Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM

38 posts, read 63,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Oh yes, Huntsville. Spaced Out City USA. Three road strips full of chain establishments and no identity. Its alright. Come visit and make yourself feel better anytime. Gosh, I do remember when you guys weren't even connected to a road system until that 'spur' opened. I still don't think I have seen downtown, does the spur go there?

keep up what your doing up there,
raj

Raj you'll be glad to know that it does actually connect to the "spur". There's an exit or two you should check it out sometime Big Spring Park is nice and the Art museum is right next door . It's not exactly a bustling downtown but it does exist and is starting to pick up. You can't expect Huntsville to really have an identity as it was a small town barely 50 years ago. Huntsville may not have the character of Birmingham or Mobile but give it some credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,084,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman27 View Post
Raj you'll be glad to know that it does actually connect to the "spur". There's an exit or two you should check it out sometime Big Spring Park is nice and the Art museum is right next door . It's not exactly a bustling downtown but it does exist and is starting to pick up. You can't expect Huntsville to really have an identity as it was a small town barely 50 years ago. Huntsville may not have the character of Birmingham or Mobile but give it some credit.
Since you are a serious and sincere poster I will revert back to myself. Yes the museum is nice and the setting is really appealing. I am up occasionally and had a chance to enjoy staying downtown at the Embassy Suites. (hotel was a bad experience) The view from the hotel was horrible . Top floor overlooking what was going to be 'Constellation'. Instead it is railroad tracks, power lines like crazy and dirt and mud. It is a shame what the developers did there.
I think as it was planned it was truly out of scale with the original and historical downtown area. I think it is a shame so many in Huntsville are so obsessed with it becoming a big city. It has so little identity because the original town has been smothered by unbridled and unzoned linear growth. Miles of featureless chain businesses.

My point is that the people guiding and pushing for growth should be placing a great value on the downtown area but they have built all those anonymous bank buildings. Huntsville could have had all the character of Franklin Tn. but on a grander scale. The modern buildings should be zoned into newer development and protect downtown. Maybe the failure of Constellation will allow someone else to come in and do something more compatible like the development with Publix. (Twickingham Station?)

I would also like to mention that I enjoy visiting the Botanical Gardens which has so much potential. Part of the problem in Huntsville may be that the surge of new residents has left the city without the guidance of the people who knew it best and could have preserved its identity while allowing for growth in specific areas. I do realize that the arsenal causes a problem for Huntsville as a community because it cuts the heart of the land area from the city and even dictates that singular east west corridor of 565/72 which keeps going west while leaving blight in its path. (MSM eastward)

I hope you realize my other post was somewhat tongue in cheek because of the nasty poster I was responding to. (childish of me, but I am but a child)

raj

Old 08-02-2013, 01:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM256 View Post
"Football Capital of the South" huh???

I remember when Birmingham used to hang it's hat on such a highly regarded statement but not so much these days.

What's next to go Birmingham?? BBVA Bowl, Magic City Classic? Maybe you guys should call up Charmins and see if you can get sponsorship for the 1st Annual Toilet Bowl to play inthe dump we call Legion Field.
I'm pretty sure Atlanta is the "Football Capital of the South" now.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Tuscaloosa has annexed the G Dome. It is the Tide's house now.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:25 PM

153 posts, read 277,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I'm pretty sure Atlanta is the "Football Capital of the South" now.
Yes, Atlanta is now the "Football Capital of the South" until, with the addition of Texas A & M, every SEC related event moves to Dallas and Houston.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamster View Post
Yes, Atlanta is now the "Football Capital of the South" until, with the addition of Texas A & M, every SEC related event moves to Dallas and Houston.
Texas is so bossy. First the textbooks, now the football.

(sigh)

Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 PM

I love some Texas.

raj

Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamster View Post
You actually think they will move everything to Texas bc 1 team is based there? Atlanta is in the middle of the SEC. No way in my life time.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
You actually think they will move everything to Texas bc 1 team is based there? Atlanta is in the middle of the SEC. No way in my life time.

lol

raj

Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,163,836 times
it was a matter of time before swac championship game moved not because of the facuilty but because of attendance. i mean the swac is two division west and east and unfortunately the state of alabama is the furtherest state to the east in the conference, so birmingham ain't really a central location for a championship host city. i would thought they would have chose a place in louisiana for a neutral central location as far as sec media days just imagine turning the old pritiz building into a ritz carlton hotel and move it there, 5 star quality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area