Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think?
Yes 26 38.24%
No 42 61.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
That's exactly the same thing they were saying about Portland 10 years ago, and I think everybody is painfully aware of what a dump THAT'S gotten to be since the hipster pandemic hit.

As an outsider to your area I'm voting yes, solely on speculation (based on past events in other cities) that the next Great Mass-Migration to Birmingham might take some of the burden off Portland, so the latter might actually become marginally livable again.
Isn't Portland regarded as one of the nicer, cleaner, more progressive and educated cities in the country? When I've heard of cities being called dumps, I've heard Detroit. I've heard Cleveland. I've heard New Orleans. I've even heard Birmingham. Can't say I've heard Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post

I think Avondale has become the epicenter, with fingers into downtown, lakeview, 5 points.
Ah, yes - you are correct. Its time to bring the judgmental map back out...

Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Ah, yes - you are correct. Its time to bring the judgmental map back out...
I love the judgmental map.

Of course, even as I type this, a bunch of Tibetan monks are creating a mandala down at Railroad Park. If the proximity of Tibetan monks to Good People Brewing doesn't bring the hipsters out, I don't know what will.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I love the judgmental map.
It cracks me up every time.

Quote:
Of course, even as I type this, a bunch of Tibetan monks are creating a mandala down at Railroad Park. If the proximity of Tibetan monks to Good People Brewing doesn't bring the hipsters out, I don't know what will.
Oh man, I forgot about the Dalai Lama. Should be hipster overload down there.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It cracks me up every time.
I especially love the bit about Samford being "Prom Queen and Closeted Gay College." I knew half a dozen guys who went to Samford who wound up switching teams.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I especially love the bit about Samford being "Prom Queen and Closeted Gay College." I knew half a dozen guys who went to Samford who wound up switching teams.
I like "Congenital Wealth", "Appliance Repairmen", "Convenient Slum" and "Bad Location College" the best. But the whole thing is funny and much of it eerily spot-on.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
This makes sense.
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveklein
I vote no.
Just because there is a young crowd that go out and drink craft beer and
wear skinny jeans hardly means that Birmingham is going to turn into a hipster
town.
Some of the things people associate with "hipsters" are really just
"young people" and a general shift in attitude. Younger people these days are
more likely to be accepting of smoking pot, tattoos, having a taste for craft
beer, for gay marriage and abortion, concern for the environment and not as
involved in organized religion.
Are these ideas and beliefs creeping into Birmingham? Yes, but at a
slower pace than more progressive cities.

This also makes sense
Quote:

Originally Posted by raj kapoor
I think many people do not understand the meaning of this question. The
key words mean different things to different people.
This question, posted after a recent news article about the subject, is
really about the young entrepreneurial set that is driving start-ups and growth
of cool new businesses, especially tech driven, not drugged out people who are
sad they weren't around to be a hippy, so they get tattooed anyway.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Howest2008
Birmingham Alabama lost it's place when it let
Atlanta pass it up....and will never catch back up

I'm no B'ham booster, but I disagree. Birmingham may not ever catch up with Atlanta, but it doesn't need to. Birmingham has an identity of its own and will continue to evolve in its own way. Not like Atlanta. ...and that's okay.

Now, for my personal opinion regarding the OP's question... sure, it could happen. Will it be the ultimate hipster mecca like Seattle and places of the like? I don't think so. I don't think most people want that to happen though.
I like Birmingham Alabama , but hipster mecca or capital it will never be , because the young whites
of Bombingham all grow up somewhere in theirs mid 30's and cease from being ( Hipster ) which gives
the city a very non-progressive vibe and political climate.

2. Birmingham is not a rapidly growing city " Hipster Flocking There Bus, Plane and Train " you had
one guy write a article that you're trying to make into " Law " however the 100,000's and Millions
of American don't agree with the future vision of Birmingham.

3. Birmingham was once a dominate city in the " South " but theirs Political Leaders shut down a
lot of progressive things that wanted to happen in Birmingham , and instead of happening in B' Ham
it of course happened in ATL......

Birmingham could have it's own identity and still be ahead of ATL....your leadership made a whole
lot of boneheaded decisions that brought your city down to it's knee's , it's doing better now , but
please give me a break " no talk of a Austin Texas or Portland Oregon and please no Seattle's not
even in a 100 years.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
It's pretty funny. But Scary Walmart? Really? I mean, I'm not a very intimidating person myself, but I don't find that place scary in the least.

Maybe you guys can shed some light on a couple I don't get:
Angry Retired Engineers: why here?

Bad Hospital:I figure its Brookwood, but is it considered bad? A lot of people here seem to generally consider the private hospitals better. Which I think is crazy. But aside from that, from my limited interactions it seemed better than St Vincents.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
It's pretty funny. But Scary Walmart? Really? I mean, I'm not a very intimidating person myself, but I don't find that place scary in the least.
I'm guessing simply because someone white would be on equal terms demographically with the sum total of patrons in there at any given time means it is scary to some people. They probably could have gone with a more easy layup by labeling Roebuck or Fairfield Wal-Mart "Scary.

Quote:
Maybe you guys can shed some light on a couple I don't get:
Angry Retired Engineers: why here?
I don't get that one either.

Quote:
Bad Hospital:I figure its Brookwood, but is it considered bad? A lot of people here seem to generally consider the private hospitals better. Which I think is crazy. But aside from that, from my limited interactions it seemed better than St Vincents.
My wife sometimes refers to it as Staphwood, however I think it is a good...ish hospital.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I

My wife sometimes refers to it as Staphwood, however I think it is a good...ish hospital.
We have a pact with my elderly mother. If she ever has a heart attack or stroke, the ambulance is supposed to drive her right past Brookwood and on to St. Vincents or UAB. She claims too many of her friends have died there for incredibly stupid reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area