Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times

Advertisements

I know how subjective food is, but I am not that picky. Two chains are strangling this town. Habeneros, (they also own Frontera) and Sol Azteca. These two places account for about THIRTY restaurants in the metro.
Yes , they have some good things but if people had some really good experience they would demand better. Huntsville has Phil Sandoval; I drive two hundred miles round trip some weekends for dinner, it is that much better in everyway.

I also drive 160 round trip to Prattville for El Patron. It is that good.

I use to drive to Chattanooga to a place so good but it is gone. I have a special new place in Gulf Shores.

I drive 80 miles round trip to Pell City for Azteca. Nice , homey and Auturo is a pleasing kinda guy.

Heck, when I fly I even have a favorite place in the International terminal in Dallas. Reattas. The best ever including stacked enchiladas.

I won't mention anymore out of state.

LOCALLY , in Pelham I like Cozumel a lot. (but it does get a little boring)
I also like Las Margaritas, but it has turned into more of a bar.
I really liked 2 Pesos a lot and then they went with live music inside. (I can't eat over bad music)

I think Superior Grille serves some good food, but it is on the edge with the bar atmosphere especially when they have what .............LIVE MUSIC.

I like Pinches Tacos in Homewood.

Ok, I am not an authentic nut. I have been to Mexico about thirteen times. Theirs is not authentic either, do I don' play that game.

I just want a great MARGARITA/SANGRIA.
GREAT SHREDDED BEEF
SALSA THAT HAS NEVER BE STORED OVER NIGHT
GUACAMOLE THAT IS NOT BROWN OR CREAMED
NO GREASE ON THE CHILE RELLENO
AND DON'T BE BORING , HAVE SOMETHING OTHER PLACES DON'T HAVE
AND DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T SUBSTITUTE, I'M PAYING THE DAMN BILL

Please, some nice person who likes this stuff share with me what you know within a roughly one hundred mile radius.

Give me a place, why you like it and what you like to eat there.

I am sorry this is so long but I left a lot out. I have been to many more places, I just mentioned the obvious and I do sincerely believe it is almost impossible for a chain to have good Mexican food.
And please , no semi fast food like Moes and Chipotle.

I will be wishing and hoping.

Thanks guys and gals.

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I love Pinches. I think that was the first time I have ever had a real authentic taco.

Is one of the places you mentioned in homeood near the Palisades? I was told by a friend many years ago that that was one of the few places that offered authentic Mexican in town. Back when I was in high school our Spanish teacher took us to the one in Hoover that was behind Outback on 31 which he claimed to be authentic. I am sorry I am bad with names, ill look it up here in a bit.

I did not realize two chains had so many locations. Maybe that's why most of those places taste the same to me. A bit off topic: at my old job I ran in to a dude that claimed to control ALL the Mexican food distribution service in to Alabama. How that can even be possible I don't know. But I almost said that's why most Mexican restaurants seem to have the same food and nearly the same menu. He also claimed to own six lamborghinis.

I only saw two of them.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I love Pinches. I think that was the first time I have ever had a real authentic taco.

Is one of the places you mentioned in homeood near the Palisades? I was told by a friend many years ago that that was one of the few places that offered authentic Mexican in town. Back when I was in high school our Spanish teacher took us to the one in Hoover that was behind Outback on 31 which he claimed to be authentic. I am sorry I am bad with names, ill look it up here in a bit.

I did not realize two chains had so many locations. Maybe that's why most of those places taste the same to me. A bit off topic: at my old job I ran in to a dude that claimed to control ALL the Mexican food distribution service in to Alabama. How that can even be possible I don't know. But I almost said that's why most Mexican restaurants seem to have the same food and nearly the same menu. He also claimed to own six lamborghinis.

I only saw two of them.

People who make their own claims are suspect. Usually such renowned people are busy be industrious while everyone else is telling you what they do and what they have. I am writing him off. He's never shipped a chile relleno that I have eaten.

The place behind Outback is La Fiesta. I went once less than a year ago because a friend raved about it. I thought it was pretty sad. Saturday night , very few people, slightly stale chips, and like you wrote the food could have come into the state on one of your friend trucks or the lambo for that matter. Anyway, I have heart , I don't jump up and tell them they are terrible.

I go to the little Amigos across from Best Buy on Lorna sometimes. They have a good mole. (unusual around here, and shredded beef yucatecas )

Ironically the best I ever had here was in the food world shopping center at Rocky Ridge and Lorna. It was Las Pinatas. Owned by the Lopez family and was in that location for about seven years. The freshest and best of everything and I had things there that I had never heard of. Like a white sauce they made by peeling the skin from walnuts and making a cream sauce with it. Unbelievable. Sadly it how houses a so so Indian place ironically.

Thanks for you reply

raj

Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
People who make their own claims are suspect. Usually such renowned people are busy be industrious while everyone else is telling you what they do and what they have. I am writing him off. He's never shipped a chile relleno that I have eaten.

The place behind Outback is La Fiesta. I went once less than a year ago because a friend raved about it. I thought it was pretty sad. Saturday night , very few people, slightly stale chips, and like you wrote the food could have come into the state on one of your friend trucks or the lambo for that matter. Anyway, I have heart , I don't jump up and tell them they are terrible.

I go to the little Amigos across from Best Buy on Lorna sometimes. They have a good mole. (unusual around here, and shredded beef yucatecas )

Ironically the best I ever had here was in the food world shopping center at Rocky Ridge and Lorna. It was Las Pinatas. Owned by the Lopez family and was in that location for about seven years. The freshest and best of everything and I had things there that I had never heard of. Like a white sauce they made by peeling the skin from walnuts and making a cream sauce with it. Unbelievable. Sadly it how houses a so so Indian place ironically.

Thanks for you reply

raj

Forgot to address the mention of the place at the Palisades . Is it the one on the corner building near the traffic light? I have not been there but have been very tempted base on how it looks and location.

raj

Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Forgot to address the mention of the place at the Palisades . Is it the one on the corner building near the traffic light? I have not been there but have been very tempted base on how it looks and location.

raj
That's Los Compadres right on the corner of Green Springs and Oxmoor. It's decent. It's always good. But I don't know that it's anything to write home about.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Meh. I've eaten Mexican everywhere. L.A. Dallas. Austin. Juarez. Mexico City. You name it. And every time I've ever walked out of what was supposed to be the end-all, be-all, culmination of Mexican foodgasm, I've never said to myself one, "Wow, what a great meal."

Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
That's the one. I don't think that was the name back when I went. It was several years ago and it could have changed hands.

When I worked in Pelham we stuck to 2 Pesos and Zapatas. I'd be willing to give Chuy's another shot but my wife hated it.

The fast casual places have gone down hill. I don't think I'll get eat Moes again, or at least avoid the one in Hoover in front of best buy. But Chipotles and Izzos are blah to me too.

Sol Azteca, Pablo's were good.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That's the one. I don't think that was the name back when I went. It was several years ago and it could have changed hands.

When I worked in Pelham we stuck to 2 Pesos and Zapatas. I'd be willing to give Chuy's another shot but my wife hated it.

The fast casual places have gone down hill. I don't think I'll get eat Moes again, or at least avoid the one in Hoover in front of best buy. But Chipotles and Izzos are blah to me too.

Sol Azteca, Pablo's were good.
Pablos at Lee Branch can be pretty good, but my last visit was when six husky "waitresses" (anglo) started sweeping the floor with GUSTO while people were eating and this was an hour before closing on a Saturday. I decided I didn't want to know more about there cleaning practices. 2 Pesos is good and I like the people , especially Enrique, but I don't like the musica.

Zapatas I finally got to one night and the margarita was great. The waitress was so insolent we threw some dineros at them and walked out. There are many mediocre places around that there is no reason to take less than mediocre. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

@Tourian.............the new FLAMES STEAK GRILL in front of 2Pesos is owned by them. This suggest a good place for grilled food based on my experience with 2P. BTW, in my opinion the best thing they have is the flamiado. And it is not found too many places. Take your wife back to Chuys for a serving of the Tres Leches cake. That is the best thing they have and it is really nice in the cool of the evening overlooking the light of the Cahaba Valley out on the terrace. (wow, I make that sound great) This is a very traditional item that every mama made their familias en Mexico.

raj, of many thoughts

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Meh. I've eaten Mexican everywhere. L.A. Dallas. Austin. Juarez. Mexico City. You name it. And every time I've ever walked out of what was supposed to be the end-all, be-all, culmination of Mexican foodgasm, I've never said to myself one, "Wow, what a great meal."

Foie gras for you. (fiesta pooper)

raj

Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
That's Los Compadres right on the corner of Green Springs and Oxmoor. It's decent. It's always good. But I don't know that it's anything to write home about.

But Jakabedy, I DO want to write home about it..............

thanks,
raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area