Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times

Advertisements

Yeah I think exit 1 promenade is in Bessemer. I seem to remember all the mcalla folks up in arms as they felt bessemer stole the land right out from under them. This I think was right about the time they were incorporating to try to block the railyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah I think exit 1 promenade is in Bessemer. I seem to remember all the mcalla folks up in arms as they felt bessemer stole the land right out from under them. This I think was right about the time they were incorporating to try to block the railyard.

I love when people come in and hate everything that was there before they were. Especially railroads and airports..............

raj

Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
The Dollar General distribution warehouse, Colonial Tannehill is in Bessemer

Wildwood is in Homewood.

Ross Bridge is in Hoover.

Hope that clear things up :-)

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not me. I've always thought that was a beautiful valley. A shame if it fills up with a bunch of zero lot line homes.
Yeah, I'm keeping my generally unpopular views out of here. To me, if a nice green area currently has little to no development, that is exactly a reason to not encourage development there... There is plenty of area thats already concreted over to further develop. Not everywhere has to look like an exurban community.
But I'm seen as a bit extreme on this board.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Yeah, I'm keeping my generally unpopular views out of here. To me, if a nice green area currently has little to no development, that is exactly a reason to not encourage development there... There is plenty of area thats already concreted over to further develop. Not everywhere has to look like an exurban community.
Well, I think that there is such a thing as plowing under what makes our city beautiful. When visitors come, what they all inevitably mention to me is how lush and green we've managed to keep things. One California visitor, as we were driving down 280 past Brookwood remarked how the city just ended at Homewood. To that I replied, "No, we just don't cut down all our trees. We build around them."

To that end, Oxmoor Valley is really beautiful and kind of breaks things up. Would hate to have some developer plow it all down in order to squeeze out a few hundred more homes.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM

114 posts, read 133,933 times
I would hate to see Oxmoor Valley become like 280. What I would like to see the area become is something like Mountain Brook or Riverchase in the sense that the homes are built into and around the woods. That would somewhat preserve the valley while still developing the area and filling the gaping "hole".

Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM

There is no hole. Just because there are no buildings or concrete, does not mean it is a hole.
If you want people, buildings, and development on every speck of land, China is there for you.
Alabama's advantange is its greenery. Don't lose that.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If you want people, buildings, and development on every speck of land, China is there for you.
Huh. I cant imagine why anyone would consider you extreme.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Huh. I cant imagine why anyone would consider you extreme.
Heh, good point. A bit of exaggeration.

However, I still maintain the meaning behind it. Just because we aren't in anywhere near that disastrous of a state, we need not subsidize the development of areas that maintain some "natural" beauty.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM

I agree. I like the fact that it is mostly a big park and a lot of greenspace and hope that part stays forever but I did think they were going to build some luxury homes or cabins back there. Just no cookie cutter subdivision that utilizes slash and burn and pave techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area