Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:46 PM

136 posts, read 596,075 times

Advertisements

rudulph is a good site for rentals and also al.com for rentals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 02:50 PM

The following is from www.ua.edu

"The University of Alabama has been named one of the nation's top 50 public universities by U.S. News & World Report for seven consecutive years. With four USA Today Academic All-Americans this year, our five-year total of 24 tops all other colleges and universities."

Education is a priority!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
UAB Hospital is ranked #17 in the nation. There are over 2000 hospitals in the U.S.

The U of A School of Business was ranked #35, the School of Accountantcy ranked #19 and the School of law #36. Basically in the top 10% of all universites and colleges in the country.

Harvard? No. But certainly quality.

Both Auburn and Alabama have more than their share of achievers in the fields of commerce and academia. There are several billionaires in Birmingham who are Alabama and Auburn alumni. To the best of my knowledge, more Astronauts who have been on space missions are Auburn graduates than of any university.

The guy who started Wikipedia is a graduate of both....Jimmy Wales.

He received his Bachelor's degree in finance from Auburn University and started with the Ph.D. finance program at the University of Alabama, where he left with a Master's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_Wales

I won't waste my time with any more of this frankly. I am weary of the stereotyping.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Nice!!!Good research!!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnnyc View Post
Coming from Boston I feel you may like Birmingham...you may want to stick with the Mountain Brook, Vestavia or Hwy. 280 areas. If your husband is working at UAB they are building lots of new lofts and condos there...the main problem with Birmingham is the lack of tourist and the "old school" mentality is still very strong here. I am from NYC originally and do not like it here...I plan on returning back to the north in 2008. I don't find much diversity here and people are not that open with letting you into their circles...if you did not attend Alabama or Auburn University then you will feel out of place...football is their life here...not true education...reading etc. You may be able to find a few select people here and there but I am speaking about the culture here as a whole...please do not go to the library and expect it to be quiet...people are talking out loud because again...there is no true respect for education, reading or anything intellectual. If you don't believe me just remember what I have told you and when you arrive notice how long it will take for someone to ask if you are for Alabama or Auburn football teams and then visit a library and see how loudly everyone is talking. Also, those who hold great positions have either relocated here into their positions or were hired based on "who they know" not "what they know" degrees are not very respected here if you do not fall into one of those categories. I worked in HR for years and had to find jobs for people were not qualified simply because they had a family member who worked in management. Formal education is not very respected here...it is far more important that these kids play football...it is very sad. I am sorry Birminghamians...you guys need to wake up and smell the coffee....there is a whole world going on around you and all you know is football...orange and blue or crimson and cream.
I'm not quite sure where you get your information from. I graduated from Hoover with kids who ended up going to Duke, Emory, Vanderbilt, Davidson, Wake Forest, and many other great schools. We all had scores above 33 and 1500 on our ACT and SATs. We received IB diplomas, were National Merit Scholars, and AP Scholars. Does half of the class get accepted to Ivies? No, but I can tell you with great conviction that if Hoover or Mountain Brook or Vestavia is said in the admissions office at Harvard - it's said very positively. My mother was an admissions officer and later an alumni interviewer for Harvard for many years. Many top colleges have personal relationships with college counselors in these (and other) high school in Alabama.

And as Bravo said, Alabama has one of the best hospitals in the entire country. Countless people come to UAB to get opinions from EXPERT physicians.

I must be on glue, but last I knew, Hoover and other Birmingham suburbs were growing.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambound2008 View Post
Hi all,

My husband, infant daughter and I are relocating to B'Ham from Boston next summer. I am Asian American from California and was a bit skeptical of Birmingham at first given its past history. But after doing more research I have been pleasantly surprised as B’Ham seems to be a beautiful and diverse city. My husband will be working at UAB for 1 year so we are interested in renting a house or condo near there or relatively close to UAB in a SAFE neighborhood. Since we aren’t quite sure if we will have two cars in B’Ham, it would be nice to live within walking distance to cafes, grocery stores, playgrounds, etc. We are willing to pay $1500-$2000 rent/month. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

B’Ham Bound in 2008

$1500/month? You could live VERY comfortably within city limits (5 points South, Forest Park, etc) for half that. Birmingham's no Boston. $1000 month would probably get you the nicest loft in downtown Birmingham, easily.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if there's any rentals ANYWHERE in the Birmingham area going for $1500/month.

_

Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
$1500/month? You could live VERY comfortably within city limits (5 points South, Forest Park, etc) for half that. Birmingham's no Boston. $1000 month would probably get you the nicest loft in downtown Birmingham, easily.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if there's any rentals ANYWHERE in the Birmingham area going for $1500/month.

_
It has been a while since you rented:>)

Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 AM

you can get a nice 2 bedroom 2 bath loft for the $1400 range. I have looked at some lofts and I saw one with an okay view for $850. This was a studio with around 650 square feet. Lofts are not cheap. I haen't seen any for rent at city federal but I can imagine if there were any they would be starting around 1,500 for a 1 bedroom.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:46 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustygulas View Post
you can get a nice 2 bedroom 2 bath loft for the $1400 range. I have looked at some lofts and I saw one with an okay view for $850. This was a studio with around 650 square feet. Lofts are not cheap. I haen't seen any for rent at city federal but I can imagine if there were any they would be starting around 1,500 for a 1 bedroom.
One small child and one adult going to/working at UAB, the other? - there is not enough room for a laptop in a 650 sqf place.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 17,725 times
I live in Riverchase and would like to apologize - did not want to offend anyone. I think there are some really great people here in Birmingham. Perhaps the culture shock is the basis for my personal relocation challenges :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area