Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You might be able to grow your own figs in B'ham if the summers are long enough!
Actually, there are quite a few fig trees here. One of our neighbors had them. We used to make preserves from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, there are quite a few fig trees here. One of our neighbors had them. We used to make preserves from them.
I grew up eating both figs and olives off the trees right here in Birmingham. I have not seen an olive tree since adulthood however?
Of course I had to get into some fairly feather raising fights with birds over those figs. WHEW...

Raj

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM

87 posts, read 135,625 times
Thanks again everyone! Figs and olives would certainly help us adjust; as innocuous as that may sound. It would remind us of Sicily, and for us, that is never a bad thing. For me, personally, the climate is one of the most attractive attributes of the Birmingham Area.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
It is beautiful today. Just a tad on the warm side as we have apparently skipped spring and moved into summer - but the breeze is nice. You will love it here.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM

87 posts, read 135,625 times
Thank you Tourian. I am sure, should Birmingham be the destination we decide upon, that we would enjoy it thoroughly. It is pretty remarkable how kind and responsive everyone has been on this forum. I hope you enjoy the beautiful weather all summer long.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
There is actually an olive "farm" in the coastal region of Alabama.

Nothing accidental about Miflin couple's commitment to creating south Alabama's first working olive farm | al.com

Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfar1374 View Post
As a side note to OP/questioner :

Please be aware that the Italian community in Birmingham, is among some of the MOST acculturated subsets living in Birmingham. Some of them are bigger "rednecks" than the local Anglo "rednecks".

Sicilian families however have maintained more of their close family culture in Birmingham. Most Anglos don't know some of the cultural nuanced differences between "Italians and Sicilians". I certainly do.

Being "Italian" in Birmingham has lost some of its cultural connectivity and cohesiveness. iT'S NOTHING like what you would find in the NE, or for that matter Miami.

In some ways, "Birmingham Italians" are IINO's (Italians in name only). Also, many so-called "Italian families" in Birmingham, aren't "Italian" at all. Many are half Italian or twice/three time removed Italian.

What I mean is that many 100% Italian men, married many local redneck/Anglo Alabama women, and produced male and female children who really didn't grow up in Italian homes at all. The male children, carrying the "Italian surname" manytimes didn't marry Italian women either, they too married some local rednecks from Alabama....so on and so on.

So, the bottom line is that many many Italian-named families in Birmingham are NOT anywhere near true 100% Italian and certainly not Sicilian ! (not compared to other cities).

While it is indeed true that in Birmingham's early history, there were a lot of Italians, they soon became so diluted and acculturated that their cultural identity has been manipulated and compromised.

Oh, some are quick to "claim their Italian heritage", but the truth is many aren't Italian to my knowledge in culture, custom and certainly not through DNA.

What a racist rant this was.

Do you really think you are bringing anything helpful to the table for the OP?

Don't bother, you are blocked, I won't read your garbage.

Find another dump.

Raj Kapoor

Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times

sorry, I couldn't resist. Just passing thru. I like it, it rhymes.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((POOF)))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
You know, you don't have to talk like the actors on The Sopranos or Jersey Shore or act like Teresa Guidice to be Italian-American. You don't have to eat "pasta fazool" or be a "goombah" to be Italian American. I know this because I am descended from Italian immigrants on my father's side, people who emigrated from the Italian region known as The Marches (La Marcha) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to work on cotton plantations in the Mississippi and Arkansas Deltas along the Mississippi River. And we talk with Southern drawls and otherwise act like other Southern whites. The primary way we left our mark is in the Catholic churches that dot the area. And there is nothing wrong with that - at all.

P.S. The above was directed at the hit-and-run troll, not the OP.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 PM

160 posts, read 290,701 times
I am also a transplant from the NE (New York) of Italian descent (my family originated from Casalbore), and have lived here since 1994, so I can relate to the OP's situation.

Please know that the following is just my experience, and I hope it does not come across as me "slamming" Birmingham (natives of Birmingham please read all the way to the end!).

It is true that Birmingham does have quite a history tied to Italian heritage, there is no disputing that. As a matter of fact, there were sections of Birmingham that were in essence "Little Italy's" many years ago. Unfortunately, those sections no longer exist. There are some excellent Italian restaurant's, and you will find people of Italian descent. However, I am very familiar with the type of Italian community you are coming from and looking for, and you will not find anything close to it here. You would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people that speak the language, and Italian is not offered in the school systems for kids as it is in the NE. In my experience, the majority of "Italians" that are still intimately tied to their heritage are elderly; the younger generations have not held onto those same ideals. There just isn't the same amount of "Italian Pride" as you see in the NE. When I meet new people of Italian heritage and ask where their family is from in Italy, rarely do any of them know; that isn't the case in the NE.

Yes, the Catholic schools, especially John Carroll HS, do seem to have a higher percentage of kids with Italian last names, but they are not from a single neighborhood (they live across Birmingham), nor do they speak the language. The Feast of St. Marks is a relatively new event, and they make a valiant effort, and it improves each year. But the event is dominated by pop music, and live bands that play American music from the 50's and 60's.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT...
I think the assimilation of the Italian heritage into American culture that you see here is not unique to Birmingham; I've seen it also in my hometown. I will also say that Birmingham is an incredible place to raise a family, and the people here are truly kind, warm and caring. I have had opportunities to move back to NY, and have elected to stay here, due to all the benefits you listed in your original post.

But I just wanted to offer my experience, as I have long yearned for the Italian "community" that you are seeking, but have not found here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area