Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 PM

415 posts, read 801,880 times

Advertisements

Noccalula Falls is worth a stop to stretch your legs.

There is also this place along the way:

Unclaimed Baggage Center | Alabama Attractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 02:56 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,664 times
I would also add the Red Mountain Park to the Birmingham area.

Red Mountain Park

Their zip lining tour is pretty awesome!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,664 times
While in Chattanooga, consider staying at the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel downtown. You can stay in one of the hold Victorian train cars. That would be a really fun experience for you guys.

Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel | Restaurants and Attractions | Historic Hotels

Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Bluff View Arts district in DT Chattanooga is a must visit. Overlooking DT, and easy walk right up from Market Street.
B&B, cafes, galleries, great views of the river.

Chattanooga has the all encompassing bike rental system. Stations everywhere on both the north and south shores. The city also has the largest electric commuter bus system that will take you all over the central city for free. (thanks to TVA)

At Bluff View, do not miss the Hunter Museum of the Arts. One of the finest art museums in the south. (thanks to COCA COLA money)

I feel the best food is on the north shore.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:02 PM

198 posts, read 413,257 times
I appreciate all of the replies!

In one of the posts, someone suggested staying and eating in the "uptown" area. What area of Birmingham is considered ''uptown?"

I looked at some hotels. One that looked very nice is the Hilton Garden Inn Liberty Park. Anyone know anything about it or the area it is in?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heaven WV girl View Post
I appreciate all of the replies!

In one of the posts, someone suggested staying and eating in the "uptown" area. What area of Birmingham is considered ''uptown?"

I looked at some hotels. One that looked very nice is the Hilton Garden Inn Liberty Park. Anyone know anything about it or the area it is in?

Liberty Park is VERY nice, but the only things near by are the Summit and it is about three miles farther down the freeway. (it does have a number of nice places to eat and of course a lot of top notch shopping)

Uptown is the area north of the I-20/59 freeway at the BJCC (convention center, on the north end of downtown) There are the Sheraton, Westin and Tuwiler Hotels all close by.(walking literally) Also a number of very popular restaurants some with entertainment. Six blocks south on Second Avenue South there are a couple of blocks with a number of local restaurants that are very popular.

The other nearby areas are FIVE POINTS SOUTH and LAKEVIEW. A car or cab will be necessary to reach these, although still downtown. You might also check out if any performances that appeal to you are booked at IRON CITY at that time. It is on Twenty Second Street South at about Seventh.

I also would recommend highly staying in the Midtown/SOHO/Homewood area. It is a very self contained area of great shops and plenty of cafes, bakeries, delis, pizza parlors, Japanese, BBQ,Mex, and more all within a two block area. Centered in this area is the Aloft Hotel, very contemporary and inviting with a great internet bar and other amenities that include a fine dining restaurant. This area is very walkable and fun to explore. It is also geographically convenient to most other areas of interest in the central Birmingham area.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 09-25-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM

198 posts, read 413,257 times
Wow. What a detailed post with so much information. Thank you very much. Very helpful!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heaven WV girl View Post
Wow. What a detailed post with so much information. Thank you very much. Very helpful!
lol, I do try sometimes.
Your welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area