Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,129 times

Advertisements

Hi! We just got the news today that my husband got a job downtown in a Theatre, and he starts on Sept. 30th. SO... we need to move by the end of next week. I know crazy right?

We currently live in Oklahoma, but did live in Louisiana for two years before when getting our graduate degrees. We love moving to new places, and love the places that have a community of people that know each other well. And the Arts are very important to us since that is our field of work.

It is myself and my husband plus we have 2 daughters, and two puggles. Our daughters are 13 (8th grade) and 8 (3rd grade). We definitely want our girls to be in good schools because they are both placed in a gifted and talented program here and we would like to continue to progress. They both read 4 levels above their grade so they need a school that continually challenges them. It is also important to us that have theatre programs if not in the middle school than in the high school. If the girls didn't have to wear uniforms that would be a plus because our girls are definitely fashionistas. or think they are. hehe

We have looked at several different areas of Birmingham. Specially Irondale and Homewood. But if you are able to suggest another one that might needs better that would be great or details about Irondale and Homewood.

We would like for my husband's commute to be no more than 30 minutes. We are currently without a car because ours just broke down. So is there any form of public transportation in Birmingham? And do all the school district that have buses?

We are looking to rent an apt with the highest price for us right now being $800 a month, although $700 would fit our budget better. I would love a town house just for the fact the puggles could stay downstairs and out of our bedrooms. But at this point any nice apt will work. We do want central heat/air. I have found from calling different places the pet deposits do seem so much higher. One place was $800. So if you know of any place or area that is more pet friendly than others please let us know.

Any help or advice is so appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!!!!!
Nichole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,129 times
And we would be open to renting a house. I just didn't know if that would be more expensive than an apt. or not.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
What's the maximum rent you could pay?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
There is very little public transportation. What theatre is this at? I believe there's one in 5 points, in which case its actually not unreasonable to live in Homewood and take the bus to 5 points. And since all buses go downtown, if the theatre is downtown that might actually work as well. However, the current bus system tends to run only hourly (unless there are multiple bus lines running on the same route), and timing is not totally consistent (although there is a hotline you can call to ask where the buses are). Check the bus system when looking at apartments: BJCTA MAX

As far as schools, Homewood is highly rated. Irondale's reputation has gone downward of late, but I'm not sure how valid that assessment really is. If your kids test in, one of the best high schools in the country is the Jefferson County IB at Shades Valley high school in Irondale, but you can live anywhere in Jefferson county and qualify to attend. Unfortunately that place pretty much requires driving to, even if you live in Irondale. I'm not sure how competitive the test is, but I seem to like the graduates of the school that I've met. but that seems to go for Homewood as well. There are places in Homewood down 31 and some other locations you could likely pay <$800, but I'm not sure how nice they are. I don't know about the theatre program is (I'm guessing its decent), but the marching band has a great national reputation. I'm guessing Irondale is easier to get something at that price. However, in that case, I might just suggest living right in 5 pts/glen iris and enrolling the kids in Epic or Glen Iris (pretty much the best schools in the Birmingham system). That's might be a controversial statement for many people, but parents that have sent their kids there are generally happy. I think what would be perfect is if your kids could try to get into the Alabama School of Fine Arts (ASFA, which starts at 7th and 8th grade), but thats another iffy situation (although with a theatre parent and the child is gifted, I'd guess the chances are better than most).

Honestly, the combination of your relatively low budget, not having a car, and requiring highly rated schools makes for a constellation of difficult factors, so you may well have to compromise somewhere. Getting your kids into ASFA starting in 7th grade and living close to downtown/Southside would probably be perfect, but that requires both of your children getting accepted, and doing something with the 3rd grader until then. Even if you used Epic or something,l there's still a bit of a gulf for a single year during 6th grade until ASFA starts at 7th.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM

Oh, the only school district that has a bus (that I know of) is Hoover, and they are currently on track to shut that down. Homewood is the only place that is considered walkable to school here (although I still consider the schools to be rather spread out, unless you live right in prime Edgewood, and then its pretty inconvenient to the high school).

Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Miv

156 posts, read 350,916 times
Having no car is what is going to put you in a pickle.
The public transportation sucks so if you are outside of the city center you will catch hell.

Also you are limited with your school choices. For elem. you have EPIC and Glen Iris. For middle school you have W.J. Christian and they have school busses that pick up all over the city, or Alabama School of Fine Arts (both you have to test to get in).

You should be able to get a 2br on the southside for that price.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Oh, the only school district that has a bus (that I know of) is Hoover, and they are currently on track to shut that down. Homewood is the only place that is considered walkable to school here (although I still consider the schools to be rather spread out, unless you live right in prime Edgewood, and then its pretty inconvenient to the high school).
Wait! Are you saying that Hoover is the only school district in the Birmingham Metro that offers school bus service?! I find that very hard to believe. School transportation is a LAW in most places ... Or the only one that's on the public transit line?

Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wait! Are you saying that Hoover is the only school district in the Birmingham Metro that offers school bus service?! I find that very hard to believe. School transportation is a LAW in most places ... Or the only one that's on the public transit line?
Birmingham city schools have buses. Jefferson and Shelby County systems have buses. Trussville, Gardendale and Homewood have buses, I think. Hoover has them for this year, it appears, but is up in the air after that. Mt. Brook and Vestavia don't have them at all. But keep in mind that even those systems with buses commonly don't pick up kids who live within 1.5-2 miles from the school. You'll need to check with each system to clarify.

City buses aren't going to get them to school. The limited routes and timing and relibility don't really allow for it, unfortunately.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Birmingham city schools have buses. Jefferson and Shelby County systems have buses. Trussville, Gardendale and Homewood have buses, I think. Hoover has them for this year, it appears, but is up in the air after that. Mt. Brook and Vestavia don't have them at all. But keep in mind that even those systems with buses commonly don't pick up kids who live within 1.5-2 miles from the school. You'll need to check with each system to clarify.

City buses aren't going to get them to school. The limited routes and timing and relibility don't really allow for it, unfortunately.
That's what I thought. In Georgia (and most states) school bus transportation is mandatory beyond 1.5 miles of all school campuses, and is in fact funded largely by the state education budget. I wouldn't put it past Alabama not to have such requirements, though it seems extreme. Public education is guaranteed by law, and getting to school should be guaranteed too.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-24-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 AM

I'm pretty sure Homewood doesn't have buses. Maybe someone with direct experience can correct me. I knew Bham city has buses, but usually the objective is for people to avoid that school system. If thats not a worry, t hen it would work out perfectly.
I wasn't aware all those other places have buses. It might still be difficult to get to work, but since all the metro buses go downtown, that works to their advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area