Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:10 PM

284 posts, read 611,544 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in the Calera area know what is going on right off Hwy 16, in the woods behind Emerald Ridge? Lots of trees coming down, lots of equipment noise. I'm so sad to see the trees coming down. I've so enjoyed the birds and critters that frequent my yard from those woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:22 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee66 View Post
Does anyone in the Calera area know what is going on right off Hwy 16, in the woods behind Emerald Ridge? Lots of trees coming down, lots of equipment noise. I'm so sad to see the trees coming down. I've so enjoyed the birds and critters that frequent my yard from those woods.

Unfortunately, Calera is the next Moody, so get ready, or move on.

(I'm a city tree hugger, but don't tell anyone)

Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 PM

Just moved here less than a year ago. Can't move on just yet.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee66 View Post
Just moved here less than a year ago. Can't move on just yet.
Oh, you are one of the many reasons it is going to end up like Moody.

That is ok, I know you meant well. At least your property values are going up as the trees are going down.
Life is strange like that isn't it.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 31,557 times
im looking to move to calera shortly anything you guys can tell me about the area? im looking at camden cove, old ivy and chesapeake subdivisions. i saw above something about being like moody care to elaborate? also hows the crime i live in chelsea now so i really dont know the goings on there. thanks

Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Calera is a much more racially diverse area than Chelsea, but I don't think one finds problems of an urban nature to a great extent.
Hundreds of homes were built overnight in Moody for availability to the employees of the Honda/Acura complex. The complex has under gone expansion and is about to embark on it largest. Now in the past six months about two thousand new homes have been announced. These next two projects seem to promise a little more sensitivity to the environment.
Rather than the sea of rooftops that are there now and in other similar places such as McCalla where the sea of roof tops popped up along I-459 for Mercedes and other major projects that have opened out that way in the past five to twenty years.

I am under the impression that Calera is strictly now a commuter community, but there may be a big project coming there if the big home developers start building like there is no tomorrow.

I am not against growth at all. I just wish that the above mentioned communities had leadership to realize you get one or two chances to make your community a really nice place. Instead of what we call in the city, exurbs.

Best wishes with your move. I-65 will be a lot easier on you than US280 if you have to drive a lot.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Look at Emerald Ridge. Across 2nd Ave from Camden Cove. Not as big....and IMO nicer. Two new homes are being built right now and there's several others for sale. No real issues for us but we've only been here since the end of February.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 31,557 times
i was looking at emerald ridge but i saw they start around 160 which is out of my budget now. im trying to stay 150 and down. i just hope the move there will be for the better as long as there isnt more crime than where i am and the people are good ill be ok but from asking around about calera all im hearing is its a decent area average crime and a spot for first time buyers and when its time to upgrade most move on. oh sorry one last question for the elderly is this a good area? dont really want to be around alot of young folks or at least have a mix of young and old.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 PM

There are several here that are for sale for $150 or under. The new ones start at $160. We are in one of the smaller ones and got in for well under $140k. I will say that I've seen all age ranges here and there's a mix of white and African American. Our neighborhood is fairly quiet. Seems there may be another subdivision going in behind us but not for awhile, just now clearing the land.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:29 PM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...72-81948?row=8

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-44426?row=14

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-90981?row=95

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-63212?row=114

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-68896?row=123

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-47736?row=247
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area