Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 07:51 PM

9 posts, read 13,294 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone -
I posted in this forum 6 months ago prior to moving to Birmingham. I was looking for advice on the best area to rent a place for a short term stay, and ended up settling on a brand new apartment complex next to Red Mountain Park (Village at Lakeshore Crossings). I have been here since August and loved the city and my experience...until a week ago. The day after Christmas, I was robbed at gunpoint in my apartment complex parking lot. I had just arrived home from visiting family so I had EVERYTHING with me...laptop bag, suitcase, Christmas presents, purse...everything. The assailants hit me with the gun, pushed me to the ground and took all of my belongings. After initial police investigation it's been determined that they know someone who lived in the complex, which is how they got through the gates. Given this information, I do not feel safe living there and need to move ASAP. The complex is allowing me to break my lease and move as soon as I'm ready. I still have 4 months left on my project with the client. I'm looking for advice on a safe option for rental through end of April. I am a consultant for a living and I understand crime can happen anywhere, but I've traveled the world and lived practically everywhere (New York, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Barcelona, Dubai). I have NEVER fell victim to this kind of crime and feared for my safety. I just hate that this happened. I've really enjoyed my time in Birmingham up until now.

At any rate, does anyone have suggestions for a short term stay through April? One bedroom, unfurnished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Sorry it happened. One can live all their lives somewhere and have no incident, another can be robbed a week after moving to a place. I am not sure what the point was in listing those locales. I assure you there is crime in those places, it just didn't happen to you. We live in a society that grows more dangerous all the time. You have been given the chance to be more cautious. All we can do is learn to be less naive.

I am assuming it was at night. In such a case I would have left things in the trunk and unloaded the next morning. The more one has to lose the bigger the target they make. Do be more thoughtful of your actions, anywhere you are, ultimately our wellbeing is our first responsibiltiy to ourselves. Perhaps, the nature of the way you live, focused on your job without a lot of social interaction you did let your guard down and failed to noticed the quality or lack thereof, of your neighbors. Very possible since you saw this as temporary.

I would never live along Lakeshore Pkwy. Not because it is a bad area, but because it is isolated and an area that is traveled by unsavory people on the far west end of town that mean no good to anyone. They are opportunist always at the ready.
Don't be fooled by gated apt. complexes. There is little real securty provided. The security you should look for is an area that is not isolated and drive the area, what is around it should appealing, if anything about it seems questionable don't consider it.

In your position I would get an apt. at LANE PARKE right away and you will know you are as safe as you can hope to be without a really huge budget.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 01-02-2015 at 11:39 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 07:14 AM

raj kapoor - thank your for the reply.
In response, I will add that I have in fact been friendly with many of my neighbors. Perhaps that is one reason I felt safe living there initially - the people are all so nice. Yes, the incident was at night, but no later than anyone would expect to be coming home on a regular basis. I know it was an unfortunate circumstance, but I listed those locales in my original post to highlight that I am a savvy traveler and know how to be aware of my surroundings and be cautious, yet this still happened and now I need to move. I always seek advice regarding where to live when I go to a new city for a long project. Not one person told me Lakeshore would be questionable. In fact, it was the exact opposite. Everyone said it was a nice area and I would love hiking at Red Mountain park.

Thank you for the advice. Lane Park was actually on my list of places. Also looking a little further down 280. I was initially advised to stay away from 280 because it would be "traffic hell." At this point, I don't care about the commute, I just want to feel safe for my renaming 4 months here.

I would actually like to find a short term option that doesn't involve signing a lease or long term commitment if anyone is aware of something. I would like to stay at $1250 or less a month if possible. The corporate housing places are all $2000 or higher.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:14 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
The apt. complex on the hill across from the Hilton would be the only complex on US280 that I would consider safe. The ones around Inverness are all bad. Sorry to say. (exception, Lake Heather, very secure)

No one told you Lakeshore Pkwy (as opposed to Lakeshore Drive) was bad because it is not a bad area. You may be aware of Ross Bridge just west of there. And yes, I love what is happening at Red Mountain Park and walk there. (I would not be comfortable if there were not multiples of other people)
The reason for the caveat on the apts. on Lakeshore is that they lie next to a struggling shopping center, Wildwood, where many people were robbed, raped, and murdered through the years. Therefore the center has been dying so slowly for years. Why did this happen. Because Lakeshore can be and is used as a route to Birmingham's two worst areas, West End / Ensley. In passing through to go to Hoover or other areas those that pass through can't resist an opportunity to take advantage of anyone they can, including each other. It has been changing for the better over the past twenty years, but it will take a few more corporate developements out that way before we see the numbers of citizen activity reach the critical mass that offers protection in numbers. (sometimes known as willing witnesses)

Good luck again, I think you are smart to move even for a short time.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Happy to report I found a place in Mountain Brook today. I move next week. Feeling very relieved. Thanks again for the input.!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
Pull up the crime maps of ANY city that want to live in. Stay as far as you can away from the Xs that mark robberies, rapes, murder etc. If you see thuggery about lock your car door or cross the street to a well lit area if on foot. Profile. Crime has a demographic component. Avoid those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area