they were, but would not answer questions when called in LA)

Raj

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Ach. Did not know it had closed. Shame.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Well the closing story that was posted said something vague about being temporarily closed until 2016.
Now, I ask you, who pays a lease in a vital location for two years to just sit there.

Something really fishy about the whole deal. (yes, I called and they would not comment)

I am sorry if it is over. I went once and tried to go back. Nothing like any other Birmingham offerings. A light fresh approach and very good drinks. Fish tacos among the best for those who like.

I plan to drive by the property tomorrow to see if it is being dismantled. In that location I can't see the landlord leaving it sitting there.

Downside; parking may have killed them and therefore any future food operation there. Street parking is really tight there and of course no one in SOHO is going to park and walk a block. lol

raj

Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Ha ha. I thought that was the whole point. The three times we've gone we had to park and walk. One time in particular it was about three blocks away and my wife was extremely pregnant at the time but that didn't phase us. It was very pretty outside and SOHO is a cool place to enjoy a short walk. Oh well, we haven't tried the Japanese place yet.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:27 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
About a dozen years ago, a friend took me to La Paz in...Crestline Village, I think. I adored the food, especially the nacho chips with different kinds of salsa.
I noticed a La Paz has opened outside the Galleria.
Any reports?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
About a dozen years ago, a friend took me to La Paz in...Crestline Village, I think. I adored the food, especially the nacho chips with different kinds of salsa.
I noticed a La Paz has opened outside the Galleria.
Any reports?
A low key decent place. Some good things on the menu. Service is questionable.
I reserve the right to hate this place at some time in the future, with justification.

Raj

PS There also had been a very good version of La Paz located at Vestavia Hills City Center. It really was quite nice. (in the Nona Rose location) Gone now of course. I don't find a lot of support in the Vestavia Hills area for full service Restaurants.

PPS If still there, the La Paz out by Vanderbilt in Nashville is quite good. A lot like the one that was in Vestavia Hills.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I checked it out this weekend as I said I would.

All the signs are still in place, the murals and all interior are still in tact. With this prime location, I doubt the landlord would tolerate a long drawn out move. They must be planning on reopening and the 2016 date was an outrageous typo. Still who has ever known a business to keep and pay for prime real estate for almost a year to reopen. Very strange, but I hope it is all true and they come back. It may not be a great restaurant, but it sure beats the Salsarita/Fresh Lime places to drop by for a drink and other pick-me-ups.

Raj

Old 05-06-2014, 04:14 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
cocina superior at brookwood and chuy's at the summit are both pretty good imo. the vast majority of mexican places all run together to me. i really couldn't tell the difference between the rice and beans and enchiladas at once place compared to the next. some of that has to do with mexican food in general... there just isn't a lot of variety. most of it is meat, beans, and cheese in a tortilla. or something close to it.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:26 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Try to find a taqueria.

Taqueria Mexico - Birmingham, AL | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area