U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,331,620 times

Advertisements

Hope yall can save them, but I am afraid the Alabama board of trustees learned their lesson after losing their fight to kill UAH hockey. Thus they are trying to force the end as soon as possible so the community can't marshall its available resources to oppose them. Hopefully, Birmingham and Huntsville join forces to fight in the statehouse for the right of their local universities to be governed and directed by their own graduates instead of outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 PM

5,631 posts, read 2,747,229 times
there a good side too, those athletes can come to university of south Alabama and play

Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 PM

307 posts, read 243,535 times
the real cause of this: too many college fans in Birmingham still rooting for the Tide.

the Crimson Tide and most of their birmingham fan base caused UAB to shut down the program. that what happened. the Tide were putting the trans on the fans in Birmingham, preventing them from rooting for the Blazers and giving the Blazers bad luck, and making Legion Field empty.

i know Alabama used to play games at Legion on a occassional basis before the Blazers were promoted to FBS level. what are the UAB fans gonna do now??? they gonna switch to supporting the Tide again or even the Tigers?

ok ill ask this.... is it true that the majority of students attending UAB were wearing shirts and sweaters from other FBS schools like Alabama, Auburn and other SEC schools? if so, that may have been one of the cases for the program's fall.

its a dark day in Birmingham now. the darkest day in the history of sport in Birmingham since the Barracudas folded(thanks to too many NFL birmingham worshipers) and the Stallions folded(thanks to Trump).

when the postseason starts(especially that new playoff tournament), are most of Birmingham gonna care for the Tide and forget that the Blazers program never ever existed? as a Roadrunners fans(my team is in the same conference as UAB), i really do feel sorry for the diehard UAB fans. if i were a true Blazers fans, i advise you to turn your TVs off when the Tide is playing.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 AM

11,313 posts, read 10,136,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
the real cause of this: too many college fans in Birmingham still rooting for the Tide.

the Crimson Tide and most of their birmingham fan base caused UAB to shut down the program. that what happened. the Tide were putting the trans on the fans in Birmingham, preventing them from rooting for the Blazers and giving the Blazers bad luck, and making Legion Field empty.

You can't be serious.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

You can't be serious.
while some of what he said was bogus, it is hard to deny that alabama football didn't have its thumb over uab football. everyone knows paul bryant jr has been sticking it to uab for years. also, the obsession of birmingham over alabama football probably did prevent uab from gathering much of a fan base. if you sampled the uab student body, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if on average they cared more about the football team in tuscaloosa than the one in birmingham. i also would be surprised, but not totally stunned, if someone told me the uab student body actually attended more alabama football games than uab football games.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM

11,313 posts, read 10,136,013 times
Alabama football has been around a lot longer. You can not expect people to change or support both. UAB has fans of its own that support the team, travel and were putting 20K in at LF this season. That should have been enough to continue the program.

Blaming Birmingham's Alabama fans is...ludicrous at best.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,599,345 times
Nick Saban needs a high salary.. he is under paid for the job he has done at Alabama.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM

780 posts, read 592,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Nick Saban needs a high salary.. he is under paid for the job he has done at Alabama.
This is a joke, right? $7M a year tells me that Nick Saban is just fine.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,599,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
This is a joke, right? $7M a year tells me that Nick Saban is just fine.
No its not, Alabama football makes about 300 million a year in profits and he only makes 7 million, if he was a CEO of a company he would make at least 15-20 million. If Nick Saban wins another title at Alabama this year he will be in the best coach in America in any sport winning 4 titles in 6 years.. no other coach can do that is any sport since Joe Torre of the Yankees won four titles in five years in the 90s and 00.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 AM

780 posts, read 592,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post

i know Alabama used to play games at Legion on a occassional basis before the Blazers were promoted to FBS level. what are the UAB fans gonna do now??? they gonna switch to supporting the Tide again or even the Tigers?

ok ill ask this.... is it true that the majority of students attending UAB were wearing shirts and sweaters from other FBS schools like Alabama, Auburn and other SEC schools? if so, that may have been one of the cases for the program's fall.

its a dark day in Birmingham now. the darkest day in the history of sport in Birmingham since the Barracudas folded(thanks to too many NFL birmingham worshipers) and the Stallions folded(thanks to Trump).

when the postseason starts(especially that new playoff tournament), are most of Birmingham gonna care for the Tide and forget that the Blazers program never ever existed? as a Roadrunners fans(my team is in the same conference as UAB), i really do feel sorry for the diehard UAB fans. if i were a true Blazers fans, i advise you to turn your TVs off when the Tide is playing.
This narrative keeps going around that the lack of support for UAB is based on Alabama and Auburn fans being to loyal to their teams to support anything else. That just doesn't make sense. Birmingham isn't the only city in the state with a large number of Alabama and Auburn fans. However, there are plenty of other programs with plenty of support.

Troy would be the biggest one that comes to mind. People line up outside of Troy's stadium every home game waiting to go in.... A lot of them wearing Alabama and Auburn gear and checking scores on their smartphones. That may not be ideal for any sport fan base what has happened over time is Troy has picked up a lot of loyal fans through their efforts. Do you know what it all came down to? Properly supporting the football team. Now that we can probably blame the UA Systems BOT for.

Troy has something that UAB never did... An on-campus stadium with an awesome atmosphere, tailgating, good coaching, and a result, quite a few important wins. The probably him comes down to the fact that it was never done right from the very beginning and that isn't necessarily the fault of the people of Birmingham or anyone being an Auburn or Tide fan.

Quick note:
We have more college football fans than Philly, Houston, Tampa-St. Pete, Detroit and only 50,000 less than Chicago. Chicago's TV market is almost 5 times our size! A whopping 85% of our population are college football fans. I think with an on-campus stadium, we could find 30k of those people to support UAB football but maybe the evidence of Troy is wrong. Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area