Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
To answer the question, it boils down to the fact that many posters on CD feel compelled to address a subject on which they have limited to no experience or knowledge. It applies to many threads I've seen on here, not just this one.
Birmingham is in my opinion a fine town. I'd be proud to call myself a resident.
I would add that with Alabama being listed first alphabetically, this forum probably attracts an even higher percentage of trolls as it is at the top of the list when you open up the main forum. Look at the first reply to the OP for example.

One of the unique things about Birmingham is that Red Mountain is a physical, geographical entity that separates the haves and have nots in a much more tangible way than you see in other cities. But the line is there in most every American city I have ever visited, even if it is less measurable in terms of topography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I would add that with Alabama being listed first alphabetically, this forum probably attracts an even higher percentage of trolls as it is at the top of the list when you open up the main forum. Look at the first reply to the OP for example.

One of the unique things about Birmingham is that Red Mountain is a physical, geographical entity that separates the haves and have nots in a much more tangible way than you see in other cities. But the line is there in most every American city I have ever visited, even if it is less measurable in terms of topography.
It is a bit more then that since there is a much higher chance that a general Alabama, Huntsville or Mobile post will show in the top spot. Some people just have an axe to grind against Birmingham. Why even start a thread like this? It has no value. It went several pages before anyone FROM the area or even a regular poster showed up. Some Atlantans think it is their sworn duty to hawk over the Bham board just in case one of us has anything good to say about our city and dont give grace to their beloved Atlanta first. Why is that? I guess they get tired of getting owned by the Dallas and Houston peeps and they come here looking for what they think is an easy win. But when that doesn't happen the threads quickly devolve into incoherent babbling and mudslinging.

As much as they hate to admit it, Birmingham is a major city and it is making positive moves. That's why it's more "fun" for them to come take a dump on a Bham thread then it is to troll some people from Hartselle talking about a new Krystal's or whatever.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
They're, you mean? And in Birmingham?

I'm black and I've never once gotten an inkling of a sign of racism while I was in there. I actually have a friend that I went school with and is a family practitioner there. He's black as well. He's never had a problem either.

I'm not attacking you but simply asking... Have you visited or are you just making assumptions?
I notice that the blacks seem to be a bit "thrown in the corner" as far as the city and day day is concerned in Birmingham.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,260 times
The biggest thing that I notice about Bham is how it has a higher percentage of blacks than most cities, even Atlanta, but you hardly see blacks outside certain areas.

In Atlanta you see black people everywhere in just about all public places, restaurants of all prices, low-high-end stores, nice neighborhoods and suburbs, hip bars, breweries, everywhere.

In Bham you might see a token here or there but the black people seem to be tossed in the corner of their own neighborhoods not really participating in the everything the city has to offer like they do in Atlanta.

Why is that? It seems like Bham is being "revitalized" but only for whites.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
They put the Crossplex in Five Points West.

They took the Barons away from the suburb of Hoover and put them downtown in a new stadium.

They built RR park downtown and the "experts" said no sane person would take their family and go because of crime. They were wrong about that and the Barons. The Barons set attendance records and both parks have spawned major developments around them.

They are working to revitalize the Avondale and Woodlawn neighborhoods.

They = the majority black government that runs Birmingham. Five Points West, Avondale and Woodlawn are quite black. However it is quite okay for white people and any other color of people to come enjoy thosr facilities and live in those neighborhoods too.

Last edited by Tourian; 12-31-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 09:14 AM

33 posts, read 149,250 times
The ELITES, of this country, will always have pre-disposed ideas about the south...I grew up in the mid-west, been in the deep south for 30 years. They are wrong. The South is great..they know NOTHING...

Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM

467 posts, read 542,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
The biggest thing that I notice about Bham is how it has a higher percentage of blacks than most cities, even Atlanta, but you hardly see blacks outside certain areas.

In Atlanta you see black people everywhere in just about all public places, restaurants of all prices, low-high-end stores, nice neighborhoods and suburbs, hip bars, breweries, everywhere.

In Bham you might see a token here or there but the black people seem to be tossed in the corner of their own neighborhoods not really participating in the everything the city has to offer like they do in Atlanta.

Why is that? It seems like Bham is being "revitalized" but only for whites.
How could a city be "revitalized" only for people of a specific skin color? Nothing prohibits blacks from going to same places as whites.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That's why it's more "fun" for them to come take a dump on a Bham thread then it is to troll some people from Hartselle talking about a new Krystal's or whatever.
Hartselle has no Krystal. But they are still thrilled with their Cracker Barrel.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 PM

82 posts, read 167,558 times
Birmingham was once the most racist city in the south. This image still lingers on with those old enough to remember. The city has had serious issues with corruption in government. Most of the majors are not visionary enough to keep up with rival cities. In the 1960's Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis were nearly all the same size. The leaders of Atlanta brought in major league sports, busiiness, expanded the airport, and opened more opportunities for its citizens, while Birmingham ( and Memphis ) lacked visionary leaders to take it forward.

Of course today Birmingham has great potential, but one reason it has been somewhat over looked is because it's rival cities like Atlanta, and now Nashville has took off. Look at Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and of course Miami. All these cities have overtaken Birmingham since the 1960's. In some ways B'ham is like a southern Detroit. A city in population decline. B'ham has steady loss people since the 1960's.

In terms of physical beauty, Birmingham is one of the souths most beautiful cities with all the trees, beautiful homes on scenic hills, and mountains, and nice shopping centers. This could be an attraction in itself to get people to relocate here. But again the city has got to overcome it's stereotype image of race, corruption, and slowness.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
Birmingham was once the most racist city in the south. This image still lingers on with those old enough to remember. The city has had serious issues with corruption in government. Most of the majors are not visionary enough to keep up with rival cities. In the 1960's Atlanta, Birmingham and Memphis were nearly all the same size. The leaders of Atlanta brought in major league sports, busiiness, expanded the airport, and opened more opportunities for its citizens, while Birmingham ( and Memphis ) lacked visionary leaders to take it forward.

Of course today Birmingham has great potential, but one reason it has been somewhat over looked is because it's rival cities like Atlanta, and now Nashville has took off. Look at Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and of course Miami. All these cities have overtaken Birmingham since the 1960's. In some ways B'ham is like a southern Detroit. A city in population decline. B'ham has steady loss people since the 1960's.

In terms of physical beauty, Birmingham is one of the souths most beautiful cities with all the trees, beautiful homes on scenic hills, and mountains, and nice shopping centers. This could be an attraction in itself to get people to relocate here. But again the city has got to overcome it's stereotype image of race, corruption, and slowness.
Trends are starting to reverse toward the right direction so don't lose hope.

Recently, I've visited the Birmingham area a lot more frequently than I have in years past. I have a few family members who live in Hoover and Vestavia Hills. I have since figured out back streets so as to avoid 459. I'm so happy I have because the route I take (winding roads atop Shades Mountain) is breathtaking!

It's funny. Atlanta, particularly where I'm at in the ATL metro, is rather high in elevation; just over 1,000 feet. The southern suburbs of Birmingham, while still high in elevation, are not quite at 1,000 feet, yet it feels quite a bit higher than where I'm at in Atlanta. Absolutely amazing.

If for nothing else, this is a HUGE positive for Birmingham. It's topography alone sells it.

If anyone speaks negatively about Birmingham, I might not be a local, but I will gladly defend it. It has come a long way and is NOT the Birmingham it was in the '60s as much as some people who don't know might want to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area